Author Topic: What Would You Do? (Exhaust Mod)  (Read 3895 times)

Offline curly

What Would You Do? (Exhaust Mod)
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:58:57 AM »
So I picked up an '07 zx-14 exhaust header off ebay and am trying to decide what I want to do with it. Go dual or stay single?

The pros of the dual set-up is it looks great. The cons are coming up with a left side hanger, removing or modifying the center stand, and the cost (quality zx-14 pipes ain't cheap).

The other option is to cut off the left outlet and cap it then stay with the stock can or go with a single aftermarket slip-on. The pros of this would be no worry about left side hanger or center stand issues and the bike could retain the stock look and big money savings over dual canisters.

The con would be it just wound'nt look as good. Also, there may be an issue of the stock midpipe not fitting up with the '07 header diameter wise.

Also, I'm not looking for more horsepower or loud. If I've forgot something let me know.

What would you do?
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What Would You Do? (Exhaust Mod)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
I found a complete set, zx14 header w/mid pipes and dual carbon Muzzys. Bought the left side hanger from Muzzy. Modified the center stand myself. Added PCV w/autotune.

If you are not going duals why bother with the zx header?

Offline curly

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
No cats in the header.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »
If you are not going duals why bother with the zx header?

I am wondering the same thing.  Either do it because you want the "look" of duals, or do it because you want to use it as a starting point for performance mods.

Since the ZX header is a slightly larger diameter, and the older ZX header will have no catalytic converter, even a single can still be used as a base for performance mods.  But since he says he doesn't want performance mods, what is the point of having a single?  It will just look exactly like stock!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
No cats in the header.
Cats aren't a big deal. They are not that restrictive if not going the performance route. Save your time and money and put a slipon on the stock header.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
Go dual for sure.  I have seen some great examples and they look good. Go big or go have beer....
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline curly

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
My heart wants to go dual. I put the stock scud up to the zx-14 header and it's a no go. The diameter of the scud mid-pipe is way bigger than the zx header. That would also rule out an aftermarket single canister made for the connie fitting the zx header without some sort of sleeve.

A little research today turned up some stainless Delkevics brand new for <$300. Anyone have any experience with those?

Also, to clear up any misunderstanding when I said I didn't want any more horsepower I meant more than I got now. I'm running flies out and PCV. I'd just like to get rid of the cats and see if it cuts down on some of the heat output and in the process improve the appearance with the balanced look of the dual exhaust without running into major $$.

'09 in Black.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »
I cut the collector on a 08 zx header removed the cats (two) then rewelded , why don't you do the same with your stockie ? I thought the 07 had smaller tubes?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
There is a guy on the zx forum with brand new Leo Vince duals for $400. 
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
There is a guy on the zx forum with brand new Leo Vince duals for $400.
Is he selling the mid pipes too or just the cans?

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »
Brand new kit everything , still in original box.
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver