Author Topic: What's the going rate for tire remove/install?  (Read 4704 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
What's the going rate for tire remove/install?
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm in the Dallas area, and just paid $82 to have two tires R&R and balanced. Is this normal, or am I going to have to start doing it myself? I had the wheels off the bike and there was a charge for disposal of the old ones....
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline koval68

Re: What's the going rate for tire remove/install?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
$20 - $25 cash per wheel in Ontario (wheels of the bike).
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
Here in California it's generally $10 per tire + $1.75 recycle fee as long as you bring in the wheel/tire only. They generally charge $50 per tire if you bring the bike in and have them remove the wheels and change the tires.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline W14

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
I in the Richmond, VA area, and I have paid much more. For my rear tire, my invoice shows that it took 1.13 hours and the fee was $90 plus tire tax ($0.50) and disposal fee ($2.00). My recollection is that the removal/install of the front tire was around $75. I take mine to my local dealer...don't want anyone else messing with my bike, even changing tires.

My brother has Harley, and he says it costs $90-$100 to remove/install tires.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »
Here in California it's generally $10 per tire + $1.75 recycle fee as long as you bring in the wheel/tire only. They generally charge $50 per tire if you bring the bike in and have them remove the wheels and change the tires.
Not in the part of Calif I'm in. $25.00 if you bring in the wheel off the bike and $65.00 for rear on the bike , one place charged me $85.00 for the rear, (wow, they didn't even kiss me first!!) I won't be going there again. $68.00 for the front.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »
$10 per wheel off the bike if you get some of the track guys to do it. I do my own to save on the cost of the tires and the labor.
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
I in the Richmond, VA area, and I have paid much more. For my rear tire, my invoice shows that it took 1.13 hours and the fee was $90 plus tire tax ($0.50) and disposal fee ($2.00). My recollection is that the removal/install of the front tire was around $75. I take mine to my local dealer...don't want anyone else messing with my bike, even changing tires.

My brother has Harley, and he says it costs $90-$100 to remove/install tires.

It's your money. ;)   In my area it is roughly $32 OTD per tire off bike, no dealer will ever do my tires on bike unless it it totally unavoidable "like on a trip".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
I just ordered some PR3s today- gonna have them installed Friday.  $71.10 per tire, plus a disposal fee.  I seriously need to invest in a tire changer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
My local dealer charged $415 for the PR3's and $35 each wheel, that included them taking the wheels off the bike.
Yeah, I'll get some tools and use my Suzuki as my first self tire install victim.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
Phil,

I bought a set of PR3's at Grapevine Kawasaki. Including taxes, I paid:

$203.46 for the rear ($187.95 for tire)
$145.00 for the front ($133.95 for tire)
$108.78 to pull the tires off the bike, mount and balance, disposal fees, shop fees, etc.

Grand total: $454.24

Paid more than I would have preferred, but was super easy.  ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
You guys that choose to have the dealers do this, you better make sure nothing has been over or under torqued. Are you also sure that the dealers are cleaning and then re-lubing the rear splines with moly lube?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
If you look you can find  front and rear P3 's for $310 free shipping.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
If you look you can find  front and rear P3 's for $310 free shipping.
I've seen them online for as low as $285, free shipping, but they're normally in the $300-310 range.

I paid about $320, no shipping, by buying from the dealer. It's the $26 sales tax that got me! And just over $108 to pull both tires off the bike, mount and balance, and replace.

I checked prices at Kawasaki West. They wanted nearly $300 for the rear tire and I think it was $85 per tire to pull them off the bike for mounting. I think the total was going to be around $620 installed for a set, if I remember correctly, but that's been a few months ago and I've forgotten exactly. Highway robbery!!
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »
 A local independent shop here in Fredericksburg VA charges $25 if you bring in the wheels. Best deal around here.

Offline danl

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
I got a set of PR3's from my dealer for $325. Took my back wheel in, 25 bucks to mount plus I had the glass balancing beads put in, the disposal fees, etc. The front I couldn't remove myself, that was 40 bucks for them to do it plus the beads and disposal.

I've since bought a front fork lift for $45 at CycleWorld, next time I'll remove both myself.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
I think that Cycle Gear charges something like $25 per wheel if you take your wheels in and buy the tires from them. I think it's something like $40 per tire if you bring in your own tires.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
I am 60 miles North of NY City and just paid $25.00 for them to mount and balance a new PR3.  While having the bike inspected(NY State Inspection) the inspector mentioned the cupping and wear on the existing front tire(PR2).  I was well aware of the condition of the tire before I brought it in, but knew that it was good enough to pass NY State Inspection.  The inspector told me that although it passed, he suggested that I should consider replacing it in the near future.  When I told him that I was going to order one in the next few days and install it myself he told me that they would try to match an internet price if given the opportunity and would do the tire install for $25.00 if I brought him just the wheel.  They matched an online price that I brought in ($136.00) but with the taxes and disposal fee the entire thing with installation, balancing, and installing a 90 degree adapter that I supplied came to $172.00.  I heard the tech ask the service manager about the torque spec on the TPMS adapter and to tell you the honest truth I was quite impressed that he would even think to ask.  The service manager looked it up on line for the spec.  I walked away with a good feeling that I got a quality job.  By the way, they did it while I waited.

Fred

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Pretty amazing the disparity between states for the same service. I'm amazed that dealers want to charge different prices for the same service depending on whether you purchase from them.  I've watched them do the job and it takes, maybe 10 minutes to change a tire and a few more to balance it, yet they charge for 1 hour to do two tires. It seems they want to get what they can without regard for future business. Now I have to put a set on my Goldwing, but I'll shop around first.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
I install my own tires.. matter of fact I just replaced my tires with some PR3's last Wed.  I do my own tires for three reasons:  1. no scratches on my rims  2.  no charge  3.  i have the opportunity to lubricate splines and check the condition of spacers and axleshafts.

Offline speed545

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:15 AM »
never tought i would say that, but for once we re not beeing screwed here in Quebec, Canada.

15$ per wheel off the bike, 30$ on the bike. Both place i m doing business with.

A set of PR3s goes for 330$

For the rest, just got my registration renewal and there s a reduction of almost 100$ this year Youhoooooooo. A resonnable 545$  >:(

Ive to go fill up the truck for my easter trip guy, 6.10$ per gallon. Youhooooooooooooo again

Not so great in Quebec finally
 ;)
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept