Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293538 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »
That's the way to keep it alive....just hold that grudge near to your heart until your heart is cold and black...  LOL

It's been cross posted.

I'm not holding any grudges but I'm not going to go out of my way to do any more favors either...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:03:30 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
That's the way to keep it alive....just hold that grudge near to your heart until your heart is cold and black...  LOL

Conrad's heart was in the right place.  He tried.  It didn't go anywhere.

I don't have a heart, so no cold and black for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
LOL  Don't make any difference to me.  I just think it's more about the people than the places.  Sure, some of the people are...challenging.  :)  IIWII.  Me, I'm just hoping this exercise is a great experience for the manufacturer and that it really encourages people to buy the product since they've had input.  I know I'm waiting patiently.  Been riding nervous for 2 years.  LOL
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Zulu

« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
Well I am gald I don't have to pick her up.  At least I got to see her on her side.  I was curious to how see looked. Kissing the floor. 

Offline Cuda

« Reply #464 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
"ALL know, the 08/09 bikes spend WAY less time going slow. "
Your right , because the heat coming off the motor will KILL you :'(
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline 10ecjazzman

« Reply #465 on: April 14, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
Will the bars have a rotisserie option for the 08-09 bikes so you can cook your dinner while you ride?   ;D
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because  they have to say something - Plato

Offline Cuda

« Reply #466 on: April 14, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »
OUCH, OUCH, OUCH.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #467 on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
Will the bars have a rotisserie option for the 08-09 bikes so you can cook your dinner while you ride?   ;D

Yup, and we'll have dinner ready when you catch up with us.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
Feh....I sent my ECU to Guhl and mine now goes to 11.....
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
I am kinda glad I asked for drop photos.  This showed a slight design flaw that can be fixed prior to customer purchase.  I dont claim sole responsibility for finding the contact point issue, just saying it helps to see a picture. And can I purchase the sadle bag crash bars now and do I need the short or the police version?  I figure get some protection on there stat. ;D Thanks again for the pictures. I am super stoked to get these on my Connie. I am just going to throw this out ther but have you thought of a quick disconnect for the sadle bag bars?  This way if you decide to ride with out bags you can just pop them off and ride with just the Canyon Cage. And can we see pics of just the Canyon Cage drop test? I hope I am not asking to many questions.

Naw, you're not asking too many questions! You could purchase a set of rear guards now if you want to. If I were you though, I'd probably wait until we do the Canyon Cage Group Buy and purchase it then so you can take advantage of the discount. I'll start a new thread for the Group Buy and begin taking orders in a week or so. I'd probably just go with the small rear version, though. The large rear version was designed specifically for law enforcement and offers more room to mount lights, antennae, etc. without offering much extra protection. The small rear guards are already so easy to install that a quick release is a bit unnecessary. It'd be nice to be able to pull the guards off within seconds but cotter pin style designs tend to end up looking chinsy and also weaken the bar. The rear guards only take a few moments to put on and take off as it is anyhow. 

It seems like I'm getting a few requests to show photos of the Canyon Cage tip over without the rear bags or guards so come Monday I'll be sure to get some photos of this for you guys.

I think these tipover bars (front and back) would be more visually appealing if they were painted to match the fairing and saddlebags. I recall that Ryan mentioned in an earlier post that it is not feasible for MC to paint-to-match due to the many color options, but that the bars would be available to buy as bare metal. With this in mind, one option would be to order bare bars and apply Colorite base, primer, paint and clearcoat (e.g., 2010 Neptune blue, http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=1453285&CFTOKEN=14812620).  Are there any special considerations when it comes to painting bare metal? Or is this just a bad idea because powder coating / chrome are better than paint for this application?

Ryan - do you anticipate that the price will be lower for bare-metal bars (no powder coating or chrome)?

Y'know that's a good question. I don't believe painting these bars is a bad idea, by any means. You may just want to make sure you have a decent base layer so the paint holds well. I think we use the black powdercoat and chrome merely because that's just what we've always done. I do know that powdercoating is a tough finish and holds up well to weather and such so that's probably part of the reason we chose it initially. If you want to buy a raw set and have it painted to match I don't think there should be any issue with that though. As far as pricing goes, we generally just charge the same amount for raw, chromed, or powdercoated.

