Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293479 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #800 on: May 14, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
Ci vuole sempre tanta prudenza.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/393389_2919668597047_1420743669_3019992_1978297721_n.jpg

MGvalerio. 8)

Bummer! Sorry to see that. Is that your bike MG?

Mi dispiace vedere che. È questa la tua moto MG?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #801 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/393389_2919668597047_1420743669_3019992_1978297721_n.jpg

MGvalerio. 8)

:yikes: :'(

Sorry to see that MG... How fast were you going? (Qual è la velocità sono stati yu andando?)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #802 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's not MG's bike, the last pic I saw of his bike didn't include bathoom bars.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #803 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
Bathroom bars and small rears. Lost mirror, saddle bag and ? . What else do you see?  How bad would it have been without the crash bars?

MGvalerio

« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's not MG's bike, the last pic I saw of his bike didn't include bathoom bars.

yes non è la mia moto,la mia moto MY 2007 .quella in foto è un MY 2010.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #805 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »
I gotta wonder if that bike was side swiped or something? How could the mirror have taken such a hit unless it was?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #806 on: May 14, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »

yes non è la mia moto,la mia moto MY 2007 .quella in foto è un MY 2010.

What? That is your bike or it is not? I know that you have a 2008. The back of the muffler looks like a Gen 2 bike.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #807 on: May 14, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »

Yikes!!!  All that damage can't be from just a fallover, can't it?  I mean, with the bathroom bars and rears, that just doesn't look right.  I can't tell exactly what all the debris is from that far away, but it looks like the mirror and fairing??  Must be the upper fairing, since there seems to be reflector, turn signal debris.  To me, it looks like a collision and then a fall.  We need more info!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #808 on: May 14, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
Yikes!!!  All that damage can't be from just a fallover, can't it?  I mean, with the bathroom bars and rears, that just doesn't look right.  I can't tell exactly what all the debris is from that far away, but it looks like the mirror and fairing??  Must be the upper fairing, since there seems to be reflector, turn signal debris.  To me, it looks like a collision and then a fall.  We need more info!!!

No way.  That bike either hit something or got side swiped. 
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline ugocon

« Reply #809 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
Ouch!!! :o
It hurts to see the bike in that way!  :'(
Anyway, the cage didn't do much to protect the bike: I'd say almost zero effect!
All that could have been ripped off... has been ripped off: saddlebag, mirror, part of the fairing and also the front turn light, if I'm not wrong!
I'm quite sure that the bike was moving so probably a wrong slow speed maneuver losing the control of the bike or a hit at relatively low speed.
It seems that even a slow speed can almost nullify the cage protection.
That gimmick is good for drops from stand still: I think that nothing can prevent 300 kg (600 lbs) of iron and plastic from being heavily damaged when hitting the ground at even a slow speed.  :-\
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #810 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
Anyway, the cage didn't do much to protect the bike: I'd say almost zero effect!

Well, we don't KNOW that.

All that could have been ripped off... has been ripped off: saddlebag, mirror, part of the fairing and also the front turn light, if I'm not wrong.  I'm quite sure that the bike was moving so probably a wrong slow speed maneuver losing the control of the bike or a hit at relatively low speed. It seems that even a slow speed can almost nullify the cage protection. That gimmick is good for drops from stand still: I think that nothing can prevent 300 kg (600 lbs) of iron and plastic from being heavily damaged when hitting the ground at even a slow speed.  :-\

I wouldn't go that bold of a statement yet, not without knowing what happened.  Perhaps Ryan can step in with some additional data.  For example, the mirror being broken off- I just don't see that happening with the bathroom bars and rears in a non-collision situation.  And even with damage, the "cage" can offer some anti-entrapment protection for the driver, too.  And could it be worse without protection?  Of course... we have NO IDEA how much *structural* damage might have occurred without the bars- like broken mounts, damaged block, destroyed wiring, trashing the radiator, etc.

