Author Topic: FOB and Gas Station  (Read 10429 times)

Offline stewart

FOB and Gas Station
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:55:52 AM »
I had the 2010 for 2+ years now and never experienced a KIPASS problem, but I've followed the various threads with intrest on both forums. One variable noted by others is the occurance of RF interference.

Well, I was filled up at the Gas station yesterday and the bike reported LOW Battery on the Transponder, started ok but as I road for the next 10mins of so the warning was display until I cleared it. A dinner stop later for 1.5hrs and the warning went away when I restarted.

So is the battery low or was this just RF interferance I wonder?
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline JamminJere

Re: FOB and Gas Station
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
Ive had the same problem at a Mobil fast pass station years ago... Could have been interference,  if it happens again, away from any interference, put a new CR2021 battery in the fob

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline wendel

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:36 AM »
On my first C14 this was the pattern to the battery going dead. How old is the battery? If  the interference never happened before, then replace battery.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:08:34 AM by wendel »
2012 C14

Offline stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
On my first C14 this was the pattern to the battery going dead. How old is the battery? If it the interference never happened before, then replace battery.

Brought a crated new 2010 in March 2010, and no its never happened before. I always carry the mini FOB with me so I have no concerns. I'll monitor and if it dies I'll replace the battery.

Otherwise it was a nice fresh ride up to Maine, I love this bike.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
I had the 2010 for 2+ years now and never experienced a KIPASS problem, but I've followed the various threads with intrest on both forums. One variable noted by others is the occurance of RF interference.

Well, I was filled up at the Gas station yesterday and the bike reported LOW Battery on the Transponder, started ok but as I road for the next 10mins of so the warning was display until I cleared it. A dinner stop later for 1.5hrs and the warning went away when I restarted.

Could be either.  Gas pumps that use those "fast pass" type things have passive RFID readers in them.  This means they have to project a fairly powerful signal that can power passive RFID fobs from a short distance.  These might be on the same frequency as the active/passive RFID system used on the Concours and certainly could cause some strange interference.

That said, I have never experienced this problem on my 2011.  AND, it seems typical for batteries in the active fobs to start to die at two to three years.

I wouldn't worry about it much.  Just go with the flow.  If you start getting the message more often, then just replace the batteries in the active fob and move on :)   Remember, you can't be stranded, since the active fob is ALSO a passive fob and can be used to start the bike by placing it in contact with ignition key stem for a moment.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »
Your gonna let a $2 battery keep u from possibly starting your bike?  Just buy a new battery for your FOB already, it literally takes 30sec to replace.

I just replaced the FOB battery in my 2010 which i bought in march of 2010.
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
Even the al-mighty powerful KiPass must have a fresh source of energy to perform at optimal levels.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
Nice one, Steve! :D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Your gonna let a $2 battery keep u from possibly starting your bike?  Just buy a new battery for your FOB already, it literally takes 30sec to replace.

+1...

Just replace the fob batt bro, sounds like that's what's happening, mine did the same about 3 months ago, replaced the fob batt and hasn't done it since...

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
Your bike is a 2010, probably made in 2009 so when it was made the battery was put in the FOB, it's almost 3 years old, replace it. I replaced both mine about 3 months after I got my new 09.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »

I just replaced the FOB battery in my 2010 which i bought in march of 2010.

Irrelevant argument.  As noted in the post just above yours, the battery in the FOB is not needed to start the bike.

<snip>I wouldn't worry about it much.  Just go with the flow.  If you start getting the message more often, then just replace the batteries in the active fob and move on :)   Remember, you can't be stranded, since the active fob is ALSO a passive fob and can be used to start the bike by placing it in contact with ignition key stem for a moment.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stewart

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »

+1...

Just replace the fob batt bro, sounds like that's what's happening, mine did the same about 3 months ago, replaced the fob batt and hasn't done it since...

Ok Ok keep your knickers on, I'll replace it after the Easter bunny comes.

I love this forum, its like being back home in Australia with my 3 brothers....plenty of opinions.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Yes, it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Yes, it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Who......his 3 brothers? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
No, Mr. Asshat, the diversity of opinions.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »
Great thread- lots of twists and turns, with the occasional insult, all in response to a pretty logical and reasonable question. Great job guys!  ;D

I do not believe any type of outside interference would cause the KiPass system to report that the fob had low voltage from the battery. Some gas stations have been reported to interfere with KiPass but they simply block the radio signal between the fob and the KiPass ECU so nothing will work until the bike is moved a few feet away from that pump.

It is most likely that you simply do have a weak battery in the fob. Just grab a package of new batteries almost anywhere and change both fob batteries. By the way, the battery is a CR 2025.... a 2032 <almost> fits but is too thick.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Great thread- lots of twists and turns, with the occasional insult, all in response to a pretty logical and reasonable question. Great job guys!  ;D

Brian

I would expect no less of our members.  :thumbs:

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

I do not believe any type of outside interference would cause the KiPass system to report that the fob had low voltage from the battery. Some gas stations have been reported to interfere with KiPass but they simply block the radio signal between the fob and the KiPass ECU so nothing will work until the bike is moved a few feet away from that pump.

It is most likely that you simply do have a weak battery in the fob. Just grab a package of new batteries almost anywhere and change both fob batteries. By the way, the battery is a CR 2025.... a 2032 <almost> fits but is too thick.

Brian

You can't change two batteries on the 2010s, unless you bought an extra fob. ::)

Hi Brian! ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
Yep, true enough- those with C-14s made in 2010 or later only have one fob with a battery in it. Us old- timers with earlier bikes have two fobs that require batteries. Just another sign of the changing times. Why when I was young and riding the first year model C-14, things were a LOT tougher. Not like the girly- man riding the  current bikes. We used to carry dozens hundreds of fobs and even then it wasn't enough- you never knew if the bike would start or not. We didn't care 'cause we were tough back in 'dem days.... why I remember trying to ride a C-14 that would not start to school and pushing the bike both ways.... uphill, in the snow! You kids today whine and complain because you have to push the starter button to fire the bike up; back in the good ole' days, we used to start 'em by blowing into the intake ducts hard enough to turn the engines over and remember, we only had 15,000 weight oil back then.... Yep, that's the ticket.

:D

Brian

You can't change two batteries on the 2010s, unless you bought an extra fob. ::)

Hi Brian! ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
+1