Me, I'm just hoping this exercise is a great experience for the manufacturer and that it really encourages people to buy the product since they've had input.  I know I'm waiting patiently.  Been riding nervous for 2 years.  LOL

It has been a great experience for all of us over here! All of us in the office are really enjoying the collaboration and I think it's going to help us design and manufacture a truly awesome product that I hope you guys truly enjoy!

LOL!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »
Back on the grind today! We're working on getting the final touches finished up on these bars and then hopefully we'll do a few more tip overs to test where the bars hit again. When we do this, I'll be sure to get photos of both sides so you guys can see that the shifter is indeed safe when tipping over to the left side. Anything else you guys wanted me to take a closer look at for you while the bike is on its side? Aside from a straight drop test, that is. I know you guys are still waiting for that but we need the bars to be finalized before we do the drop testing!

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously but we found a 2009 to fit up once this bike is done! So, those of you with the earlier generation need not worry! You may have to wait a bit while we get the 2010-2012 finished up but we'll be starting on the 2008-2009 model as soon as we finish this bar. That way, people with either generation can get a properly fitting, aesthetically pleasing Canyon Cage and nobody will feel left out!

Now, I'm just trying to figure out how and when to do the Group Buy. I'm not sure I want to wait until the 2008-2009 bars are totally done before starting the Group Buy as that's going to be at least 6-8 weeks from now. I may just begin the Group Buy when we finish the 2010-2012 model because the bars for the 2008-2009 will be very similar, just altered slightly to allow for mounting on the earlier generation. Then, we can ship the 2010-2012s when they're done coming through production and the 2008-2009s when they're done coming through production 3-4 weeks after that.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
how about video of you all setting it on it's side.  I know the drop video will come later, but the video lets us see how things hit as its going down slowly.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #473 on: April 16, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
'08/09   :thumbs: :chugbeer: :hail:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #474 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »
how about video of you all setting it on it's side.  I know the drop video will come later, but the video lets us see how things hit as its going down slowly.

I may be able to arrange that for you guys! At least it'll be something to keep you guys busy until we're ready for true drop testing!

'08/09   :thumbs: :chugbeer: :hail:

YESSS! I'm happy we finally found a local 2009 to use as I know there are a bunch of you out there with the earlier generation that want this type of protection for your bike!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #475 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #476 on: April 16, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »
With only the Canyon Cage and bags off does it still protect everything?

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #477 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »
Back on the grind today! We're working on getting the final touches finished up on these bars and then hopefully we'll do a few more tip overs to test where the bars hit again. When we do this, I'll be sure to get photos of both sides so you guys can see that the shifter is indeed safe when tipping over to the left side. Anything else you guys wanted me to take a closer look at for you while the bike is on its side? Aside from a straight drop test, that is. I know you guys are still waiting for that but we need the bars to be finalized before we do the drop testing!

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously but we found a 2009 to fit up once this bike is done! So, those of you with the earlier generation need not worry! You may have to wait a bit while we get the 2010-2012 finished up but we'll be starting on the 2008-2009 model as soon as we finish this bar. That way, people with either generation can get a properly fitting, aesthetically pleasing Canyon Cage and nobody will feel left out!

Now, I'm just trying to figure out how and when to do the Group Buy. I'm not sure I want to wait until the 2008-2009 bars are totally done before starting the Group Buy as that's going to be at least 6-8 weeks from now. I may just begin the Group Buy when we finish the 2010-2012 model because the bars for the 2008-2009 will be very similar, just altered slightly to allow for mounting on the earlier generation. Then, we can ship the 2010-2012s when they're done coming through production and the 2008-2009s when they're done coming through production 3-4 weeks after that.

I'm ready for some right now...:)
Jeff

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
With only the Canyon Cage and bags off does it still protect everything?

That's a good question. I want to say it would but we've never done that type of testing. I know that with the saddle bags on and no rear guards the saddle bags will take a hit. However, if you remove them, I'm nearly sure that the Canyon Cage would hold the bike up far enough as to keep the rear end from hitting but we just don't know for sure. When we get the bike ready to tip over today, we'll remove the rear bags and see! I'll be sure to snap some photos of this for you guys.

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
Wow you guys are awesome its a quick turn around time to answer questions. Thanks abunch.