Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293887 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
If you guys will recall my MCE rears and GSG slider thread with the plywood, this is the same thing that was going on when the ply wouldn't touch the GSG while the ply was touching the MCE rear and both tires.

Yep, I remembered it immediately.  The difference is that this design will be corrected, where the GSG is stuck at what it is...

We definitely don't want the bike to slam onto the folded up peg, like it would do with no protection (or improper protection).  I do find it fascinating that the bike can lay over and just sit on the rear bar and the peg, as illustrated by Ryan's photos, with nothing else touching :)  Without that rear bar, it would certainly crunch much more stuff.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
If you guys will recall my MCE rears and GSG slider thread with the plywood, this is the same thing that was going on when the ply wouldn't touch the GSG while the ply was touching the MCE rear and both tires.

I definitely recall that thread, Conrad. The one bad thing about this is the fact that the rear bars will take a harder hit than they really should when the bike goes over due to the GSGs not sharing the initial thud. I'm hoping with the changes we're making to the Canyon Cage that, in a tip-over, both the front and rear guards will hit simultaneously as to reduce the force each piece has to withstand as much as possible.

That's really the only issue these Canyon Cages have as of right now. I really like the way they hold up when the bike rocks over though; It essentially supports the entire weight of the bike along with the small rear guards while keeping the fairings off the ground. It'll be interesting to see how they do during an actual drop test. I'm sorry we couldn't get the drop testing done today, though. I know you guys are really eager to see that! It's always better to take these things slow and make sure everything is done properly before rushing into drop testing, though. Especially when you're working on a loaned bike!

We definitely don't want the bike to slam onto the folded up peg, like it would do with no protection (or improper protection).  I do find it fascinating that the bike can lay over and just sit on the rear bar and the peg, as illustrated by Ryan's photos, with nothing else touching :)  Without that rear bar, it would certainly crunch stuff.

Yea, we don't want the bike to slam onto the folded up peg but we do want the peg to be the first thing to touch the ground. The peg basically acts as an alarm system to tell you you're getting too far over. In a perfect world, when the bike goes over (well, I suppose the bike wouldn't be going over in a perfect world but back to the point), the peg hits and begins folding up and before it reaches the fold limit the bars hit the ground and save the bike! Another good reason for the pegs touching first is the fact that you know you're safe on tight turns. If your pegs aren't touching yet, you know you're nowhere close to having the bar touch.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
It's always better to take these things slow and make sure everything is done properly before rushing into drop testing, though. Especially when you're working on a loaned bike!

+1!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

MGvalerio

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

Surely if with such guards when the motorcycle is lying on the LEFT side of the shift pedal is broken.

MC show what you say.

MGvalerio. 8)

Sicuramente se con dette guardie se la moto viene adagiata sul lato SINISTRO il pedale del cambio si rompe.
MC puoi mostrare ciò che affermo.

MGvalerio. 8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
Surely if with such guards, when the motorcycle is lying tilted on the LEFT side of the shift pedal is broken will break

You are probably right, but adjustments are needed in the design, which they promise.  Stay tuned for more updates!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:17:06 PM by maxtog »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
Well, my drop happened on the left side and I didn't care, I was in the arms of a grieving mother.  Everytime I see those scratches I think of SGT Anthoney Fine, RIP.
Anyway, the shifter did hit and bent a tad, nothing serious, but I did pull it off a few thousand miles later and straighten it out.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
Surely if with such guards when the motorcycle is lying on the LEFT side of the shift pedal is broken.

MC show what you say.

This is incorrect. At least as far as I can currently tell. The shifter is in approximately the same position as the brake pedal on the right side and that wasn't close to touching when the bike was tipped over because the Canyon Cages hold the bike up juuust far enough. However, the next time we tip the bike over I'll have them do it to the left and I'll be sure to get some photos of the spatial relationship between the shifter and the ground so you can see what I mean.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
This is incorrect. At least as far as I can currently tell. The shifter is in approximately the same position as the brake pedal on the right side and that wasn't close to touching when the bike was tipped over because the Canyon Cages hold the bike up juuust far enough. However, the next time we tip the bike over I'll have them do it to the left and I'll be sure to get some photos of the spatial relationship between the shifter and the ground so you can see what I mean.

