Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293508 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
She had paid attention to me all last summer as I kept looking for one. But, I couldn't find one that was clean enough for the money. So, she found one and bought it. Takes guts in my book.

I just want to keep it nice and think the canyon bars can help me keep scratches at bay.

Huero

That's pretty awesome.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline wendel

« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
Thanks Ryan.
2012 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #722 on: May 03, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
Ryan,

As far as the group buys go on the new Canyon cages, are there going to be two different and totally separate buys, one for the 08/09s and one for the newer models?

With the tiered discount, x number of bars sold for y% of discount, will you be including the number of 08/09s in the count of the newer models lumping them all together for the total amount sold?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #723 on: May 03, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
Thanks Ryan.

Sorry that was such a long response but you're welcome! I hope I addressed your concerns!

Ryan,

As far as the group buys go on the new Canyon cages, are there going to be two different and totally separate buys, one for the 08/09s and one for the newer models?

With the tiered discount, x number of bars sold for y% of discount, will you be including the number of 08/09s in the count of the newer models lumping them all together for the total amount sold?

As of right now I believe we're planning on doing two separate group buys, one for each generation. We're planning on doing it this way for a few reasons: I believe we'll have enough sets sold of each for people with both bikes to get the maximum discount and it seems it'll work out best this way based on the timing. We've neglected other normal business while getting these bars made so we need at least a two week break to catch up on stuff we've temporarily set aside. Also, we're not quite sure yet when the person with the 2009 will be able to loan us his bike but we assume it'll be within 2-3 weeks. I also think doing them separate will help minimize confusion for people as well. I'm assuming your main concern was everyone getting the maximum discount, correct? It wouldn't really be fair if the guys with the 2010-2012 got a better deal because there we're more of those bars purchased but based on the response we're getting I don't think we'll have to worry about that.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #724 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
ZG may be able to help me explain how much force is really needed for the bike to rock over that initial hit point because our Canyon Cage hits the ground in a similar fashion as the TopBlocks do and he's seen the bike go over first hand. The bike is actually pretty sturdy at the 45 degree angle spot.

Yep, I agree with Ryan. When my Connie went over she came to rest very securely at that 45 degree angle, she didn't even rock or teeter over at all.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »

Yep, I agree with Ryan. When my Connie went over she came to rest very securely at that 45 degree angle, she didn't even rock or teeter over at all.

Thanks, ZG! Yea, it's more sturdy at that 45 degree spot than people would initially assume based on the photos. I think it's because at that angle, the engine (where the majority of the weight is) is actually really close to the ground which helps keep the bike steady. It would take quite a nasty spill to rock over that point and damage the mirrors I believe. Keep in mind that most real world tip overs are assisted as well. Generally the rider has time to get their feet on the ground which takes some of the force away from the impact.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Just send ZG some of them new bars. He will be happy to do a full upright drop test for you...  ;D

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
Anything so he can get pictures of his bike and post them on the forum  ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
Just send ZG some of them new bars. He will be happy to do a full upright drop test for you...  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Anything so he can get pictures of his bike and post them on the forum  ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Ryan,

As of right now I believe we're planning on doing two separate group buys, one for each generation. We're planning on doing it this way for a few reasons: I believe we'll have enough sets sold of each for people with both bikes to get the maximum discount and it seems it'll work out best this way based on the timing. We've neglected other normal business while getting these bars made so we need at least a two week break to catch up on stuff we've temporarily set aside. Also, we're not quite sure yet when the person with the 2009 will be able to loan us his bike but we assume it'll be within 2-3 weeks. I also think doing them separate will help minimize confusion for people as well. I'm assuming your main concern was everyone getting the maximum discount, correct? It wouldn't really be fair if the guys with the 2010-2012 got a better deal because there we're more of those bars purchased but based on the response we're getting I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

Actually, I was only concerned about us folks with the fastest bikes (08s/09s) getting the max discount. But hey, whatever is fair.     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #730 on: May 03, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
Ok, Got her back today. Dam that cage looks awesome !!! In person . They follow the lines  of the fairing vents .

