Poll

Purchase a Bag Liner for E55 Givi

Interested
15 (71.4%)
No
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 24, 2012, 02:10:09 PM

Author Topic: Givi E55 bag liner from Big Bike Outfitters  (Read 9160 times)

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
Givi E55 bag liner from Big Bike Outfitters
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
Gauging who might be interested in one?
Jeff

Offline jqram35

Re: Givi E55 bag liner from Big Bike Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Givi makes one but in the videos I have seen they look pretty flimsy. Anyone actually have one?
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
Possible depending on cost. 

Offline xsv

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:36 PM »
Givi makes one but in the videos I have seen they look pretty flimsy. Anyone actually have one?

I got one.  Not very impressive. Sort of like a light nylon.  Really flimsy compared to my RKA side bag liners.

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
I'd be interested depending on cost. Be nice to have a top case bag to match the saddle bags from the group buy.

Offline stewart

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Cost would be a factor, just put my hand up for the other liners.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Big Bike Outfitters

• Made in America by a Veteran Owned Company
    • Big Bike Outfitters Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
Possible depending on cost. 

Cost would be a factor, just put my hand up for the other liners.

Thanks jqram35 for starting a new thread.

I would like to target the cost anywhere from $45 to $65 (delivered) depending on features owners would be looking for in this bag. Optional packing cubes would also be made available and would in my opinion be a must due to this size bag would have difficulty retaining the shape when empty without them.

Patrick

Big Bike Outfitters Inc.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
I agree the trunk would be a prime spot for the cubes.
Jeff

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
Maybe with the group buy starting tomorrow this might get a little more interest.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
Dont know if that is enough interest or not for a new product. Guessing Not.
Jeff

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Maybe not but the C14 isn't the only bike you can put a Givi55 top case on. Maybe there would be interest on other cites.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
I am interested in making this product.

Next I would like some collective input as to what features this bag should have.

Jeff mentioned he would like it to have a perimeter zipper.

How many pockets and where should these be located?

Handle, shoulder strap or both?

There is a fine balance between making the coolest bag ever and what price someone is willing to pay for it.

I would like to know your thoughts on the subject.

Patrick

Big Bike Outfitters Inc.

www.bigbikeoutfitters.com

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »
I like the idea of the perimeter zipper and being that my hands are full with saddle bag liners a shoulder strap would be nice.  ;D

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »
I like the idea of the perimeter zipper and being that my hands are full with saddle bag liners a shoulder strap would be nice.  ;D

Ya, the Manbag strap would work in this situation.

I think a zipper around the top would be nice so I could access it without taking the bag out.

I am not really hip on the compartments as that just increases the cost.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:10 AM »
Yeah the shoulder strap makes the most sense.  Handles tend to be bulky fixed heavy duty fabric which takes up much needed space.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
So to recap thus far, you guys would like the following features in this bag:

- Everyone wants a shoulder strap. How important is a shoulder pad, the kind that is slotted and feeds over the strap and helps prevent the strap from slipping off your shoulder? Also I do think you would need a handle facing out just above the lip of the top case to retrieve the bag – even if it were a small loop. That way when you load the bag using the loop handle the shoulder strap would naturally hang below the bag, positioning the bag over the shoulder strap when loaded in the top case, possibly eliminating having to tuck the shoulder strap in to close the top case. Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

- I think we all agree a perimeter zipper is the logical choice for this bag.

- It was mentioned no pockets to keep cost down and while this is true my thoughts are it would be a lame bag without at least 1 pocket. Am I off track, is a pocket really unnecessary?

- I know Jeff stated Packing Cubes would be prime for this bag and I agree. How many of you would use this bag with the Packing Cubes? Should they come together with the bag as a set? Bare in mind the Packing Cubes are time consuming to manufacture, the bag itself can be produced in less time than the three smaller bags used to divide the space. However with that said these achieve the maximum utility in gear storage and organization. It is one feature that is unavailable elsewhere with competitive products.

I am really enjoying this design process with you guys, as it gives me real world insight I might otherwise miss. I too am an avid motorcycle enthusiast, and I ride almost daily (even in the Chicago winters provided the streets are clear) however I recognize my personal preferences are not always the norm. I believe we can collectively design a great product here…keep the comments coming!

Patrick

Big Bike Outfitters Inc.

www.BigBikeOutfitters.com

Offline jqram35

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
Packing cubes not a deal breaker for me. Low cost would be good. Don't care about pockets or the strap. Some rings to attach a strap is all I would need.  ;)
I can find my own internal bags...
Jeff

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
I'm most likely not with the majority here (story of my life  ::)), but I think that two bags (upper and lower) that zip together at the perimeter would be perfect. In fact they might be identical ( $ savings here and mfg. simplicity) since with one flipped over the zipper hardware would be reversed and compatible right? I understand that the upper GIVI E55 case is smaller than the bottom but is it that different for soft luggage? I sort of pack my Givi that way now because I use the elastic strap inside as a divider, so having a bag above and below would fit right in with my current packing style. I guess a shoulder strap would be nice, but now I carry the whole case in with just a handle. I'm thinking the load in a bag (or bags) would be much lighter so I could live with just a handle. If they are identical then there would be two handles of course but there could be one of those Velcro wraps used as a unifier. Again if identical only one loop (for a shoulder strap) for each would be needed since they would end up on opposite ends. I'm not sure I've described this well, but it would be two identical bags, each having one flat side and one curved side. Each with a HD perimeter zipper to attach the flat sides to each other. Each bag would have a wide U shaped zipper on the flat side for inside access. The HD perimeter zipper would only need to be on three sides and a couple of snaps and straps could be on the bottom as hinges, again identical (one strap each) as the bags would be opposite each other. This is ridiculous, I need to be able to draw, as it looks so much better in my head than it does here in type.  :-[

Offline stewart

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
I can imagine what Marty is suggesting with the two bags concept. I'd prefer a strap+handle, as I can see walking into a hotel with side bags in each hand, plus givi over shoulder.

For this bag it would be nice to have some soft pockets on the top either outside or zippers to access a small pocket on the inside. So when you open the top case there are some versatile pockets that can be accessed without having to open the whole bag. If that adds significant cost, then I could live with out.

Lastly, would be nice if the bag has a waterproof/durable base, so you place it on the ground while you load/unload.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Sholder strap:  Agree, I'll have hands full with side bags or my helmet.
Cubes: I'm sure they would get dusty sitting on top of my toolbox while I'm riding... maybe an optional upgrade?
Pockets: Ok, on top when you open the case, could work for a passport, maybe padded for a small camera?
Zipper: Perimeter, offset toward the top so I can easily access the inside without removing the bag if I want to.

I also agree having a way to keep it off the ground is nice, but won't make me buy/not buy.
I would not be interested in a 2 piece bag, personal pref.

If you really wanted to get fancy a waterproof bag would be slick, the new nylon dry zippers are amazing but this would certainly get pricey!!
Thanks!