In short- not enough info!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #811 on: May 14, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »
With the inertia involved in a drop at speed, or collision, I don't think any bar would prevent ALL damage. Bars and sliders hope to MINIMIZE or REDUCE damage. That's why I ordered them, as I believe my greatest chance of a drop is low to no speed. At speed, I expect my bike to take some pretty good damage. That's where protective clothing steps in.

I'm not a physicist, but I've seen them on TV.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #812 on: May 14, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »
With the inertia involved in a drop at speed, or collision, I don't think any bar would prevent ALL damage. Bars and sliders hope to MINIMIZE or REDUCE damage. That's why I ordered them, as I believe my greatest chance of a drop is low to no speed. At speed, I expect my bike to take some pretty good damage. That's where protective clothing steps in.

I'm not a physicist, but I've seen them on TV.

:goodpost:    +1...

I've wrecked many bikes, they never just tip over and come to rest if you're moving, typically a cart wheel or two and sliding into something solid etc comes into play and that's why we have insurance to step in and pay us the $. Tip over protection is exactly what it's called, tip over protection!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #813 on: May 14, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
Yeah, I have an impossible time believing that this was a low speed lowside.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #814 on: May 14, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
Ok, I have to ask, what is the difference between a high side and a low side? No smart Alec's!  :-X

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #815 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
Ok, I have to ask, what is the difference between a high side and a low side? No smart Alec's!  :-X

A cornering motorcycle leans.  A "low side" is going down on the side that was lower (tipped over, inside curve).  A "high side" is much worse- the bike violently flips around to the other side (the "high" side- the opposite of the low side, the outside of the curve).

Edit:  Look what I just found.  Is there anything NOT in Wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowsider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highsider

Offline daringdave

« Reply #816 on: May 14, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Ugocon, since you have helped interpret MGvalerio before, could you ask him where he got that photo from and the circumstances surrounding it and the crash, if he knows.

I'd like to read the write-up that was with that photo. I don't see what the bike struck... but it sure looks to me like it was involved in a collision.

Thanks, Dave
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #817 on: May 14, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
I have watched in person a bike hit a car running a stop sign and the only damage to the bike was a front rotor and some scratches in the chrome bars. The car had a gash ripped through the sheet metal of a door. I know its hard to believe but I watched it happen with my brother on the bike. The bike was a Honda Valkyrie and I was riding a V-star behind him. We continued our ride for the day. The Valkyrie has built in bars around the flat 6 engine and did an amazing job protecting the bike. He was doing 30 but probably had the bike down to about 5 mph (he did a nice job not locking the rear wheel) by the time he hit the car (car crossed the street from left to right) which turned the forks to the right and the left front fort ripped open the gash. So yes it is possible to build bars to give some serious protection to low speed crashes.

As someone else said we don't have enough info. Who knows what the bike would have looked like without the bars.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #818 on: May 15, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
Ugocon, since you have helped interpret MGvalerio before, could you ask him where he got that photo from and the circumstances surrounding it and the crash, if he knows.

I'd like to read the write-up that was with that photo. I don't see what the bike struck... but it sure looks to me like it was involved in a collision.

Thanks, Dave

I'll try to contact him to see where he found that photo and if there are more info on that...

Anyway it could have been much worse!  :o

Here is the link http://www.omaq.org/v3/2010/10/16/kawasaki-gtr-on-da-highway-plus/

It's in Malaysia.
Google translator gives this awful translation into English.... you can understand the sense...  :)
"VOCM his group viewed in BB omaq send picture .. He share in the BBM group I .. Member he aksident, thank God he survived member la ...: p can gak serious bike BLE member he tu ... tu serondol from behind .. Maybe coat sleepy .. Inalillahiwainailaihirajiun"
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

MGvalerio

« Reply #819 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
Posso assicuravi che la borsa è saltata fuori causa sbagliato sistema d'ancoraggio alla moto da parte di KAWASAKI.

MGvalerio. 8)