Author Topic: two farkle choices, fender extender and helmet lock.  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Elfmaze

two farkle choices, fender extender and helmet lock.
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
I need to get two Farkles right off the bat..  Well three including the crash bars,  oh and i need a GPS holder....Oh and a rack with top case,  oh and LED driving lights........

BUT,  Back on topic.   I need to get a fender extender and helmet lock.  There are two good ones i've found one from a member here and the Project D extender.  Anyone have experience or prefference to either or? 

The helmet lock From project D apparently bolts into the luggage rack.   I have seen others that use the license plate mount.  About the same price.  Is the luggage rack on better vs the "universalness" of the license plate version?

Setting this bike up is going to be bad for my wallet  :-\

Offline kawacop1642

Re: two farkle choices, fender extender and helmet lock.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »
I got the dual helmet lock setup from ProjecktD. Fits nicely under the rack and looks like part of the bike. It's very sturdy as well. Would be harder to remove (steal) then the license plate lock.
I ordered the front and rear fender extenders from a member here, (Larry). His front extender is a bit longer than others for more coverage. When I receive it i'll give you an update, but it appears to be a quality piece.

Mark..... 8)

Offline Axxman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
I just installed Larry's front extender a short time ago. It is a great product! Quite a bit longer than others and offers better protection of your header and radiator.

Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline xsv

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
I installed Larry's extender about 2 years ago.  No problems at all with it. 

When you decide on a top case you might want to consider a light kit to go with it.  With my 52l Givi my stock brake light is in there and a little difficult to see.  The admore light kit while expensive, enhances rear visibility by 10x. :)
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
I have the ProjektD dual helmet lock, nice product and looks very clean on the Connie.  :thumbs:

Offline Marco1018

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »
Website for Larry's fenders?
Is the rear one like the hugger?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »
Website for Larry's fenders?
Is the rear one like the hugger?

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59&zenid=0s5352k8iomcavkdlnc4rr1rc1

Just ordered today along with the Tailbrights. Be careful there are two different front extenders on Larry's site. Yep, the one you want costs more. $40.95 plus shipping.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
I have the ProjektD dual helmet lock, nice product and looks very clean on the Connie.  :thumbs:

+2 on this. Well made and it looks stock.

Elfmaze

You mentioned a rear hugger, I have one.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »
Or, you can order the long fender extender direct from the source. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0 Cheaper with shipping included. First thing I installed when I bought the bike, and the front end still looks new at 8K miles.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
Or, you can order the long fender extender direct from the source. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0 Cheaper with shipping included. First thing I installed when I bought the bike, and the front end still looks new at 8K miles.

Thanks for the post.  I was unable to find that one on here for some reason but i did find him thru COG forums.  I like that his goes lower than the others.   He didn't mention two versions but i did mention the length as a selling point so hopefully i got the right one.  I paid 45 shipped. 

I took a rock to the fins on the way home from the dealership so i'm afraid to even ride my bike without this thing on there now. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I was unable to find that one on here for some reason but i did find him thru COG forums.  I like that his goes lower than the others.   He didn't mention two versions but i did mention the length as a selling point so hopefully i got the right one.  I paid 45 shipped. 

I took a rock to the fins on the way home from the dealership so i'm afraid to even ride my bike without this thing on there now.
Radiator guard is cheap insurance too.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
The helmet lock From project D apparently bolts into the luggage rack.   I have seen others that use the license plate mount.  About the same price.  Is the luggage rack on better vs the "universalness" of the license plate version?

Read this:
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=293.0

(Projecktd is da bomb.  Almost a year later- still perfect condition and operation.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
I got both the helmet locks and guard extension from Projekt D.  Have not fitted the guard extension yet but here are some pics of the locks fitted to my bike which already has "Phil's rack".  Loving the rack and the locks seem to be pretty good too.

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.