Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293863 times)

Offline Stretch

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #680 on: May 01, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Well done Ryan, persistance definitely paid off with an excellent looking product.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #681 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
Thanks for the photos! I've still got the "bathroom bars" and thankfully haven't gotten to test them yet to see if they provide better protection for the entire bike vs these. Does anyone know if the earlier version MCE bars were supposed to protect the mirrors or not?

Yes, watch their drop vid here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7593.msg91307#msg91307
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #682 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
Yes, watch their drop vid here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7593.msg91307#msg91307
Thanks!

Yeah those "bathroom bars" look quite sturdy in that video. I might just hang on to them for a while. It might be a good payoff some day to have that much protection overall.
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #683 on: May 01, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
I don't think anyone has questioned the protection ability of the bathroom bars.  It's a question of aesthetics.  There's form, and there's function, and to many, the bathroom bars are too much function over form.   That's CERTAINLY not true for everyone, and it's not a criticism of any who hold that opinion either way.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Conrad

« Reply #684 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
Nice disclaimer there Necron    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #685 on: May 01, 2012, 12:49:32 PM »
I don't think anyone has questioned the protection ability of the bathroom bars.  It's a question of aesthetics.  There's form, and there's function, and to many, the bathroom bars are too much function over form.   That's CERTAINLY not true for everyone, and it's not a criticism of any who hold that opinion either way.

This was a great way of putting it! The bathroom bars do offer a lot of protection at the unfortunate expense of aesthetics. They sure work well but aren't the prettiest bars out there. We're hoping the Canyon Cage is a perfect middle ground for those of you who want protection that looks good while doing its job!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #686 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
I honestly wasn't even trying to be "pc" about it... beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.  I have a facebook friend who LOVES her bathroom bars, got them in chrome, thinks they're the bee's knees...  Who am I to say?  I'm sure there are people who think my Neptune Blue is the ugliest color on the planet.  Good thing I'm the one riding it and not that guy.  LOL
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #687 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
 :goodpost:

Offline daringdave

« Reply #688 on: May 01, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
When I bought my 2010 Connie, the deciding factor was either a new 2011 or a used 2010 Neptune Blue ... I love the color... I'm glad I had a choice... silverdammit is pretty cool, too, but as my signature line says, "Neptune Blue gets more chicks."
2010 Neptune Blue

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #689 on: May 01, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
There are some photos of when we laid the bike over back on page 35-40 or so. We decided against the video for reasons I posted above but there are some photos you can check out a few pages back of the bike on its side and what part of the bike hits when. If you'd like a few more photos of the bike on its side, I may be able to lay it over one last time and take some additional angles.

I think this would be a good idea.  If nothing else, you will want some nice "file photos" for promotional use or archival/etc.  The previous photos were unfinished and with lots of green tape all over the bike.  Take your time and get as much as you can before the bike is gone- it will be worth the 30 or 45 minutes!  Try with different settings and flash/flashless, at different angles and distances and such.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #690 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
Will the 08/09 bars need the extra loop on them?  Does it need to be there?  I can see a vertical bar, and a horizontal bar.  Is the extra loop really needed?

Offline Huero

« Reply #691 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
Are you talking about the rear bars? They make a loop when looking from the front.

Offline julianm

« Reply #692 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Hi Ryan ,
Is there any possibility of including swing arm and front fork sliders with the group buy package and how do you think they would work in conjunction with the bars.
Looking at ZG's pics of the Top Block ones with his recent drive way tip , they did seem to offer some protection to the exhaust.

I would also like to extend my thanks to Zulu for unselfishly offering his bike as the test bike for the bars. Much appreciated .

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #693 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Will the 08/09 bars need the extra loop on them?  Does it need to be there?  I can see a vertical bar, and a horizontal bar.  Is the extra loop really needed?

I'm not quite sure what loop you're referring to but everything we did to the cage was done for one reason or another. We wanted these to be as low profile as possible while still offering great protection so we really tried to avoid any unnecessary material or additions. We'll be using the cage we just completed as a sort of template but it'll be a brand new design with all unnecessary things removed. As far as what will or will not be needed, we won't really know until we get the bike in and begin preliminary design but you can bet we're going to do our best to create a low profile product that looks as well as it performs.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #694 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
Hi Ryan ,
Is there any possibility of including swing arm and front fork sliders with the group buy package and how do you think they would work in conjunction with the bars.
Looking at ZG's pics of the Top Block ones with his recent drive way tip , they did seem to offer some protection to the exhaust.

I would also like to extend my thanks to Zulu for unselfishly offering his bike as the test bike for the bars. Much appreciated .

What swing arm and front fork sliders are you referring to? Are they made by another company? The Group Buy will be for the Canyon Cage and small saddlebag guards that we make only. I'm not sure if another product from another company is going to work in accordance with our products because we have no way to test them together. If someone else has the rear swing arm and front fork sliders you're referring to perhaps they would know.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #695 on: May 02, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
I'm not quite sure what loop you're referring to but everything we did to the cage was done for one reason or another. We wanted these to be as low profile as possible while still offering great protection so we really tried to avoid any unnecessary material or additions. We'll be using the cage we just completed as a sort of template but it'll be a brand new design with all unnecessary things removed. As far as what will or will not be needed, we won't really know until we get the bike in and begin preliminary design but you can bet we're going to do our best to create a low profile product that looks as well as it performs.

The L shaped bar that connects the horizontal bar with the vertical bar.  Adding it kinda makes a rectangle loop.

Offline julianm

« Reply #696 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi Ryan ,
The fork and swing arm sliders referred to were made by Topblock in France. I was hoping you may have had something similar on your range which would then make a nice complete package and simplified my logistics.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #697 on: May 02, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Hi Ryan ,
The fork and swing arm sliders referred to were made by Topblock in France. I was hoping you may have had something similar on your range which would then make a nice complete package and simplified my logistics.

Projekt D also has sliders.

http://projektd.com/index.php?cPath=27_39_40&osCsid=03f8229bdf179540faa44b59aebe0419
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #698 on: May 02, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »
Projekt D also has sliders.

http://projektd.com/index.php?cPath=27_39_40&osCsid=03f8229bdf179540faa44b59aebe0419
I think ZG said the French things are longer than the Asian things.  :-[

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #699 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
The L shaped bar that connects the horizontal bar with the vertical bar.  Adding it kinda makes a rectangle loop.

Ahhh okay I know what bar you mean. That bar had to be added to reinforce the lower horizontal bar which would have bended in towards the bike in a harder spill had we not added the upper horizontal. Also, when the bike rocks over that initial hit point, that bar is the one that keeps the mirrors and handle bars from taking a bad hit and helps hold the bike off the ground. Aside from that, I think the rectangle actually helps the bar flow with the fairings better because we bent the top of the rectangle so it flows at the same angle as the fairing vents. Lastly, I think that upper horizontal bar helps the Canyon Cage go with our small saddlebag guards as well which a lot of people use in accordance with one another.