Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293591 times)

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
Ok #9 Still my favorite, also would like to know about installation instructions.  I know that it looks pretty simple, but I am have to have instructions but won't read them kinda guy. ;D I would like to know if a powder coat is more durable than paint so if it does tip over its not scratching the paint off the bars. And what is the tube diameter of the bars so I know if I can buy highway pegs. 

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, no offense taken at all.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some attitude with 50 or so people critiquing your work in progress.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline GordonM

« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
Oh,  I like that so much better!  Make the changes to the upper bar you were talking about and it will be great!!  It has such a nice flow now with the bends as it comes out from the top mount, down and around and back.  Are you still going to have a lower front mount?  Go Armando, go.

I would order one!

Gordon

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
Excellent! I'm sitting with credit card in hand.........................

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
Can you quikly spray paint one of these last concepts black so that we can see what is may look like painted?
And remove the green tape too?(just for the photo)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Ok #9 Still my favorite, also would like to know about installation instructions.  I know that it looks pretty simple, but I am have to have instructions but won't read them kinda guy. ;D I would like to know if a powder coat is more durable than paint so if it does tip over its not scratching the paint off the bars. And what is the tube diameter of the bars so I know if I can buy highway pegs.

Installation instructions will definitely be included with the purchase of the bar along with all the necessary hardware! Powder coat is definitely more resilient than paint but whether or not it gets scratched depends on how you fall, where you fall, and at what speed you fall so that's a difficult question to answer. If it's a no-to-low speed basic tip over then it probably won't be scratched at all but if you low-side a 40mph sweeping left turn then you can expect it'll be fairly scuffed up. Currently we're working with 1" diameter tubing (a very generic size; should have no problem finding a peg/clamp combo to work with these) to match the small rear guards for the 2010-2012 Connies.

Thanks for the quick reply, no offense taken at all.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some attitude with 50 or so people critiquing your work in progress.

Hahahahahah I've had to bite my tongue a few times.  :-X

Oh,  I like that so much better!  Make the changes to the upper bar you were talking about and it will be great!!  It has such a nice flow now with the bends as it comes out from the top mount, down and around and back.  Are you still going to have a lower front mount?  Go Armando, go.

I would order one!

Gordon

Yea, we'll make the change to the top bar then I'll snap a few more pictures for you guys. Yea, the lower front is still there it's just hidden for now. We have an interesting idea on how to go about that mount, though. It's a bit hard to explain but basically we're going to drill a hole through the bar where the mount needs to be an incorporate it with a bucket type joint. Like I said, it's a bit hard to explain but you'll know precisely what I mean if we decide to go with this design and finalize it. Stay tuned!

Can you quikly spray paint one of these last concepts black so that we can see what is may look like painted?
And remove the green tape too?(just for the photo)

Unfortunately, if we did that, we'd have to pay to have the paint stripped when we send the bar down to get powder coated if it's the design we end up settling on. :( So, I'd rather not risk it right now because we're not sure which bar we're going to go with yet. Once we decide on a final design, I could probably do this with one of the runner-ups though just to give you guys an idea of how much the bars disappear into the fairings once they're painted. Would that work for you?
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline daringdave

« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
It sounds like #8 and #10 are getting a lot of attention, and I like them both enough to buy either of them, but I would like to see a pic taken of both of those choices taken a few feet back so we can see how the front and rear (small) bars look together as a package. The rear bars are horizontally oriented and I just want to see how  the fronts look with both orientations, horizontal and upswept.

Hang in there, Ryan...we'll all breathe a sigh of relief when this baby is finally born!  I think we're in the pushing phase right now... how's it feel?

dave
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
I prefer the earlier designs. Less is definitely more.  Pic 1 definitely looks the best but I doubt it will offer any real protection. I think it was just a photo to show the progress of the project. Pics 3- 5 are outstanding. I assume that the third bar that is added in the next pics are for added strength. So I don't know if those pics show a viable product. If Ryan and MCE think that would work, thats the best looking. Pics 6-8 are pretty good. I suspect that the extra metal is for strength.  I don't care for 9 or 10. They look boxy and out of place. Maybe it's the photoshop. It may look better mocked up, but I don't care for either.

I agree with Astros50 that the simplier design (#1) has its appeal.  If that design provides sufficient protection, and the two points of contact instead of three would provide adequate support, then #1 is my preference.  But kudos to Gordon for his design (#10); the best looking of the more expansive designs.
2010 C14 ABS

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
It sounds like #8 and #10 are getting a lot of attention, and I like them both enough to buy either of them, but I would like to see a pic taken of both of those choices taken a few feet back so we can see how the front and rear (small) bars look together as a package. The rear bars are horizontally oriented and I just want to see how  the fronts look with both orientations, horizontal and upswept.

