Author Topic: Mirror mount cracking, anyone else notice?  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Cheesecake

Mirror mount cracking, anyone else notice?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
I noticed my 08 has cracks in both mirror mounts, hard to see unless you rotate the mirror out. Anyone else have this issue? The mirrors have never been subjected to any force other than 120 mph wind turbulence.
2008 C-14

Son of Pappy

Re: Mirror mount cracking, anyone else notice?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
I'll take a peak at mine.  But at last look no.

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
I recall seeing posts similar to yours before the new forum got started.  I believe it was only an 08 - 09 issue.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:51:45 AM »
The prior issue (I believe) was that the mirror(s) bracket(s) were improperly seated before the hdwr was tightened up. Which caused a crack in the mirror bracket that was located where it mated to the bike. This looks like a different issue. Take it in to your dealer to see if it's covered under warranty.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »
The pictures are so close in that I can't determine where those cracks are.  I checked my external mounts and did not see any cracks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
My right mirror looks exactly like that. My only drop was on the left side, so I'm not sure what caused it. It hasn't caused any looseness in the mirror so I wasn't too worried about it. I figured the dealer would assume I dropped it and not cover it.  :-\
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
The pictures are so close in that I can't determine where those cracks are.  I checked my external mounts and did not see any cracks.
Here's another picture.
Cracks are on both left and right mirrors, pictures are taken directly from above. I flipped the mirror out so you can see it better--you have to look behind the mirror or flip it out to see it.
2008 C-14

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
Just checked the 09 C14, no problem here.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »
Here's another picture.
Cracks are on both left and right mirrors, pictures are taken directly from above. I flipped the mirror out so you can see it better--you have to look behind the mirror or flip it out to see it.

Thanks, that's where I thought they were but wanted to make sure.  No problems with mine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
If the dealer tries to deny a warranty claim saying you may have dropped the bike, point out that the crack is on top.  If anything, it looks like someone would have to push down on the top side of the mirrors to do that.

Either way, body work has been covered before by warranty, so that's where I would start.  Good luck.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
I noticed my 08 has cracks in both mirror mounts, hard to see unless you rotate the mirror out. Anyone else have this issue? The mirrors have never been subjected to any force other than 120 mph wind turbulence.

i do not have the problem, but YES, there were reports of a few cases of this exact same instance on 08, and I believe early 09 bikes.
They were completely repaired thru warranty at the time of thier reports,If you have warranty GTPP I suggest getting them to replace these, it is not a result of abuse, it's a flaw in the moulded plastic internally, and has been documented.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mahd776

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »
Checked my 2008 and found no cracks.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »
No cracks to report on mine. Unless they're about invisible.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline W14

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
No cracks on my 09

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:06 AM »
No cracks to report on mine. Unless they're about invisible.

That would be a near invisible crackpot.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
If the dealer tries to deny a warranty claim saying you may have dropped the bike, point out that the crack is on top.  If anything, it looks like someone would have to push down on the top side of the mirrors to do that.

Either way, body work has been covered before by warranty, so that's where I would start.  Good luck.

Good point, the cracks would be on bottom. To the dealer I go.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
both my 08s are cracked

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
Has anyone had their cracked mirrors replaced un warranty. My dealer just informed me that Kawasaki rejected my claim for both my cracked mirrors. Needless to say Im not real pleased with Kawasaki at this point.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »
Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5 and then give them an ear full....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:14 AM »
Has anyone had their cracked mirrors replaced un warranty. My dealer just informed me that Kawasaki rejected my claim for both my cracked mirrors. Needless to say Im not real pleased with Kawasaki at this point.

I'm surprised that they wouldn't replace your mirrors. My right mirror was replaced under warranty because the mirror glass was lose and vibrated a bit. I even got to keep the old mirror.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn