Author Topic: Best handlebar solution for someone 6' tall  (Read 10224 times)

Offline tretnine

• Behind Bars Motorcycles and Life
Best handlebar solution for someone 6' tall
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
Ok, I'm only 5' 11.5" but the stock bars are killing me, they're too low, too far forward, and the pullback is too extreme - it bends my wrists. I have to lean forward and down, which makes my back and duff hurt, plus all the leaning on my hands mixed with the pullback makes the outside of my hands go numb.

I've seen the thread with all the links to risers - what are the opinions of users who have them? (Particularly you 6' tall folk)

Is there any other solution that's adds a bit of position flexibility? (If there is, it probably breaks the bank.)

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
Re: Best handlebar solution for someone 6' tall
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
tretnine, I have Heli risers, I think they are the tallest? Also a back rest and forward pegs so I can change up my riding position........blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
I'm 5' - 10" and I sit comfortably. There are some other solutions, heli-bars has an expensive one, and Murph sells adapters to switch the bars.

Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Phillipintexas, that is the best bar mod I have seen. Looks good and functoinal.....blanton

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
By the way, what do you call them?

Offline tretnine

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:07:34 PM »
Phil, did you fab that yourself, or do you have a link where I can check it out?

The Heli risers are looking like the best option otherwise. The LSL systems look great, but with payments still to be made on the machine I don't want to go overboard.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
I have the 2" Helibar risers and they work great for me.  :thumbs:

But I'm not 6' tall, only 5'8"...

Have you thought about getting a lower seat? Not that you need it to reach the ground at your height but it will make your bars higher when riding...

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »
I just call them Bar Extenders, they are the results of about a year of experiments and really do the trick, at least for me. I also have wedges under the stanchions that tilt everything in and make the bars more horizontal. My wrists are in less of a twist this way. In fact I sit in almost the same position as on my Goldwing. I'd be happy to work with anyone who is in a position to manufacture them.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline tretnine

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
That's one of the things I wanted most - the change of the angles. It's hard on my wrists and hands. I think the back and butt stuff will settle down a bit with some risers, but different stalks or your extenders would really do the trick. How much did it cost you to make them, and what are they made out of? I might have the time, space and supplies to make them this summer. I'll be at my in-laws - my father in law was a machinist.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
Ok bro i feel your pain and this happens to be your lucky day.
 Im also 6ft tall and had the same problems you do with comfort on my 11 connie.  i originally went with MCL risers which were close but not tall enough or back far enough for me. I got rid of those and went with the genmar 2inch risers which are just perfect!   get them and you'll be comfortable.

be sure to click the drop down box and selt the 2 inch riser.  no cable modifications necessary.
https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/GenMar_Handlebar_Risers_for_Kawasaki_Concours14_p/40003.htm

Offline tretnine

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the input, Rtarp. It's good to hear from someone in the same height range as myself. I'd be happy with those or another 2" rise, then. Is there an actual difference between this 2" rise and the other(s?)

Looks like either way, a 2" rise will be how I start

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Ok, I'm only 5' 11.5" but the stock bars are killing me, they're too low, too far forward, and the pullback is too extreme - it bends my wrists. I have to lean forward and down, which makes my back and duff hurt, plus all the leaning on my hands mixed with the pullback makes the outside of my hands go numb.

I've seen the thread with all the links to risers - what are the opinions of users who have them? (Particularly you 6' tall folk)

I am nowhere near 6' tall, so you can imagine JUST HOW MUCH MORE DIFFICULT the stock height was for me :)  I am 5'7", you are "only" 5' 11.5"?  "Only"?  You have no right to complain, Mr. Long Arms...

Anyway, I used the Helibars risers.  Excellent workmanship.  Bolted up perfectly.  No mods needed.  I still wish they were about 1" closer to me, but it looks like nothing does that.  No flexibility though, it is what it is.  But, it was a successful mod.  Recommend
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
Phillipintexas, that is the best bar mod I have seen. Looks good and functoinal.....blanton

The problem with those [bar extenders] is that it makes the grips spread apart a few inches.  I wasn't willing to do that.  Otherwise, I did find them interesting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »
I am 6ft and was miserable on this bike. I just couldn't get comfortable. Then I bought the lsl bars and feel in love all over again! Sits me perfectly.

Offline tretnine

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:40 AM »
The LSL bars look like the best option, but given my situation (soon-to-be unemployed, moving to Europe, and still making payments) the cheaper option of the 2" risers is perfect. I'm happy that the bars will be further apart - right now my arms are forced together.

The only question that remains: Is there any appreciable difference between one set of 2" risers and another set of 2" risers?

Offline tretnine

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Ordered a set of GenMar 2" risers. Expecting good things!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
I'm exactly 6' tall, and if anything they are too high for me.  They feel like ape hangars.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
Ordered a set of GenMar 2" risers. Expecting good things!

I used GenMar on my previous bike- ZRX, and they fit and worked fine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »
I'm exactly 6' tall, and if anything they are too high for me.  They feel like ape hangars.

Yeah, that is why I was questioning his sanity when he was complaining!  SHORTER people (like me) should be the ones with the right to complain  ;)   We must remember, however, that everyone's bodies, expectations, and needs are different.  This is why I am a *big* fan of manufacturers building in body mechanics ADJUSTABILITY into anything they can.  Other than the windshield and maybe the nice headlight adjusters, Kawasaki generally fails in that category (of course, they are not alone).

Offline incabird

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Can you use Phils wedges with the Murph's kit risers without changing the cables? How do they change the angle of the bars?
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH