Author Topic: Best handlebar solution for someone 6' tall  (Read 10215 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Best handlebar solution for someone 6' tall
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
Can you use Phils wedges with the Murph's kit risers without changing the cables? How do they change the angle of the bars?

I believe the Murphs risers are almost identical to the Helibars (that I have installed).  I don't know what a "Phils wedges" is (did I miss something?)  But if they were to add any more rise or back, I think it might be pushing it.  I could comfortably bolt the banjos on after the Helibars risers, but it didn't look like there was much extra left to do anything.  On the old board, I saw someone add something else to rise or tilt more, but they had to leave the banjos detached and floating...  Not sure about the throttle cables & wires, but I imagine it would be a similar situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
I'm exactly 6-nothing. Have the 2" risers and they're okay, but I'm going to get the LSV bars and mounts shortly. The risers help, but the angle is still wrong.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
"Can you use Phils wedges with the Murph's kit risers without changing the cables? How do they change the angle of the bars?"

The wedges only add approx. .300" in height under the outer-most of the three bolts in the stanchion base. This tilts the bars in toward the steering bearing making the bars more horizontal, and slightly shortens the spread of the bar-ends. This does not increase the span of the hoses, so, yes they can be used on TOP of risers. You may need a couple longer bolts though. On my bike, I re-routed the throttle cables from in front of the R. fork, to behind the fork and secure them with a cable-tie to the fork. 

This photo shows the effect of the wedges on the handle-bars. The bar in the foreground is stock, the rear is sitting on the "wedge". Keep in mind the photo is on a flat surface but the top-clamp tilts toward the driver so the bars come very slightly closer.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
Can you use Phils wedges with the Murph's kit risers without changing the cables? How do they change the angle of the bars?
Yes. The angle brings the bars a little closer to each other, & that in turn makes the bars flatter across the top, and raises the ends of the bars about an inch and 1/4. If a little height is all that is needed, Phils wedges will do the job alone also.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
This photo shows the effect of the wedges on the handle-bars. The bar in the foreground is stock, the rear is sitting on the "wedge". Keep in mind the photo is on a flat surface but the top-clamp tilts toward the driver so the bars come very slightly closer.

Excellent info/picture!  Thanks
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
I am 6ft and was miserable on this bike. I just couldn't get comfortable. Then I bought the lsl bars and feel in love all over again! Sits me perfectly.

Same here for me. 
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
 you have to check the second number which is distance moved toward you. the genmar moved it 1 and 1/4 inch closer , im not sure but they may differ in this .  get as close to you as possible.

check all the 2inch riser specs and then make your decision.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
I'm 5' - 10" and I sit comfortably. There are some other solutions, heli-bars has an expensive one, and Murph sells adapters to switch the bars.

Phillip, these look suspiciously like yours... http://www.helibars.com/photo-gallery/coming-soon-multi-adjustable-helibars-handlebars-concours14
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George