Author Topic: Shops will not switch out tires?  (Read 14408 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Shops will not switch out tires?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
I bought a shinko raven front tire off internet. There is only a Honda dealer about a mile away. And another motorcycle mechanic place about 5 miles. The honda place flat out refused to switch out the tire if I did not buy from them. The other mechanic was going to charge me $40 to switch out the tire because I did not buy from them. I have the wheel off. Is that how changing tire at a shop plays out?? The last time I had a shop change tire, it was not like that at all. I had a surgery couple weeks back and not feeling up to changing tire - I do not have a tire changer so use to do it old fashion way. So, was not feeling up to doing it myself. But what the shops indicated is a new revelation for me ! Anyone with same experience?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Elfmaze

Re: Shops will not switch out tires?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
Shops can be moody at times because for the most part they have no competition.   When you get sick of irons time to get a "No-Mar"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
That is pretty normal for allot of shops.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »
Talked to a shop here around Houston that will not change a tire that was bought on the internet. He said many tires bought on the internet from discount places have possible defects, and that they (the shop) didn't want the liability if anything were to happen.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
Same story here. They also told me internet tires can sometimes be older runs, too.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »
Well, I guess gonna have to do it old fashion way. Just need a way to balance the wheel.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
You might post your location.  There are a number of forum members with tire changing equipment, and some may be close to you.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Colt45

• COGnito Ergo Zoom
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
I hear the "old", "defect" argument all the time.  Truth really is that the Internet dealers turn over most tires so fast they never get old and the brick and mortar stores have years old tires on the shelves because they charge so much no one will buy them. 
John 
'09 Concours 14  '00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattanooga 
COG/IBA

Offline john05.636

• MSF Certified RiderCoach
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
You might have a Cycle Gear store near you. I believe they charge $20 to mount and balance, but you need to bring the wheel off the bike.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
The last time I called the dealer closest to me (Honda/Yamaha) they said it would cost me $450 if I brought my wheels in to them ($400 for the PR2's and $50 to put them on).  I asked if they would cut me a better deal or match an internet price since I can get the tires for under $300.  It is amazing to me how they would rather charge a crazy high price to a couple people rather than charge a reasonable price and have a lot of happy customers.  I don't expect them to match an internet price but if they can get within $10 I would be happy to give them my business.

The Kawasaki dealer 30 minutes from my house on the other hand will happily mount a tire I bought on the internet and they will also give very competitive prices on the tires.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
You might post your location.  There are a number of forum members with tire changing equipment, and some may be close to you.
I am in Jacksonville, IL about 30 miles west of Springfield, IL.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
Talked to a shop here around Houston that will not change a tire that was bought on the internet. He said many tires bought on the internet from discount places have possible defects, and that they (the shop) didn't want the liability if anything were to happen.

Let me see if I got this right. What your shop is saying is that a company like Michelin sells tires with known defects and only to shops that do business on the internet. It's crap like this that is the reason I started doing it myself.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »
Well, I guess gonna have to do it old fashion way. Just need a way to balance the wheel.

Couple of good bearings and an axle. Or this, pricey but this works very well: http://www.marcparnes.com/Universal_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

Offline Stasch

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
2 jack stands with your axle spanned across them (with the wheel on) will work too.

Makes a nice and cheap balancing stand.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline JerBear

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
I just had a PR3 front tire installed on my bike.  They charged me 176 dollars OTD but I brought the rim with the old tire on it.  They provided the new one and changed/balanced it, I thought that was a fair price.  I save 40 bucks by taking it off myself and bringing it there but their price is very close to Internet for rhte tire.  I go to Vetesnik in Richland Center Wi.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »
I hear the "old", "defect" argument all the time.  Truth really is that the Internet dealers turn over most tires so fast they never get old and the brick and mortar stores have years old tires on the shelves because they charge so much no one will buy them.

Agreed.  It is just a bunch of made up excuses shops will use to try and force people to buy tires from them at way over market rates.

I have ZERO problem with ordering and paying for a tire from a local dealer, and I will even pay more for the convenience.  But how much more is "reasonable" is always the question.  5%?  Sure.  10%?  probably.  15%?  That is pushing it.   25%?  NO
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
Agreed.  It is just a bunch of made up excuses shops will use to try and force people to buy tires from them at way over market rates.

I have ZERO problem with ordering and paying for a tire from a local dealer, and I will even pay more for the convenience.  But how much more is "reasonable" is always the question.  5%?  Sure.  10%?  probably.  15%?  That is pushing it.   25%?  NO
Same here. I hate changing tires. If the local shop is reasonable I'll do business with them.

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
Yup, pretty normal excuse for the shops so instead of getting some of my business they get none at all. I've saved a bunch of money buying off the internet and changing them myself over the years.

I've seen a static balance made from a factory axle and a couple of jack stands. simple and it works
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
What amazes me is that they are missing out on a chance to sell themselves - which is what sales is all about when you get right down to it.  If I were the dealer I'd make lemonade out of Lemons.  I'd tell them I will mount a tire for them this time if they will do me the courtesy of checking my tire prices the next time.  I would hand them a business card with a short note on the back and ask them to bring my card back in next time and ask for me (as a reminder to me as to what happened). Then I'd get within 10% or less of the internet price and try my damnedest to make a customer for life out of them.  And I don't mean to brag, but I'd bet anything that 9 times out of 10 I would succeed.  I know for a fact that many dealers will discount parts and accessories if you approach them right.  And as others here have said, I don't care if they are at internet prices as long as they are within spitting distance.  Most customers would rather do business locally if they can.   
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline pcaddict66

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Just like anyone, I look for a good deal and buy stuff online all the time. However, sometimes I am willing to pay more for good service.
When it comes to my Connie, I usually buy locally. My dealer went out of business last year and the next nearest dealer is horrible!
Lucky for me the service manager and his boyhood friend who also turned wrenches there opened up their own shop doing service and repairs. They are the most talented bike techs I ever met and they are honest guys. I just had a ton of maintenance work done on my c14 which included tires. I wanted Conti road attack II's but his distributor did not carry them. He said he could get them but they might be pricier than other brands since he had to get them elsewhere. I explained that I was willing to pay for some mark-up because the bottom line was that if he only relied on labor to pay the lease, bills, insurance, lights, heat, etc that he and his partner would likely not be in business very long.
Not only would I hate to see them close but I also have a stake in making sure he stays open. I don't want to have to find another mechanic that I can trust.
Owning and running a motorcycle business can be tough. Think about it. At least here in New England, you basically have about 8 months maximum business. When it is cold nobody comes in the door. Motorcycle sales are down in this recession and the margin on most brands is rather low. No dealer can make it by just selling bikes and some gear so they need to make money in service. People think every dollar paid between wholesale and retail is profit! It is not. You need to pay the following........
Lease or mortgage on building
Taxes on the building if owned
Heat
Electricity
Building maintenance and upkeep
Payroll for staff, mechanics, parts counter, sales, etc
Payroll taxes. (Did you know every dollar the employee pays in federal tax is matched and paid to the IRS by the employer too?)
Workers compensation insurance
Medical insurance for staff
Vacation pay
Sick pay
An accountant or book keeper
Signage
Company taxes on profit to state and feds
Advertising
Telephone and internet
And I am sure there are some big things I am missing

So the bottom line is that if a dealer or shop only charges you labor and does not mark up parts they will probably close shop. I am willing to pay more in these instances so long as I am not getting royally shafted. For me those tires were $325 online. I was fine paying $385 because I knew he would take care properly mounting and balancing them for me too.