Author Topic: Cycle Gear rant  (Read 14631 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Cycle Gear rant
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
I never go to the uber-squiddish Cycle Gear stores but needed a frogtogg suit quick for a tiny gal and they were the only game in town with a size small in stock.

So I figured while I was in there I'd pick up a KNN 303 oil filter for the Connie.  14.99???   HELLO, WTF???   What is happening hear? Needless to say i didn't buy it.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline texrider

Re: Cycle Gear rant
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
If you're going to use boutique filters, you have to dig deep into the wallet my friend!  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
If you're going to use boutique filters, you have to dig deep into the wallet my friend!  ;D

Naw, I pay half that for those filters at reputable performance establishments
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
Our C14 friend Murph carriers them 6 for $56  :D

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=312

Offline texrider

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
Never a bad time for a good oil filter link.  ;)

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
2014 Valkyrie

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »
I haven't shopped there since they started carrying 90% Bilt and Sedici and eliminating their stock of brand name motorcycle gear.

Head over to Napa and pick up a Napa Gold 1358 (Wix) filter...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
I haven't shopped there since they started carrying 90% Bilt and Sedici and eliminating their stock of brand name motorcycle gear.

I stopped before they put that house brand JUNK on the shelves. But i humbly go in there at rare times such as needing an off size women's frogtoggs with no time to order.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
Never a bad time for a good oil filter link.  ;)

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Nice, but I can find C14 or ZX14 on that chart?  I may be losing  my eye sight at my old age of 47

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
Anyway, I'm getting from a reliable source (bikeland) that all of these will work on our bikes:

Hi-Flo Filtro HF 303
Mobil 1 M1-108 and M1-110
K&N KN 303
K&N (automotive) is a hp -1008
Fram Ph6017A
Purolator L14612, is shorter than PL14610
Purolator PL14610, extended length, flows 7-9/9-11 gpm - conflicting info on flo in the posts
Ac Delco PF1237
WIX 51365
Hastings LF-113 short and LF- 240f is the longer version
Amsoil EAO 103
Napa Gold 1358
NAPA 1356, flows 9-11 gpm, which is the equivalant to the Purolator PL14610 flows 7-9 gpm (but if you type in "PS" before any of the NAPA numbers, you come up with the powersports series which in the case of the:
Purolator L14612
NAPA 1365/PS1365, same as the PL14610 except about .825" shorter

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
I will support CG, but a nice discount helps in that regard.  I rarely buy anything in stock and since I've been such a good customer things come in quicker than most.  Our local store also provides a %10-15 discount for riders who have recently completed a BRC or ERC class.
And Steve, what did ol Murph do to ya?  Hard to beat his price and close to impossible to beat their service.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
I will support CG, but a nice discount helps in that regard.  I rarely buy anything in stock and since I've been such a good customer things come in quicker than most.  Our local store also provides a %10-15 discount for riders who have recently completed a BRC or ERC class.
And Steve, what did ol Murph do to ya?  Hard to beat his price and close to impossible to beat their service.

+1

I've got nothing but positive experience to speak of dealing with Murph!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »
Our C14 friend Murph carriers them 6 for $56  :D

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=312

Steve, that's $56 + $32 = $88 for 6 filters, free shipping.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wendel

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:54 AM »
I was just about to post about the price of Murph's filters. The $56 for six is an add on to the price of $32 for two filters. So from my understanding 8 filters for $88 equals $11 each shipped. I do not know what the price is locally for the K&N filters. I try to order from Murph when I can, just do not know if I will use 8 filters in the near future.
2012 C14

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
What's wrong with the OEM filters, I change the oil every 3,000 miles. My dealer charges right at $9.00 for them, Not bad considering no shipping and he's only 10 miles away.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the OEM filters, but I think most people want K&N for the ease of install/removal using the integrated nut.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
I have 3 reasons why the K&Ns from Murph, one I support Murph, 2 the nut, and 3 could be controversial, with the K&N I do not get the timing chain rattle at start up, it just aint there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:43 AM »
I was just about to post about the price of Murph's filters. The $56 for six is an add on to the price of $32 for two filters. So from my understanding 8 filters for $88 equals $11 each shipped. I do not know what the price is locally for the K&N filters. I try to order from Murph when I can, just do not know if I will use 8 filters in the near future.

Sorry Wendel, that's incorrect.

From Murph's site.

"We sell 'em by the pair, therefore the price shown above is for two filters. You can also get yourself a set of 6 by choosing the correct option in the drop down list, and save a few bucks over the long haul!"
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »
Sorry Wendel, that's incorrect.

From Murph's site.

"We sell 'em by the pair, therefore the price shown above is for two filters. You can also get yourself a set of 6 by choosing the correct option in the drop down list, and save a few bucks over the long haul!"

Nope... 88 shipped is right. The 6-pack option is "+56" from the 2-pack. Add to cart if you need confirmation.

To me, $11 vs $15 isn't a huge deal for the convenience of going to a local shop to get a filter. I am in the "I prefer the nut" category (insert joke here).

The CG flyers annoy me because they are just ads for their Bilt stuff, but occasionally they have a decent tool on sale (go ahead, insert another joke here). I did pick up an LED flasher relay recently that worked wonders to slow my blink rate back to stock.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
Well, I guess I'm just stupid.  I'm willing to pay extra for K&N filters (car & bike) for the integrated nut.  CG will ususally match pricing if I have a copy of the ad.  I have Sedici leathers, and they are fine, but I haven't crash-tested them.  I had a pair of Bilt gloves from when they were first introduced that were not well-made.  CG replaced them under warranty and the replacement pair is my favorite glove currently, and one of my all-time favorites.  I have never spent more than $110 on a pair of gloves, so I may not have tried the "really good stuff".  I replaced by FrogToggs (leakage) with a Bilt 2-piece rainsuit which doesn't leak.  It doesn't pack down as nice and small as the FT's, but again, no complaints.  And I've even used some of the Freeze-Out products successfully.  It is possible to find junk, of course, but a bit of care when shopping usually allows you to avoid the stuff that should be left alone.

So Cycle Gear, K&N, Bilt and Sedici are still on my "possible" lists when I go shopping for bike stuff.  FWIW, so is Murph - I've dealt with him successfully as well.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
Well, I guess I'm just stupid.  I'm willing to pay extra for K&N filters (car & bike) for the integrated nut.  CG will ususally match pricing if I have a copy of the ad.  I have Sedici leathers, and they are fine, but I haven't crash-tested them.  I had a pair of Bilt gloves from when they were first introduced that were not well-made.  CG replaced them under warranty and the replacement pair is my favorite glove currently, and one of my all-time favorites.  I have never spent more than $110 on a pair of gloves, so I may not have tried the "really good stuff".  I replaced by FrogToggs (leakage) with a Bilt 2-piece rainsuit which doesn't leak.  It doesn't pack down as nice and small as the FT's, but again, no complaints.  And I've even used some of the Freeze-Out products successfully.  It is possible to find junk, of course, but a bit of care when shopping usually allows you to avoid the stuff that should be left alone.

So Cycle Gear, K&N, Bilt and Sedici are still on my "possible" lists when I go shopping for bike stuff.  FWIW, so is Murph - I've dealt with him successfully as well.

I never said their stuff was junk. I just haven't shopped there since they changed brands. Heck, most of their stuff has a 5+ year warranty...

I'm actually contemplating the purchase of a Bilt or Sedici jacket for my 13 year old daughter. She's not done growing, so it would be a waste of money buying her brand name ridding gear. Ideally I need something mesh with an inner/water resistant liner.