Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293503 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #700 on: May 02, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Hi Ryan ,
The fork and swing arm sliders referred to were made by Topblock in France. I was hoping you may have had something similar on your range which would then make a nice complete package and simplified my logistics.

Ahhh okay, I'm familiar with those sliders. Unfortunately we don't offer anything like that so I can't include them in the Ground Buy for you.  :'( Honestly though, it doesn't really seem like either would be necessary if one were to use the Canyon Cage and small saddlebag guards together. Both those bars used together offer a significant amount of protection.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Zulu

« Reply #701 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
Ok, Got her back today. Dam that cage looks awesome !!! In person . They follow the lines  of the fairing vents .   And since they are black. They almost disappear , and look like it is part of the bike from the manufacturer . From a distance  you can’t tell they are there . I am 5’10”  and had no issues  with my shins hitting  the bars . I was worried  bars would be in the way.

Taff

« Reply #702 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
Ok, Got her back today. Dam that cage looks awesome !!! In person . They follow the lines  of the fairing vents .   And since they are black. They almost disappear , and look like it is part of the bike from the manufacturer . From a distance  you can’t tell they are there . I am 5’10”  and had no issues  with my shins hitting  the bars . I was worried  bars would be in the way.

Glad you got your bike home and thanks for loaning it for the crash bar build.

Offline wendel

« Reply #703 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Guess I will be keeping my bathroom bars. If Ryan is not confident enough that the Canyon Cages will prevent damage to the mirrors during a drop test, then I will not have any confidence in them now.  Right now, I have the peace of mind knowing that if I drop the bike, it will be okay, and for me that was the issue. Add the price of the Canyon Cages and a new mirror and that can be expensive. Or you can have a scratched mirror which most likely you would have if you lost your balance at the pumps, parking lot, etc and laid it over and slowed the descent of the bike until it finally laid over.

I bought my bars for the drop and knowing I can get flat black paint and touch them up.
2012 C14

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #704 on: May 03, 2012, 06:11:41 AM »
I'm in the group waiting for the 08 model. So I was looking for a highway peg that is subtle and will tuck out of the way when not needed  and I think these fit the bill perfectly. What do you think? Any better solutions while we wait?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindby-Black-Wide-Band-Cruise-Highway-Pegs-/120902578639?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c265af1cf&vxp=mtr
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #705 on: May 03, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »
Nice looking but Ryan is using 7/8 bar I believe.
We may have trouble finding something. A look through JPCycles showed 1',1 1/8, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 mounts.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #706 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »
Sounds like the best choice for you, Wendel, absolutely.  There are compromises in the world and we all choose which is more important. 
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline wendel

« Reply #707 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »
I have been following this thread and was prepared to make a trade and loose a little for the other bars, until Ryan posted his reasons for not drop testing. They look good you are correct. Different folks have different wants. They do look go though.
2012 C14

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #708 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »

You can just look at them and tell the cage won't protect as well as the bathroom bars, but they do look so much better especially with black bolts.   :D :D

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #709 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »

You can just look at them and tell the cage won't protect as well as the bathroom bars, but they do look so much better.  :)

No kidding!  The difference is that the bathroom bars are so ugly, they would never be on the bike,  The cage would be.  Therefore, the cage has better protection!

:o

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #710 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:22 AM »
Hey everyone! We finally got pricing worked up and it looks like they'll be going for $300 MSRP. However, there will definitely be a nice discount for those of you who participate in the group buy. We'll probably do a similar set up where there are tiered discounts based on how many people order but I'm hoping for a maximum discount of 25% so you're looking at closer to $225 for the Canyon Cage if you get in on the group buy! That's a hell of a deal! I'll be starting a new thread for the group buy so stay tuned for that if you're interested in purchasing a set.

I'm glad you like them, Zulu! They sure do look great in person, don't they? Also, I'm glad to hear you had no clearance issues with your shins. In the photos it looks like they may be close but unless you're dang near 6'8" or so, you shouldn't have any issues. Thanks again for letting us use the bike! You're the best!