I think he was meaning "tilted over", not rolled over flat on the side (translation issues).  In your tip-over postings, you said it was resting on the rear bar and the folded up peg.  If that were the case on the left side, I do believe it would at least bend, if not break the shifter.  Of course, this is all moot because the design needs tweaking anyway.... and of course you will test both sides.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
I think he was meaning "tilted over", not rolled over flat on the side (translation issues).  In your tip-over postings, you said it was resting on the rear bar and the folded up peg.  If that were the case on the left side, I do believe it would at least bend, if not break the shifter.  Of course, this is all moot because the design needs tweaking anyway.... and of course you will test both sides.

Ahhhh, okay, I get what he was saying now. That's interesting though because on the right side the brake pedal is pretty much in the same position as the shifter on the other side but the brake wasn't touching the ground. But, yea, this doesn't really matter as the design is being tweaked anyhow. Either way, I'll be sure to have them tilt the bike over to the opposite side so I can get some photos of the spatial relationship between the shifter and the ground for you guys who are worried about bending the shifter. Also, we will definitely be testing both sides!

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »
I am kinda glad I asked for drop photos.  This showed a slight design flaw that can be fixed prior to customer purchase.  I dont claim sole responsibility for finding the contact point issue, just saying it helps to see a picture. And can I purchase the sadle bag crash bars now and do I need the short or the police version?  I figure get some protection on there stat. ;D Thanks again for the pictures. I am super stoked to get these on my Connie. I am just going to throw this out ther but have you thought of a quick disconnect for the sadle bag bars?  This way if you decide to ride with out bags you can just pop them off and ride with just the Canyon Cage. And can we see pics of just the Canyon Cage drop test? I hope I am not asking to many questions.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2012, 04:15:30 AM »
I think these tipover bars (front and back) would be more visually appealing if they were painted to match the fairing and saddlebags. I recall that Ryan mentioned in an earlier post that it is not feasible for MC to paint-to-match due to the many color options, but that the bars would be available to buy as bare metal. With this in mind, one option would be to order bare bars and apply Colorite base, primer, paint and clearcoat (e.g., 2010 Neptune blue, http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=1453285&CFTOKEN=14812620).  Are there any special considerations when it comes to painting bare metal? Or is this just a bad idea because powder coating / chrome are better than paint for this application?

Ryan - do you anticipate that the price will be lower for bare-metal bars (no powder coating or chrome)?
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2012, 04:57:32 AM »
I definitely recall that thread, Conrad. The one bad thing about this is the fact that the rear bars will take a harder hit than they really should when the bike goes over due to the GSGs not sharing the initial thud. I'm hoping with the changes we're making to the Canyon Cage that, in a tip-over, both the front and rear guards will hit simultaneously as to reduce the force each piece has to withstand as much as possible.

I wasn't saying that the GSG was going to help save the bike as well as your new bars. I didn't lay my bike down so I couldn't tell exacty how well, or not, the GSG and the MCE rears would work together. But now I have a better idea. I'll be buying a set of your new bars once they get sorted out for a 08/09.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2012, 05:00:46 AM »
Is it time to set up a poll to see how many want first gen or second gen bars?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #454 on: April 13, 2012, 05:06:10 AM »
Is it time to set up a poll to see how many want first gen or second gen bars?

I think that it is.

The problem is that the new gen bikes might be more prone to low speed drops cuz as we ALL know, the 08/09 bikes spend WAY less time going slow.  8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2012, 05:09:41 AM »
C, are you go to venture over to the dark side again to see if there's any interest? ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #456 on: April 13, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
C, are you go to venture over to the dark side again to see if there's any interest? ;)

Not a chance. I can get the cold shoulder elsewhere thank you.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
 ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »
That's the way to keep it alive....just hold that grudge near to your heart until your heart is cold and black...  LOL

It's been cross posted.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
Thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.