Author Topic: my 1400GTR is staying around for another while  (Read 1757 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
my 1400GTR is staying around for another while
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
Today it was Drachenfest , or the Dragon party, at my dealer here in the lovely warm Germany, so I've got to try 3 bikes that I've been lurking for:
- Ninja 1000 (the SX version, with bags)
- Versys 1000
- the new 1400 ZZR (ZX14R)

Last year I was thinking of getting the Ninja to replace my C14 since it is lighter and the power to weight ratio is the same once loaded. It is clearly a lighter bike and that appeals me. However, as exciting as it turned up to be, one balance shaft is just not enough for an in-line 4. Loved the bike, the engine, the lightness; but I tour, and I couldn't live with those vibes and no creature comforts. Pity, really.
The Versys is something else. I really liked it, but it's almost the same as the V-Strom 1000 and I like the Suzi better, plus it is way cheaper. Unfortunately it is not officially imported in Germany but one can find it second hand with little mileage for half the price of a new one.
Finally, the Beast. I left the ZZR for last for testing in order to kind of "warm up" to raw power with the Z1000, which in reality turned up to be like preparing yourself to fight with Godzilla by having tea and biscuits with a smurf. That thing is just idiotically powerful. The engine is very refined, less vibes than our "old" 1400. But the performance is just insane and even in the German Autobahn it was too much. I saw in indicated 280 km/h (about 175 mph) in no time and I cannot see why or what for. On top of the power, the gearing is shorter (70 mph instead of 80 mph at 4000 rpm, like in the C14) and the screen protects less so both the acceleration and the feeling of speed are huge. I recon the C14 needs to shift down 2 gears to kind of do the same than the ZZR and it would run out of puff at 160 anyway.
In order to make a good (albeit short) comparison, as soon as I returned the ZZR to the dealer I jumped on my C14 and drove the 40 miles home. Yes, I need to get those flies off, and I wish it weighed 100 pounds less, but I just love the thing. She is a keeper.

EDIT
One thing I'd like Kawasaki (or any manufacturer, for that matter) to spend their money on, instead of power, is refinement. Better fit and finish, no rattling, no vibrations, more windscreen adjustment range, CC. We are supposed to be driving the flagship of Kawasaki, not a rickshaw...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:38:28 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jamiemac

Re: my 1400GTR is staying around for another while
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
I tell Ya Brother, I would like to have one of the new ZX14Rs, but I just don't need more power than My C14 already has. I can't get to second gear at full throttle on mine without hitting the rev limiter, so I still haven't learned to use the power I have now. Still...That ZX is nice!

I'm with You Man. I'm keeping mine.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: my 1400GTR is staying around for another while
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the write up. Makes me want to go test ride the ZX14R. But I agree, for the long haul rides I do, the C14 is a much better choice and I think I would get into trouble on the ZX14R.