Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293905 times)

Offline RBX QB

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
Hmmm... Part of me likes the horizontal back bar, part of me prefers something that attempts to parallel the fins, at least until it rounds the corner to the mount location above the brake.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
Hmmm... Part of me likes the horizontal back bar, part of me prefers something that attempts to parallel the fins, at least until it rounds the corner to the mount location above the brake.

We were originally looking at a design for the "horizontal bar" that flowed more with the fins but too many bends tend to weaken the bar. I"ll have a look again though when I get into the office in the morning and see if there's another way to make that bar flow a bit better. Aesthetics are definitely important but it's the gentle balance between looks and funcionality that makes a great product.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
I'm liking what I see, I agree, the "H" bar should be, well, horizontal to the ground.  Keep it up and I'll have to return my new Fox Instinct boots.  I can always rattle can the bars Silverdammit ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
I'm sorry guys, but for my 34" inseam legs, that rear mounting point of the "horizontal" bar is going to cause a knot on my shin that I'm really not willing to live with. I went out and sat on my bike, put my feet up on the pegs, and reached down to where that mounting point is located. I seem to me that I'm going to be banging my shin on it quite a bit.  :'(

If you do end up using that as the rear mounting location, couldn't you still connect the front end of the horizontal bar to the bottom (mounting point) of the vertical bar, giving it more of an L-shaped configuration so that the angle of the "horizontal" section better follows the lines of the '10+ bike?

And could we get a pic from the front of the bike so that we can see how far the bars stick out?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »
I'm liking what I see, I agree, the "H" bar should be, well, horizontal to the ground.  Keep it up and I'll have to return my new Fox Instinct boots.  I can always rattle can the bars Silverdammit ;D
+1 on Horizontal for strength.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
I'm sorry guys, but for my 34" inseam legs, that rear mounting point of the "horizontal" bar is going to cause a knot on my shin that I'm really not willing to live with. I went out and sat on my bike, put my feet up on the pegs, and reached down to where that mounting point is located. I seem to me that I'm going to be banging my shin on it quite a bit.  :'(

If you do end up using that as the rear mounting location, couldn't you still connect the front end of the horizontal bar to the bottom (mounting point) of the vertical bar, giving it more of an L-shaped configuration so that the angle of the "horizontal" section better follows the lines of the '10+ bike?

And could we get a pic from the front of the bike so that we can see how far the bars stick out?

Good point! I also would like to see the bar that extends rearward attached at the lower point on the vertical bar.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Marco1018

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »
Can you get a shot of how much fall protection there is?  I don't mean actually dropping the bike but putting a piece of plywood up to simulate how these will hit the ground.

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »
It's probably too late to even consider but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

The radius is probably too tight but the ell at the bottom might be rounded off.
Colorado
2013 Blue

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »

I think you should actually be fine with the shin issue. My legs aren't quite as long as yours but I'm not even close to hitting the bar when sitting on the bike. The photo may be misleading because the bar doesn't actually extend all the way to that mounting point. We're using a bracket that will allow the bar to be slightly forward from that mounting point so there's actually more room there than is visible in the photos. I'll take some other photos of myself on the bike and the relationship between my shin and the bar once the design is finalized.

Y'know, I originally had planned to connect from that point you're describing so the bar would follow the lines of the bike. Check out my awesome photoshop photo in reply #146, that's how I had originally planned the bar to be. For some reason they had to change it though. I'll talk to Armando this morning and see if there was a technological reason for the change and whether or not we can change it back.

Here's a photo from the front. These bars run really close to the fairing to allow for extreme lean angles a lot of you encounter in various situations.

Keep in mind, this bar extends past the front fairings but does not protrude past the rear saddle bags so they will not be protected in case of a tip-over. Honestly, I don't know of a single set of front fairing guards that will completely protect the bags. Our bathroom bars get close but even they don't completely protect the rear bags. Unfortunately, the optimal amount of protection would be achieved through the use of both a front and rear set of guards.

Can you get a shot of how much fall protection there is?  I don't mean actually dropping the bike but putting a piece of plywood up to simulate how these will hit the ground.

