Author Topic: CalSci Large  (Read 7880 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
CalSci Large
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:50:23 AM »
I bought a CalSci Large for my 2010 Concours 14 ABS in an effort to find better wind protection at highway speeds.  I was experiencing enough buffeting that I'd get a headache after 30 minutes or so of Interstate travel.

Ordering from CalSci was simple and communication is good.  The shield definitely performs better than stock, and I only feel a little bit of buffeting on the top of my head at 70+.  I have started feeling the back pressure for the first time, though.  Feels like somebody is sitting on the pillion and pushing my head and shoulders toward the speedometer.  I'm not sure if I'm going to be ok with this, yet.  I might have to go with a Tall or something. 

Compared to the stock, it blocks more air so on hot days it's a trade off, but it's much nicer at speed.   It flows more air at the down position than the VStream I had on for a week and doesn't protect quite as much at speed, either.  I would be looking through the VStream at full rise, and I'm looking about an inch or two over the CalSci at the same position.  The VStream flexes like crazy when up, but I've noticed very little movement on the CalSci.  Very clear without any noticeable distortion.

With the right size screen, I'd definitely recommend these windshields.   For reference, I'm 6', ~200.

CalSci in down position

Full up

down again

up again

side view - full up
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: CalSci Large
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
I tried the Large CalSci too and also noticed the back pressure. I've got the V-Stream now and for me I like it better as it's movement doesn't bother me. I also have fully adjustable hand wings, so if I need a little more air, I can get it.

Now all this proves is that each of us is different and what works for one, might not work for someone else.

6'1"/34" inseam, 240 lbs.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
Good to know it's not just me.  I'm thinking I'm going to try to live with it since I want more airflow and it's a good middle ground.  I'll be taking a 2-3 day trip soon, so I'll get a good feel for whether I can deal with it long-term.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
I have the tall, not the large.  With the shield up, do you feel air hitting your hands?  The worst part about the tall for me is that I like it for the winter, but with the screen up, the air dumps RIGHT on my hands, so the heated grips aren't quite enough.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
I have the tall, not the large.  With the shield up, do you feel air hitting your hands?  The worst part about the tall for me is that I like it for the winter, but with the screen up, the air dumps RIGHT on my hands, so the heated grips aren't quite enough.

Good point.  I forgot to mention that. Yesterday on my ride home from the MSF ERC class, I caught myself thinking, "Man, I'm really feeling the wind on my hands and wrist."  I chalked it up to not having ridden at those speeds for a week or two, but it definitely could have been the shield's shape.  That pointy part on the side is moved above the grips when the shield is elevated, so that makes sense.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline W14

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
Good report on the CalSci, which was next on my list after a  CeeBailey and VStream...now having second thoughts. There appears to be no perfect windshield. I have used the VStream for the last year and I am not unhappy with it. Air flow is sufficient in the summer, and protection is adequate in the winter. I have adjusted to the buffeting and flexing, but this happens in high winds or when I am in the wake of a car or truck. In "clean air" (no high winds or vehicles near), it does a great job at interstate speeds. Have not experienced the air hitting my hands as mentioned by several others.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Good report on the CalSci, which was next on my list after a  CeeBailey and VStream...now having second thoughts. There appears to be no perfect windshield. I have used the VStream for the last year and I am not unhappy with it. Air flow is sufficient in the summer, and protection is adequate in the winter. I have adjusted to the buffeting and flexing, but this happens in high winds or when I am in the wake of a car or truck. In "clean air" (no high winds or vehicles near), it does a great job at interstate speeds. Have not experienced the air hitting my hands as mentioned by several others.

This is what I'm coming to believe as well.  I didn't disklike the VStream.  It blocked too much wind for normal commuting in hot weather, but it did a good job at faster speeds.  I still felt a little turbulence on the top of my head even with it, but that could be partially due to my helmet (Scorpion EXO-400).  I didn't think the shape would protect my pillion as well, either, but it's hard to get any details from her.  Anything short of a Goldwing is probably too much wind in her opinion. 

The Cee Bailey shape looks like it would have many of the same faults as the CalSci.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
It's interesting that you guys are mentioning the back pressure from the CalSci Large.  I have the same shield and feel like it pretty well eliminated the back pressure compared to my stock '09 shield.  Anytime you put a big sheet of plastic up in the wind you're going to end up with a low pressure area behind it though.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline seajay

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
It's interesting that you guys are mentioning the back pressure from the CalSci Large.  I have the same shield and feel like it pretty well eliminated the back pressure compared to my stock '09 shield.

+1
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »
The worst part about the tall for me is that I like it for the winter, but with the screen up, the air dumps RIGHT on my hands, so the heated grips aren't quite enough.

This is the problem will all of the current shields (including the new wide from I think CalSci). You need to add some hand wings of some sort that will continue to deflect the air from your hands no matter which shield you have.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »
I hated the stock w/s on my 2011 Connie...so I bought a Vstream but didn't like it, so I bought the calsci wide edition in the large size...still not satisfied so I bought the tall screen, again in the wide edition and like it.

If anyone needs an almost new (300-400 miles) calsci large in the 2010+ sizing, excellent condition, no scratches let me know. $175 plus shipping.

Thx

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:52 AM »
Yesterday I hit I-65 to try out a new Bell RS-1 helmet, and I did confirm the wind on the hands increases pretty significantly when the shield is raised to full up.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
Sorry, up there I did mean I have the "large" and also have an extra large.  What I don't have is a WIDE. 

Do you think the wide also dumps the air right on your hands?

I detest the look of the wings.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
Do you think the wide also dumps the air right on your hands?

Just from the photos that I've seen, the wide "looks" to only block (to some point) the air when it is down. It "looks" to not block at the highest setting.
The Pope

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »

That's weird.  I noticed the back pressure more with the Vstream.  I got the XL Calsci and like it.  IIRC it's the same height as the Vstream.   If you want to compare, maybe swap shields for a quick test, let me know.  We're in the same neck of the woods (I'm just South of Franklin) 

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
That's weird.  I noticed the back pressure more with the Vstream.  I got the XL Calsci and like it.  IIRC it's the same height as the Vstream.   If you want to compare, maybe swap shields for a quick test, let me know.  We're in the same neck of the woods (I'm just South of Franklin)

I'm going to be out of town on a bike trip this weekend, but I might take you up on that depending on the results. We'll have to get together for a ride at some point.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
I was wondering who BruceR was asking as there's a Franklin near me too!  :o  ::)
The Pope

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
I was wondering who BruceR was asking as there's a Franklin near me too!  :o  ::)

Good point.  I was assuming he meant Franklin, TN, but Bruce might need to clarify.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:50 AM »
Good point.  I was assuming he meant Franklin, TN, but Bruce might need to clarify.

I even looked at his profile ...... And Like So Many Others ..... They don't have their location filled out in their profile!  :battle:
The Pope

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »
Sorry about that guys.  Franklin, TN  :-\