Author Topic: Baldwin Saddle  (Read 6695 times)

Offline nico

Baldwin Saddle
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
I hereby join the many others who have already testified to the effectiveness and quality of the Baldwin saddle. Many of those who have lauded the Baldwin saddle have also praised the exceptional customer service of the man responsible for the Baldwin saddle, Loren. On the latter point, I have an experience I'd like to share.

I ordered a Baldwin GT low cut in vinyl with deluxe rider and passenger heaters on 11 March, and the saddle was ready on 18 April. At the time, on his website it said the lead time was about 6 weeks (I just checked and it now says 12!).

Since I live only about 3 hours away Loren's shop in Baldwin City, Kansas, after I placed my order I asked Loren if it'd be OK if I rode down to his shop to trade my stock saddle for the GT. That'd save me about 50 clams each way in shipping, and be a great excuse to do my first overnighter on the Connie. He replied yes, and almost immediately refunded the shipping fee and the core deposit. I didn't ask for, nor expect this. I though we'd just settle somehow when I showed up to pick up my saddle. The refund was perfectly timed, as I was really wanting to buy a new windshield at the time but just couldn't justify dropping another 200 clams after paying for the saddle. The early refund allowed me to buy the shield too without further draining the savings account.

After Loren informed me that the saddle was ready, I threw a few overnight essentials in one of the bags and headed for Baldwin City via Kansas City (I needed a good barbeque fix). With the thought of what awaited at my destination, the stock seat felt even more uncomfortable than usual on the ride down.

So I arrive at Loren's location, and he takes me into his shop to show me the saddle. His shop is very professional: spacious, tidy and neat, well-lit and full of unfamilliar (to me) equipment. There were several saddles around in the different stations in various stages of production, as well as what appeared to me to be top-quality raw material. On one table, for example, was a beautiful brown cowhide that he said he was about to use for a Triumph Scrambler seat. He also seems to have a thing for Buells, since there were three of them in the shop. But we'll forgive him for that, especially since there was a black Connie in the garage.

Next we take the saddle to my bike, and before putting it on, he offered to wire it up for me. At first we couldn't find the accessory leads. My C14 is a 2012 and his is an earlier model. He fished around in the tail of my bike, where the leads on his bike were, but they didn't seem to be there on mine. I suggested we just wire it directly to the accessory fuse slot in the fuse box.  Sparing all the details, when we couldn't get that to work, we incorrectly trouble shot the problem to the seat. We took the seat back into the shop and tested it, and it checked out fine. We hypothesised it must be something about the power we were getting from the fuse box. I did a quick search on this site from my phone, and learned that the accessory leads on a 2012 are indeed in the tail, but you have to move the ECU out of the way to get to them. To move the ECU out of the way, you first need to remove the plastic toolbox (4 allen bolts). Once the ECU is moved, you'll see a plastic boot with a bunch of wires in it; two of those wires are not connected to anything; they are accessory leads. The one with the exposed connector is negative; the one with the protected connector is positive. We plugged the seat into the accessory leads and the heater turned on.

Another thing to be aware of is the accessory circuit on the 2012 is only 5 amps. That's not enough to support both the rider and the passenger heaters. In Loren's seats, the two are completely independent, with their own sets of wiring and switches. In the ordeal I described above, we wired only the rider's heater to my accessory leads. To get the passenger heater powered up, I'll need to wire a relay directly to the battery, and tap the accessory circuit to switch the relay on and off.

All told, Loren cheerfully spent about 2.5 hours of his valuable time making sure I was set-up and happy (I apologize for the slight additional delay to those of you currently waiting on Baldwins.) Another nice touch was the free Balwin t-shirt he gave me. 

Now, about the saddle itself. Part of my scheme in picking up the saddle in person was that being in Baldwin City put me within a few hours of the Ozarks, a place I've never been but have wanted to visit ever since I was a child reading Old Yeller. So I spent the rest of that day and all of the next day on my Baldwin riding some of the most roller-coaster like roads I have ever ridden through some stunningly beautiful country. (Aside: I've never seen happier cows that the ones I saw in those hills: Munching on grass, relaxing under shade trees reading motorcycle magazines, bathing in ponds). The saddle is just perfect. No more sitting on my 'nads, no more sliding forward, no more pain in my crotch and posterior. The problem is everything else hurts. This is not new, it's always been the case. It's just that before, my aching posterior overrode all the other discomforts. Now I really need to do something about the reach to the handlebars so that I can put all my weight on the Baldwin instead of 80% on the saddle and 20% on the handlebars, as is currently the case.   

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
Re: Baldwin Saddle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
Forum rules Pics are required with this type post Sir!  :P
Jeff

Offline Axxman

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
Duplicate posts on both forums?????
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
Forum rules Pics are required with this type post Sir!  :P

+1...