That is GREAT that you are so happy.  And we all thank you for being the test subject for so long :)

And since they are black. They almost disappear , and look like it is part of the bike from the manufacturer.

That is because your bike is black.  About half of us do not have a black bike.  I think it will be OK with the dark colors (dark blue, dark burgundy) but silver and neutron (and some others) might not look right with black.  Guess we will see.  I am leaning towards chrome for my silver bike.... I have the chrome small rears, and those work surprisingly well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #731 on: May 03, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »
That is because your bike is black.  About half of us do not have a black bike.  I think it will be OK with the dark colors (dark blue, dark burgundy) but silver and neutron (and some others) might not look right with black.  Guess we will see.  I am leaning towards chrome for my silver bike.... I have the chrome small rears, and those work surprisingly well.

Max,
Aren't the lowers on your slower silver Connie black, and also quite a bit of trim bits black??  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Aren't the lowers on your slower silver Connie black, and also quite a bit of trim bits black??  :-\

Yes.  All the Concourses have flat black lower fairings.  Except for black bikes, all Concourses have a non-black upper fairing.  The canyons span over about half the lower and half the upper.  So if you get black, it will half match and half not.  If you get chrome or any similar color to your bike it will half match and half not.

In my case, I learned something that surprised me when I put the chrome rear bars on.  Since the silver bike already has black lowers, dash, grips, seat, rear, and bag trim, but silver bags, pegs, exhaust, discs, and swing arms, and chrome headlight reflectors, heat shield, and discs, it looks quite decent.  The mixture "works".  I think it will work the same with the chrome front bars.

I think those with non-silver and non-black bikes are going to have the hardest time deciding what to do from a color standpoint.  I have a feeling the chrome bars will only really work on a silver bike (and MAYBE a Neutron bike).  For all others, black might be best, or perhaps color-matched.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #733 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
That's why Dalroo and I are planning on color matching our '10s....  :D  Should look RIGHT slick.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #734 on: May 03, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
+1 !!!! Let's go!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #735 on: May 03, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
I would be buying these for slow speed drops, not crashes.  I do not think that even the bathroom bars will help in a true CRASH.  Dropping the bike past 45degrees is known as turtleing the bike and it has to be a very hard fall, much more than a slow speed DROP.  I look forward to the 08/09 design.  You guys with the fruffy silver bikes just need to powder coat them whatever color floats your boat and quit worrying about it.  I think you should just use Candy Diamond Red, at least it would make them faster.   

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #736 on: May 03, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
I would be buying these for slow speed drops, not crashes.  I do not think that even the bathroom bars will help in a true CRASH.  Dropping the bike past 45degrees is known as turtleing the bike and it has to be a very hard fall, much more than a slow speed DROP.  I look forward to the 08/09 design.  You guys with the fruffy silver bikes just need to powder coat them whatever color floats your boat and quit worrying about it.  I think you should just use Candy Diamond Red, at least it would make them faster.
That would be fruffy Silverdammit thank you very much and we don't need the added drag from Candy A$$ Red slowing us down. 8)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #737 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
I think they look great!  And the discount price is great as well.  I'll go with the black for my Atomic Silver bike since most of the bar is in the black lower area, and the rest blendsinto the black holes of the venting. I also don't like polishing chrome.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #738 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
I think they look great!  And the discount price is great as well.  I'll go with the black for my Atomic Silver bike since most of the bar is in the black lower area, and the rest blends into the black holes of the venting. I also don't like polishing chrome.

Actually, from the side, exactly half the bar is over the silver and half is over the black.  Also, if you are CLOSER to the bike and looking down, most of the bar will appear to over the silver areas.  But you are correct that black might work OK too, since the vent areas of much (but not all) of the rest of the bar is in the darker vent area.

Not sure about the polishing thing... quality chrome finishes should not tarnish or discolor... you just wash them like the rest of the bike.  At least, that is what I have noticed so far...

Taff

« Reply #739 on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »

+1