Author Topic: New tail light question  (Read 3987 times)

Offline JerBear

New tail light question
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »
I ordered this new tail light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=120897355564

The instructions were not in the package but it has two wires (yellow) that are separate from the harness that plug directly into the old factory plug.  I have tried the brake light and running light and they both work fine.  I assume the yellow wires are for the turn signals, I vaguely remember the ad had a reference to turn signal signals as well.  I have access to the plug for the factory turn signal connecters and they have two wires.  I assume one is power and one is ground.  Does anyone have an idea what one I should connect it to or should I leave them alone and just tape them up?  I would need to see what it looked like before I would leave it connected.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: New tail light question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

The instructions were not in the package but it has two wires (yellow) that are separate from the harness that plug directly into the old factory plug.  I have tried the brake light and running light and they both work fine.  I assume the yellow wires are for the turn signals, I vaguely remember the ad had a reference to turn signal signals as well.  I have access to the plug for the factory turn signal connecters and they have two wires.  I assume one is power and one is ground.  Does anyone have an idea what one I should connect it to or should I leave them alone and just tape them up?  I would need to see what it looked like before I would leave it connected.

Congrats JB, I have the same one!

I bet the answer to your question is in this thread link below, sorry I don't remember off hand...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1731.msg74901#msg74901

Offline JerBear

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
Nope I check before posting.  The question was asked and several people talk about hooking them up but no one said how.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »
Nope I check before posting.  The question was asked and several people talk about hooking them up but no one said how.

Well going off memory (which isn't the best), I think that extra wire is for integrating your blinkers into the tail light, which I didn't do. And actually now that I think about it I think some folks tried to do that and did have some problems, so IMO I'd say don't do the blinker integration and just leave that wire be JB...  :-\

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
As I remember, those two wires are for the integrated turn signals. One wire goes to the right turn signal wire (positive side) and the other goes to the other side. As they are both yellow, you will have to check and see which one goes to which side.

There is a problem with that light but it is not with the turn signals; the light requires a diode to function properly with another tail light. Some have run into this issue when using that aftermarket light with something like Givi (or any other type) of additional brake light. If you are only running the one brake light it should not be a problem but check the other thread someone already mentioned for better info. as I am going by memory.

Just as a humorous aside, I just ordered one of those lights. But apparently by mistake, I ordered two lights. I only paid for one of course and have requested the seller to cancel the transaction- we will see how that works out. Suddenly I went from having one C-14 tail light to having three....  :o :D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JerBear

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Well I figured it was the wire that was not black as that is usually the ground anyway.  It works fine I don't have any other lights and I like the turn signals on it too.  Thanks for your help but it's done now and I want to go on a quick, cold ride.   Brrrrr ;D
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
I have the same tail light, but the smoked version.  Here is a video with the blinkers connected in the tail light.  Not that easy to see the blinkers blinking in the tail light, but I like it.  Enjoy.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/ljcorby/?action=view&current=GiviCasewithLights4.mp4
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
I ordered one of these a few months ago and right out of the box it didn't work. Sadly I didn't take it out of the box until it was well past its return deadline, so I'll just pray that it was a fluke and order another one.

Offline nxtdoor

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »
Is this taillight brighter than the stock one?

Jeff

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »
Yes, I believe it is.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
So after reading this thread, I bought one of these things. Measured by the pound, this has probably been the most trouble I have ever had with a farkle and it is mostly (OK, all) my fault.

Things went wrong from the word 'go' when I mistakenly bought two of them from Ebay by mistake (swapped browsers mid- stream and didn't notice the 'other' one was already in my cart). I only paid for one though and sent an e-mail to the seller explaining what I did, apologizing, and asking him / her to cancel one of the lights. 'Jenny' writes back and asks me to give good feedback. ??? No transaction yet so where do I leave ANY feedback? We go back and forth for a couple of iterations and Jenny cancels the extra order. Great. Now I expect to wait the 10 or 15 days as it says in the ad but no, it is in the mailbox in just a few days. Yea!

I open the box and pull out the light- it looks fine, has a three pin connector on the end and the two yellow wires. Now I knew I was going to have to do some soldering and insulating to put this thing in but seeing the connector, I hope against hope that it actually fits my bike (I believe it is originally sold for a Kawasaki 600). I open the bike and sure enough- the connector fits. So I test the light even before beginning the install to make sure it works and plug it in and turn the ign. on.... the tail light is very bright, surprisingly bright but the brake light does not work. Hmmmm. In looking at the connector on the old vs. the new light, the wire colors are different in that they are solid (not striped) on the new light but the main wire colors are reversed between the tail light and brake light. ??? So I remove two pins from the connector, plug them back in the other way and there it is- a bright running light and a much brighter brake light.

So now I begin the actual install by taking off the top box and luggage rack. When I get the taillight and housing out, I cannot figure out how to pop open the housing to release the tail light itself. ??? I pry gently here and there but no soap. So finally I read this entire thread looking for the 'trick', and the other threads about this light but no one mentions anything about how to install it in the tail light housing. ??? Finally I look at the parts fiche and there it is- two screws hold the housing together. The screw wells on my light were absolutely full of fine road dust as was the top of the light so I never even saw the screws. That's what I get for not taking the tail light assembly out and cleaning it in five years.

I mount the new light and notice how short the wires are compared to the stock light but again, as no one else mentioned having a problem with that I assume it will reach. I put the whole thing together, the cable does reach (just) and the light still works. So I open up the wires for the rear directionals, find out which yellow wire is left, solder and insulate the junctions. Everything works great. I button up the back of the bike, the saddle, the luggage rack and the top box and walk away from the bike.... and then remember that I forgot to hook up the cruise control brake light wire to the new brake light! (#*$**$%&#&^). So now I have to go back and either open up the back of the bike again and attach that wire or find another place that is easier to get to and attach the CC brake light wire there. Unbelievable.

Even after that convoluted mess, I still like the new light. It is brighter, both running and brake light, and I think the integrated turn signals are a cool feature (not overly useful but slick looking). The light looks better with the clear cover too in my opinion. So overall I give it three thumbs up.... hey wait, it is really only two thumbs up but I was so happy with the new tail light....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
Off topic, Brian - what kind of cruise control do you have?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »
A Rostra. You can take a look at the installation here: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Rostra%20install.htm

But watch yourself 'cause I know that guy and he is a bit shaky.

Brian

Off topic, Brian - what kind of cruise control do you have?

Offline jonathan

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »
BDF, thanks for the inspiration. Your mention of pins in your installation story got me thinking, so I went and tested my light again. The pins in the connector were scrambled. The light does work if you apply voltage to the proper wires, however some of the LEDs are defective, so I ordered another unit anyway.