Offline Axxman

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »

+1...

Jay you know what a Baldwin saddle looks like. Scares me just thinking about it :yikes:
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline nico

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
Pics, as requested.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
Nice write-up!  I've all but decided that I'll be getting the same saddle (minus the heaters) when funds allow.  Seems like a great compromise between looks and comfort.  Did the new saddle significantly change your reach to the bars compared to stock? 
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Gsun

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Any word on the comfort of the passenger seat?

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:27 AM »
Nico-  you stated: "Now I really need to do something about the reach to the handlebars so that I can put all my weight on the Baldwin instead of 80% on the saddle and 20% on the handlebars, as is currently the case."

I now have the same problem with the Russell Day Long.  I was running a Spencer mod, with risers and wedges.  Bar-seat relationship was just about perfect.  With the Day Long I sit higher and slightly further back making the bars just a bit too far for extended comfort.   I just ordered the L.S.T. risers and hope that takes of the problem.  What approach do you think you are going to try?

2010 C14 ABS

Offline nico

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:55:43 AM »
Nice write-up!  I've all but decided that I'll be getting the same saddle (minus the heaters) when funds allow.  Seems like a great compromise between looks and comfort.  Did the new saddle significantly change your reach to the bars compared to stock?

No, the reach isn't significantly different for me with the Baldwin as it was stock. In either case, it's just too far to be comfortable for extended periods.

Offline nico

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
Any word on the comfort of the passenger seat?

As a matter of fact, I took my wife out for an evening spin yesterday. Her first comment was something like "Wow, I feel much higher up." I got the low cut option, and I think Loren has thicker padding in the passenger section. These factors combine to increase the height difference between my head and hers. She liked the better forward view this offered (less of my helmet blocking her view). After a few miles, she said "This is really comfy, way better than the old one." Now I just need to wire up her heater and get her a backrest, and she'll be all set.

Offline nico

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
Nico-  you stated: "Now I really need to do something about the reach to the handlebars so that I can put all my weight on the Baldwin instead of 80% on the saddle and 20% on the handlebars, as is currently the case."

I now have the same problem with the Russell Day Long.  I was running a Spencer mod, with risers and wedges.  Bar-seat relationship was just about perfect.  With the Day Long I sit higher and slightly further back making the bars just a bit too far for extended comfort.   I just ordered the L.S.T. risers and hope that takes of the problem.  What approach do you think you are going to try?

I haven't looked at any of the things you mentioned, but Phil has a potential solution that I'm considering. If you look at reply #8 in the link below, you'll see some pics. I think those extensions are 4" long, which requires longer clutch and brake lines (something I really want to avoid messing with). He said 3" stretches the lines to the limit. But I've done some experimenting while riding and found that if I touch the bars with only my fingertips, I can sit up pretty straight. Based on this, I really think 2" would be plenty for me, and that should be compatible with the stock lines. I'm currently corresponding with him about the possibility of 2" extensions. He charges about 350 for them.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,33835.0.html

Here are some more pics that Phil sent me (there are several pics at the link, use the arrows to see others):

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc213/philipintexas/Bar%20Risers%2018%20Jul%202009/?action=view&current=March20101.jpg

Offline Gsun

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
You always think that you need less. (At least, I do). Go for the three inch ones. I have them and it would be nice to have another inch! But I like them. The lines are stretched to the limit.

Offline nico

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »
You always think that you need less. (At least, I do). Go for the three inch ones. I have them and it would be nice to have another inch! But I like them. The lines are stretched to the limit.

That's good input. Phil sent me a set of experimental 1.5" extensions he had laying around which I can "dry fit" to get a real point of reference. I can't wait till they arrive. The more I think about it, I'll probably end up going with longer extensions and getting longer lines...

Offline Bagger

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
This is what I have for riser blocks ....

MCL's risesr blocks + Phill's wedges + my riser blocks ....
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline nico

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »
This is what I have for riser blocks ....

MCL's risesr blocks + Phill's wedges + my riser blocks ....

Bagger, I like what you did to attach the brake and clutch hose junction blocks at the higher positions. Where did you get those little aluminum extension bars?

Offline Bagger

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Bagger, I like what you did to attach the brake and clutch hose junction blocks at the higher positions. Where did you get those little aluminum extension bars?

I bought a piece of aluminum stock at ACE Hardware ... it's 1/8" X 3/4".  I cut them about 2" and then bent the one on the left, the other is straight.  Rounded off the corners with a file, drilled the proper sized hole and added SS metric screws from MCL's riser kit ... and maybe another one or two I had in stock.

Made some for a friend who got some of the risers I had made.  Hooking him up next week.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."