Author Topic: break in period  (Read 15755 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: break in period
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
When I bought my C14, I did the first oil(s) change at 200 miles.  I then went on an 1800 mile trip.  Changed it again at 2000 (dealer did this).  He didn't voice any concerns over the mileage.  I will say what they did was highly overpriced.  Unless you have a very good dealer, I'd do it myself and just document it.  By the way, the plugs don't need changing at 7.5k miles.  I still have mine in at 47k.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
Ride like a bloody "Mad Man" When you finally get sane after a tank or two of petrol.
It should be fairly well broken in. IMHO!
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
When I bought my C14, I did the first oil(s) change at 200 miles.  I then went on an 1800 mile trip.  Changed it again at 2000 (dealer did this).  He didn't voice any concerns over the mileage.  I will say what they did was highly overpriced.  Unless you have a very good dealer, I'd do it myself and just document it.  By the way, the plugs don't need changing at 7.5k miles.  I still have mine in at 47k.
So, what oil did you use at 200?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »

Uh oh, here we go!  :popcorn:

I generally followed the manual's guidelines, but didn't change my oil the first time until about 875 miles when I got back from a weekend trip.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Don't forget that oil change at 500 miles. I traveled out to get my bike and drove it home 1200 miles. Dealer told me to make sure to change it on the road at 500, said they have seen all kinds of break in crap in the first oil change. I used Rotella 5-40 at 500 miles because it is not a synthetic oil, then swapped in in Maxima Ultra at 2200 miles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »

Valvoline MC oil 10w40, I think.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »
... or not.  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
Don't forget that oil change at 500 miles. I traveled out to get my bike and drove it home 1200 miles. Dealer told me to make sure to change it on the road at 500, said they have seen all kinds of break in crap in the first oil change. I used Rotella 5-40 at 500 miles because it is not a synthetic oil, then swapped in in Maxima Ultra at 2200 miles.
FWIW, Rotella T is both 15W-40 and non-synthetic.  Rotella T6 is 5W-40 and is synthetic.

As to the break-in, feel free to break it in however you want if you are willing to live with the consequences and give full disclosure to the new owner when you sell the bike. :)  EDIT > and tell the warranty department if you have a claim.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
FWIW, Rotella T is both 15W-40 and non-synthetic.  Rotella T6 is 5W-40 and is synthetic.

As to the break-in, feel free to break it in however you want if you are willing to live with the consequences and give full disclosure to the new owner when you sell the bike. :)  EDIT > and tell the warranty department if you have a claim.

Apparently T6 and many other "so called" synthetics are not true synthetics. And show me a warranty claim that was due to how a bike was broken in, cause I wanna see it. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »

Apparently T6 and many other "so called" synthetics are not true synthetics. And show me a warranty claim that was due to how a bike was broken in, cause I wanna see it. ;)

Oh T6 is truly synthetic.  Its a "blend" and I just participated in an oil thread

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:47 AM »
I did something truly amazing the day before yesterday.....I went to a dealer and bought Kwak dino 10w40 oil.  Put it in yesterday.  I did use a K&N filter (courtesy Murph).  Now I have been using Mobil1 MC 10w40.  I really don't know why I did this.  Just felt the urge to do something completely different.  Maybe I'm  :loco: :nuts:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 04:54:53 AM »
I did something truly amazing the day before yesterday.....I went to a dealer and bought Kwak dino 10w40 oil.  Put it in yesterday.  I did use a K&N filter (courtesy Murph).  Now I have been using Mobil1 MC 10w40.  I really don't know why I did this.  Just felt the urge to do something completely different.  Maybe I'm  :loco: :nuts:

Did you notice any difference?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
Did you notice any difference?

Won't know until tomorrow.  Not riding today.  I'm letting the oil mellow and become one with the bike.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 05:06:53 AM »
That's a good idea, let it marinate a bit.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline katata1100

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 08:21:47 AM »

Rotella 5-40 is not synthetic, it is hydrocracked dino oil, also known as a group III. Group III oils don't have the same lubrication properties as real synthetic oils (esters and pao) but only in the U.S. they can be pawned off as "synthetic". I don't like the idea of running synthetic (again, an oil that is ester/pao) and some synthetic oil companies (like Redline) even tell you on the bottle not to use their product for the first 3000 miles of your car/bikes life.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Is there any noticeable difference in motor oils Chet? Does that mean that one (or some) is better than others? Which one would you say was best to use in a C-14?

<duckin', runnin' and grinnin'>

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Mobil 4T motorcycle oil comes in a silver bottle, nuff said.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
Mobil 4T motorcycle oil comes in a silver bottle, nuff said.

And it has a black bike as an example, hence it is for slow bikes!!  I prefer Lucas full syn, a guy I met on the net said it was good for 10 hp, lasts for 25000 miles, never leaks, and increases fuel economy by %25.  He also said black bikes don't need no stinking oil, the owners spend too much time keeping them clean, he recommended adding car wash soap to the crank so they have a never ending source of clean smoke when they ride em back into the garage after wsahing them ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
You shouldnt say stuff like that, somebody is always stupid enough to believe it. :loco:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
You shouldnt say stuff like that, somebody is always stupid enough to believe it. :loco:
Doing my part to drain the gene pool one post at a time ;D