Guess I will be keeping my bathroom bars. If Ryan is not confident enough that the Canyon Cages will prevent damage to the mirrors during a drop test, then I will not have any confidence in them now.  Right now, I have the peace of mind knowing that if I drop the bike, it will be okay, and for me that was the issue. Add the price of the Canyon Cages and a new mirror and that can be expensive. Or you can have a scratched mirror which most likely you would have if you lost your balance at the pumps, parking lot, etc and laid it over and slowed the descent of the bike until it finally laid over.

I bought my bars for the drop and knowing I can get flat black paint and touch them up.

I think some of you guys may be underestimating the level of protection the Canyon Cages will provide and that may be partly my fault based on how I worded things. In slow-to-no speed tip overs (like at a stop light or at the bottom of your driveway) the Canyon Cage will definitely protect the entire bike. In these types of tip overs the bike stops at the position pictured below which, as you can see, holds the entire bike (as well as the mirrors) off the ground thus protecting them from taking damage.

This type of spill reminds me of what ZG went through with his Top Blocks installed (http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8315.0). You can see how his bike came to rest at that "45 degree" type of angle where his mirrors are held off the ground. You can expect very similar protection from the Canyon Cages.

The only time the Canyon Cage is not going to protect the mirrors is during a much higher speed spill in which the bike has enough force to rock over that initial point (which is actually relatively difficult to do). The photo below shows how the Cage holds the bike up during such an incident however this is when the mirrors may take a bit of a hit.

I'm in the group waiting for the 08 model. So I was looking for a highway peg that is subtle and will tuck out of the way when not needed  and I think these fit the bill perfectly. What do you think? Any better solutions while we wait?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindby-Black-Wide-Band-Cruise-Highway-Pegs-/120902578639?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c265af1cf&vxp=mtr

Those look like they'd work just fine. We actually ended up using 1" bar so the Canyon Cage would match the diameter of the small saddle bag guards we make which are also 1" material. Also, a 1" bar will make it much easier for those of you interested in highway pegs to find a set that will fit!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Huero

« Reply #711 on: May 03, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Ryan,
Man those look absolute great! My hats off to you guys for doing this. My wife bought a concours for me at Christmas and I was about to pull the trigger for the r&g bars over at twisted throttle. Then, I saw this thread start up. I have an 08' so I will wait till the group buy on those. Anyway, thanks for building such great products.

Huero
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:28:51 AM by Huero »

Offline wendel

« Reply #712 on: May 03, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Not to be sarcastic, but at what point did the bike tip over completely to the side. Was it during the full drop test? I do not imagine in the shop you were able to get up much speed and then have an employee drop the bike. From my perspective it does not seem it would take much for the bike to go past the Canyon Cages first stop. Looks like anything more than an assisted lay down will cause it to roll over past the initial strike zone. My reason for this post is, I really like the new design, and unfortunately, we do not have a drop test as your original video that was posted on line.

If I understand you correctly, these were designed for the assisted lay down that happens when you come to a stop or loose your footing/balance while stopped.

Earlier you had posted that the people who had bought the original bars would be given sometype of trade in deal. Have you worked that up or are the original group buy people now expected to sell the front bars on their own? Thanks for the effort and amount of time you have put forth on this project and the last group buy.
2012 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #713 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:29 AM »
Ryan,
Man those look absolute great! I hats off to you guys for doing this. My wife bought a concours for me at Christmas and I was about to pull the trigger for the r&g bars over at twisted throttle. Then, I saw this thread start up. I have an 08' so I will wait till the group injury on those. Anyway, thanks for building such great products.

Huero
Wow, she's a keeper!

Offline Huero

« Reply #714 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Wow, she's a keeper!

For sure. She kept it a secret. Got financed at the bank even had a buddy in on it. She got him to deliver it on Christmas morning in an enclosed trailer(we live in idaho). I am still blown away. I knew there was a reason I married her. 

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #715 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious...how did she know exactly what to buy you and still have it be a surprise?  My wife complains that I'm so particular she's afraid of buying stuff like motorcycles, gear, electronics because she's afraid she won't get what I want.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #716 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
Ryan,
Man those look absolute great! I hats off to you guys for doing this. My wife bought a concours for me at Christmas and I was about to pull the trigger for the r&g bars over at twisted throttle. Then, I saw this thread start up. I have an 08' so I will wait till the group injury on those. Anyway, thanks for building such great products.

