Author Topic: no bags  (Read 15013 times)

Offline scooter

no bags
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
i know its a touring bike but does anyone ever ride with there bags off? how hard are they to take on and off? can some one post pics of there connie with the bags off thanks

Son of Pappy

Re: no bags
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
http://www.perfect-shotz.com/browse.php?event_id=14&group_id=102
With and without bag pics.  I usually ride with them off, 'less I'm in tour mode.  IMNSHO I would give a strong vote to can the can, the shadow alone without bags has been blamed for global warming and has been proven the most effective method of birth control ever devised by our Japanese brethern, well second only to the new duals on the ZX14 ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
I ride without the sidebags more than I do with them...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Is that a GPS carwash locator on the left bar? ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
Is that a GPS carwash locator on the left bar? ;D

It's a silverdammit detector, let's me know ahead of time to get in the other lane to pass em...  ;)

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
The bags are incredibly easy to remove.  Just unlock them and pull up on the folded handle.  They'll release and lift free of the bike in one smooth motion.

Unless I'm carrying a passenger or going on an extended ride, I usually ride with the bags off.  I used to leave them on, but all the sport bike riders in the group feel that our collective street cred is much higher with the bags off  8).  I agree that the C14 looks amazing with aftermarket exhaust and sans bags.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Locol

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
As Metz said, bags come off with a twist of the key and a lift of the handle.

I Never take my bags off and like the way they look on the the bike. The reason I leave them on is I got too much stuff to carry around. Here in CO the weather is way to unpredictable to ride without rain/cold protection. I have left home at 75 degrees and 1 hr. later have been on Trail Ridge Road in snow.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »
The bags are incredibly easy to remove.  Just unlock them and pull up on the folded handle.  They'll release and lift free of the bike in one smooth motion.

Quite true.  In fact, they will take themselves off at times....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:45 AM »

It's a silverdammit detector, let's me know ahead of time to get in the other lane to pass em...  ;)

:rotflmao:

Dream On bro!   Good one though.

I almost never take my bags off. I HAVE to have my tools and Slime kit/compressor with me at all times. One never knows when one will pick up a wood screw in the rear tire.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »
:rotflmao:

Dream On bro!   Good one though.

I almost never take my bags off. I HAVE to have my tools and Slime kit/compressor with me at all times. One never knows when one will pick up a wood screw in the rear tire.    :o
too easy

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:45 AM »
too easy

I see where your mind is now Gary.    :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Shoe

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »
I use my bags and trunk all the time. I carry everything all the time. The only time I remove them is to clean the bike. If I don't clean the bike I don't remove the bags.

I carry my stuff in Cee Bailey bag liners that also fit nicely in my Goldwing.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:36 AM »

I carry my stuff in Cee Bailey bag liners that also fit nicely in my Goldwing.
My Gold Wing bags were way to big for the concours, lost 1/2 the storage space stuffing the bags in.
I ride with the bags on all the time now. When I first got the bike I did take them off on a few rides but the bike is BUTT UGLY with them off, especially with the stock can

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
I agree. I think the bike looks better with bags on vs bags off. But i bought it has the ability to have stuff on me all the time. Living in florida u want rain gear all the time!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
If you think that the bike looks bad with the bags off now, you should see it with the bags off and the rear MCE bars installed.    :o

Offline Kurt

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »
i know its a touring bike but does anyone ever ride with there bags off? how hard are they to take on and off? can some one post pics of there connie with the bags off thanks

No problem to remove the bags --- just go over a bump at speed. :) If you don't know what I'm talking about, look on here for the flying bag threads.

In all fairness, my bags have stayed secure while riding the C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
I really see no advantage to riding with no bags.  I doubt there is increased fuel economy (someone that has noticed a difference chime in) and the bags are not the widest part of the bike - the mirrors are, even when they are folded in.  I also use my bags almost every ride.

After two parking lot drops, one with GSG sliders and one without, I can tell you that without the bags on, I suspect the rest of my bike would have been much more heavily damaged that it was.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
When I first got the bike I did take them off on a few rides but the bike is BUTT UGLY with them off, especially with the stock can

You sure it's not just that massive potato launcher that is making it look butt ugly Joe with bags on and off??  :-\

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
I seldom use my bags.  I only use them when traveling and have to carry more stuff than a small gym bag or a tank bag will hold.  At one time there was a lot of talk about the bags falling off the bike so I decided that it was less worrysome to go without until needed, than I bought some clips to help secure the bags.  The other thing is without the bags on the bike is a little easier for us shorter inseamed guys to get on and off and the bags are not getting all scuffed up.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
Quite true.  In fact, they will take themselves off at times....

:yikes:    :stirpot: