Author Topic: Pulled the battery out yesterday.  (Read 10200 times)

Offline Conrad

Pulled the battery out yesterday.
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:52:38 AM »
So I pulled Connie's battery out yesterday just to check and make sure that the connections were clean. It's a good thing that I did. The negative terminal was a mess again. It had that powdery corrosion crap all over it and the bolt that holds battery cable to the battery terminal was showing some rust. I took it all apart and took a wire brush to everything that needed it. Once it was all cleaned up I applied some good quality contact cleaner/preservative and put her back together.

If this hasn't been done on your bike recently I would suggest you do it and make sure that your terminals are clean and tight.

Also for you guys who have your batteries installed backwards it's a good time to put em back in right. For those that don't know, the positive terminal should be facing out; some dealers installed the battery backwards during set-up. The plastic battery cover will be backwards too. It's much easier to get the battery back into its home when it's put in right.

FYI, no bolts were stripped in the process Brent!    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Pulled the battery out yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:05:37 AM »
How old is the battery?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13:49 AM »
It's the original battery.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:07 AM »
I've always thought that when a battery starts that slow downhill slide to the graveyard that it can manifest by showing acid corrosion on the terminals.  Don't know if that is true or not.  I never saw corrosion on my OEM battery but I changed it after 3 years even though it started the bike fine.  I didn't want it going out on my on my trip out west in 2010.  The only thing I've seen on mine is loose terminals.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »
The negative terminal was a mess the very first time I pulled the battery out of the bike to install the battery tender lead. The bike was less than a year old at that time. You're right though, it's getting pretty long in the tooth. I'll be keeping a close eye on it and I'll put a new battery in if it acts up at all. 

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
well done, Conrad. I did that procedure for the first time last year in March after the winter, when I took the battery out for charging before the start of the season. That "battery contact grease" is really good. This year it showed no corrosion or sulfation whatsoever. I also have the OEM battery on my '08 bike and it still runs strong. After sitting in the bike, in the garage, for 3 months with temps going in the -17°C (0°F) I put it on the trickle charger and it showed the green lamp immediately. Almost no discharge.  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
My battery is 2 years old, when i pull it out to check it I'm replacing it. Fl heat destroys them, not to mention my off roading in AZ and my riding around 112 in dallas last summer.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
well done, Conrad. I did that procedure for the first time last year in March after the winter, when I took the battery out for charging before the start of the season. That "battery contact grease" is really good. This year it showed no corrosion or sulfation whatsoever. I also have the OEM battery on my '08 bike and it still runs strong. After sitting in the bike, in the garage, for 3 months with temps going in the -17°C (0°F) I put it on the trickle charger and it showed the green lamp immediately. Almost no discharge.  :)

:thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
stock battery, purchased bike 7/07
how it looked 4/10, was fine 9/09.

cleaned it, and greased it, re-installed and it looked fine as of last fall....
IMHO the first year batt's were all questionable in the seal around the posts, as it was clear they were emitting gas in those areas to cause this.

Likely will replace it this coming spring.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
stock battery, purchased bike 7/07
how it looked 4/10, was fine 9/09.

cleaned it, and greased it, re-installed and it looked fine as of last fall....
IMHO the first year batt's were all questionable in the seal around the posts, as it was clear they were emitting gas in those areas to cause this.

Likely will replace it this coming spring.

My negative connections looked just about like this, not quite as bad though. The positive terminal and connectors were pristine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
I've always thought that when a battery starts that slow downhill slide to the graveyard that it can manifest by showing acid corrosion on the terminals.  Don't know if that is true or not.  I never saw corrosion on my OEM battery but I changed it after 3 years even though it started the bike fine.  I didn't want it going out on my on my trip out west in 2010.  The only thing I've seen on mine is loose terminals.

I tend to think like you on this, too.  However, there are other factors that can probably affect things- like how often the bike is used/started, if a charger is used or not, how the bike is stored, ambient temperatures & humidity, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
Guys,

I had to replace the original battery in my 1999 Honda 300 fourtrax last week.
The battery was 13 years old.

later,
C14-Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
I did not leave my recently departed 2005 FJR's  battery in as long C-14 did in his fourtrax. But I did decide to take it out as a precautionary measure after 6 years and 19 days of use. I credit the constant use of the battery tender plus. Imagine how pissed I was when I was going through the motions to wire up the battery tender to the 14 and I had to drill out one of the bolts that covers the battery. I have never cussed a bike with only 400 miles on it like I did this one.

All of my vehicles have the battery tender lead on them. I simply rotate the charger from one to another all the time. never had a dead battery leave me looking for the jumper cables.

Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
I did not leave my recently departed 2005 FJR's  battery in as long C-14 did in his fourtrax. But I did decide to take it out as a precautionary measure after 6 years and 19 days of use. I credit the constant use of the battery tender plus.

A quality battery tender (charger) will, indeed, extend the life of lead-acid batteries significantly by preventing sulfation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JerBear

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
It was 59 degrees today and this thread, along with the great weather, got me into doing some of this type of maintenance.  I'm glad I did it, the neg. terminal was really cruddy.  I took it all apart and cleaned it with baking soda and also cleaned under the ground where it is bolted to the frame a little gunky under there too
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 04:38:08 AM »
It was 59 degrees today and this thread, along with the great weather, got me into doing some of this type of maintenance.  I'm glad I did it, the neg. terminal was really cruddy.  I took it all apart and cleaned it with baking soda and also cleaned under the ground where it is bolted to the frame a little gunky under there too

:thumbs:

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »
A quality battery tender (charger) will, indeed, extend the life of lead-acid batteries significantly by preventing sulfation.

Most definitely.  My last bike (2000 Road Star) was still going strong on the original OEM battery in it when I sold it last summer.  Attribute that to the fact that if I knew it was going to sit for more than 48 hours I plugged it into the tender. 
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
Bought my 08 in July of 09, and I have pulled the battery 2 times to check on it. Both times everything was still tight, and had no crud on the terminals. I did of course snug up things before putting back, and I applied a dab of Belray waterproof grease to the negative post. I am a believer in the battery tenders for more than just keeping charged, they really help with extending the life too.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
I use a tender too Poke, still got the crap on the neg post.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
I don't use a battery tender and I don't get crap on the terminals.