That'll be coming once we get the bar completely tacked and bent into place. First we have to finalize the design before we do that sort of testing. We won't be dropping this bike but generally we have 4 or 5 guys lean the bike over to see where the bar will be coming in contact with the ground. I'll be sure to snap photos when we do this for you guys!

It's probably too late to even consider but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

The radius is probably too tight but the ell at the bottom might be rounded off.

It's never too late! I originally wanted that part rounded off because it looks a bit nicer but in order to have the "quick-release" and the eventual integration of a delrin slider, the bar unfortunately NEEDS to be this way. I was trying to think of another design that would allow for the bar to be taken off quickly, as that seemed to be a big concern amongst you guys, but the current set up is really the best way I could accomplish that.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Ryan,

From the way the bars looks in the front shot it doesn't look like it's going to protect the plastic down low.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Ryan,

From the way the bars looks in the front shot it doesn't look like it's going to protect the plastic down low.

That's where the horizontal bar comes in. The Connies tend to hit lower on the fairing a bit farther back than where one might think. You'll see what I mean once we get the design finalized and tilt the bike over. I'll be sure to take pics of this for you guys so you can see where the bar comes in contact with the ground and how much of the bike is really protected.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
I'm sorry guys, but for my 34" inseam legs, that rear mounting point of the "horizontal" bar is going to cause a knot on my shin that I'm really not willing to live with...

Here's a photo of the bracket mount we're talking about. This mount moves the bar forward a solid 4" or so, so that should give you quite a bit more clearance. We have a machinist who is 6'1 and we're using him as our guinea pig.

Also, I think we're going to take your guys' advice and move the horizontal bar to the bottom of the vertical bar. I think the bar definitely looks better this way. Check it out!

And, finally, regarding why we decided not to bend the horizontal bar to flow with the vents: We bent and tacked a horizontal bar in place that flowed with the fairings but the first thing that came to us is that bend is going to smash into the fairing if the bike fell over which is precisely what the bars shouldn't do. It's a bit tough to explain but the picture below may help you picture what we're describing. If you look at the photo, the upper part of the horizontal bar where it begins to bend back down (right where Armando's hand is) would be pushed into the fairing in a tip over. The style we have now where the horizontal bar is more straight would hold up much better in a tip over as it's more perpendicular to the ground when the bike is tilted over.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
Ok, where is your shop located? I need to come by and "point" as my drawing skills are terrible!! LOL  :o
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Ok, where is your shop located? I need to come by and "point" as my drawing skills are terrible!! LOL  :o

Oxnard, CA
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Oxnard, CA

Oh well, too far to run over there this afternoon.
 It's great that MCE is getting input from those that are riding the Concours and willing to entertain our many suggestions. :chugbeer:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »

We're located in Oxnard, CA. However, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in your post. Do you mean point to the location lower on the vertical bar where we should mount the horizontal bar? I think we've made the change you're describing, though. Here's a photo below of the bar in it's current form:

Here's a clearance shot from the top to give you guys an idea of how close these bars are to the fairings...

Here's a shot of my sexy legs in relation to where the bar mounts up. Granted, I'm only 5'10 but it looks like you'd need to be, like, 6'8" to hit your knee/shin...

Offline danl

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
These are going to be nice, I need tip over protection and just can't see myself spending the $$$ some of those products cost. This is going to be a streamlined and hopefully cost effective solution. Looks like there is plenty of area to add some highway pegs if you want too!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
This is going to be a streamlined and hopefully cost effective solution.

We hope so too! Based on pricing of some of our similar products, you guys can expect these Canyon Cages to be roughly $250 or so which is relatively affordable compared to some other companies' products.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
We hope so too! Based on pricing of some of our similar products, you guys can expect these Canyon Cages to be roughly $250 or so which is relatively affordable compared to some other companies' products.

Hmmm, maybe I had better see if I can unload my GSG sliders ASAP!

Lookin good Ryan!   (the bars, not your legs    ;D  )
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
Lookin good Ryan!   (the bars, not your legs    ;D  )

LOL!