Huero

Thanks, Huero! Hopefully we'll be getting the '08-'09 bike in sometime soon. We neglected a bit of normal business while building these bars so it may be 2-3 weeks before we get another bike in our shop but it's definitely on our agenda. I'll keep you guys updated as well when I hear more on when we may be getting the bike in!

Not to be sarcastic, but at what point did the bike tip over completely to the side. Was it during the full drop test? I do not imagine in the shop you were able to get up much speed and then have an employee drop the bike. From my perspective it does not seem it would take much for the bike to go past the Canyon Cages first stop. Looks like anything more than an assisted lay down will cause it to roll over past the initial strike zone. My reason for this post is, I really like the new design, and unfortunately, we do not have a drop test as your original video that was posted on line.

If I understand you correctly, these were designed for the assisted lay down that happens when you come to a stop or loose your footing/balance while stopped.

Earlier you had posted that the people who had bought the original bars would be given sometype of trade in deal. Have you worked that up or are the original group buy people now expected to sell the front bars on their own? Thanks for the effort and amount of time you have put forth on this project and the last group buy.

That didn't sound sarcastic at all, it's a valid concern! We laid the bike completely over on its side to get those photos I posted, it didn't happen during any of the drop tests. We did do a number of unassisted drops from about half way over in which the bike came to rest at that 45 degree spot. Seeing as how real world tip overs are rarely "unassisted" (most people are on the bike when it goes over and have time to get their feet down to slow the fall a tad) we figured the tests would suffice. We have done extensive drop tests with our bathroom bars (including full unassisted drops) and have learned a great deal from those tests. Even though the application has changed, many of the theories remain the same. Also, it actually does take quite a bit of force for the bike to roll over that initial impact point especially because the Canyon Cage is flatter on the bike than our bathroom bars. The bathroom bars are a tad bit rounder at the impact point which actually causes the bike to roll over a bit easier. However, the added protection of the bathroom bars helps account for the easier roll over. ZG may be able to help me explain how much force is really needed for the bike to rock over that initial hit point because our Canyon Cage hits the ground in a similar fashion as the TopBlocks do and he's seen the bike go over first hand. The bike is actually pretty sturdy at the 45 degree angle spot.

These bars were designed to offer as much protection as possible while remaining low profile enough for those of you who do intense canyon riding. These bars definitely offer protection for assisted and no-to-low speed tip overs but I believe they'll also help protect the bike during a range of other situations as well. It's just impossible to know exactly how much until we start selling sets and have people field "test" them. Based on knowledge gained from the testing we did with the Canyon Cage as well as the bathroom bars in the past, I truly believe we've created a product that will hold up well. They almost look too low profile to truly protect the bike the way our bathroom bars do but I believe people will be surprised once they start hearing reviews from people who end up purchasing the bars.

The people who bought the bathroom bars during the first group buy are SCREWED! Hah! Totally kidding, wendel.  ;D I will work with those of you who purchased the front bars during the group buy if you'd like to trade them in for the Canyon Cages. The Canyon Cages are going to be a bit less expensive so we'll most likely have the people send the bathroom bars back to us, send them the Canyon Cage, and then refund the difference. I'll have to handle those cases on a one-by-one basis though. Keep in mind that we have to resell the bathroom bars though so they have to be in perfect condition. We won't be able to handle an exchange if the bar is bent from a tip-over however if there are any scuffs or marks (including stuff like washer marks from installation) we'll take the exchange and have to charge the customer to have the bars stripped and redone. I know this is a bit strict but we value quality highly and don't want to resell products that are not in perfect condition as a courtesy to our future customers.

Phew! Sorry for that wall of text! It took more than I initially assumed to address your concerns! Hahahaha.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #717 on: May 03, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious...how did she know exactly what to buy you and still have it be a surprise?  My wife complains that I'm so particular she's afraid of buying stuff like motorcycles, gear, electronics because she's afraid she won't get what I want.

She should read your mind like you're suppose to read hers...

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #718 on: May 03, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
She should read your mind like you're suppose to read hers...

I've tried that approach....didn't work out well.

--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Huero

« Reply #719 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
She had paid attention to me all last summer as I kept looking for one. But, I couldn't find one that was clean enough for the money. So, she found one and bought it. Takes guts in my book.

I just want to keep it nice and think the canyon bars can help me keep scratches at bay.

Huero