Hang in there, Ryan...we'll all breathe a sigh of relief when this baby is finally born!  I think we're in the pushing phase right now... how's it feel?

dave

It feels like I should have opted for the epidural and C-section rather than this natural-born hooey! Hahahaha totally kidding! I'm a little weary from trying to many designs but I believe our hard work will definitely pay off in the end! I'll see if I can get photos a little farther back for you, though. As it is right now I believe we have #10 mounted on the right side of the bike and #8 mounted on the left side so getting photos of both should be a snap.

I agree with Astros50 that the simplier design (#1) has its appeal.  If that design provides sufficient protection, and the two points of contact instead of three would provide adequate support, then #1 is my preference.  But kudos to Gordon for his design (#10); the best looking of the more expansive designs.

Unfortunately #1 doesn't offer the type of protection we're aiming for so that one is pretty much out of the race. To protect the bike like we need it to, we have to have the horizontal bar that extends back in some way, shape, or form. Whether it meets the vertical bar at the middle or bottom though is merely style preference. However, I believe one of the designs with the second horizontal bar is going to be the strongest and offer the most protection. I believe that's why we're leaning towards one of those designs as of right now.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Huero

« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
This has got to be one of the best threads i have followed in a long time. Its refreshing to see a business that listens to their target demographic on the front end.

Ryan, i know it can be hard since we all have are own opinion of what is perfect. I applaud you for your effort.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
This has got to be one of the best threads i have followed in a long time. Its refreshing to see a business that listens to their target demographic on the front end.

Ryan, i know it can be hard since we all have are own opinion of what is perfect. I applaud you for your effort.

+1 Ryan! I'll reward your hard work and patience by buying a set of these bars once all is said and done.    :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »
Unfortunately #1 doesn't offer the type of protection we're aiming for so that one is pretty much out of the race. To protect the bike like we need it to, we have to have the horizontal bar that extends back in some way, shape, or form. Whether it meets the vertical bar at the middle or bottom though is merely style preference. However, I believe one of the designs with the second horizontal bar is going to be the strongest and offer the most protection. I believe that's why we're leaning towards one of those designs as of right now.

Ryan, thanks for the explanation. This evolving endeavor is an interesting process!
2010 C14 ABS

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Unfortunately, if we did that, we'd have to pay to have the paint stripped when we send the bar down to get powder coated if it's the design we end up settling on. :( So, I'd rather not risk it right now because we're not sure which bar we're going to go with yet. Once we decide on a final design, I could probably do this with one of the runner-ups though just to give you guys an idea of how much the bars disappear into the fairings once they're painted. Would that work for you?

Just use this bar as it doesn't have to be one of the final designes, just close.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline danl

« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
I suppose the new one is now "#11", I'm liking that look. Combines the best of both 8 and 10.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
Just use this bar as it doesn't have to be one of the final designes, just close.

We really only have 2 or so separate bars as of right now. We're not making completely new bars for every design, merely modifying the previous bar with the changes discussed here. Once we settle on a design though, I'll see if I can paint the runner-up and put it on for you guys so you can get an idea of what the bar will look like when it's finished.

Offline Stretch

« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »
I believe the modified #10 design is the better way to go.  The bottom bar being lower and the sweep are more in keeping with the rest of the lines on the C14.  When you look at the bike as a whole, there are a lot more curving lines than sharp angular line.  Whatever you decide, you're going to have a hit on your hand.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
Welp, here is #11 and hopefully the final design! I REALLY dig this design and it looks stellar on the bike. Also, it really goes well with the small rear guards as the radius' really match up and look awesome. I sure as hell hope you guys like this design as much as I do so we can get it finalized and finished!

There's really only one concern with this bar: The upwards bend where the bar wraps around the fairing and begins going forward on the bike pictured below MAY get bent up more towards the fairing if the bike goes over hard enough. I'm hoping the upper horizontal bar will add enough strength to stop it from hitting the fairing, though. This is something we just won't know until we start doing a bit of drop over testing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
#11 has 3 mounting points right Ryan?

It looks great to me. I just hope that it fits a '08/'09.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Come on Ryan, lay it on it's side already bro...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
#11 has 3 mounting points right Ryan?

It looks great to me. I just hope that it fits a '08/'09.

I concur. If you can proof it on an 08/09 I'm in.