Author Topic: 2012 C14 blew water pump at 3k MILES  (Read 4705 times)

Offline santeejd

2012 C14 blew water pump at 3k MILES
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
 >:(  Always smelled coolant from day one. Took to stealership several times and they said it was normal. Bike always ran 3/4 scale with fans running. (my FJR fans in 55K miles only kicked on one time during a 110 degree stop and go) . notice drops of coolant under bike.  Water pump was green and raditor hose leaking at cooler. Sight glass showed condensation with a white topper and over filled. Couldn't get them to acknowledge sight glass issue. So told them to do a service.  Dealer said water pump was bad. Bike never over heated. They charged me 220 for labor oil  service, seals and oil. I question why a brand new bike under warranty I would have to pay labor to change the oil. Was told warranty only covers part. all oils and gaskets not cover. Still not sure why I had to pay labor when the oil would dump with the water pump change. Think I will wait and month for paperwork to hit kawasaki and talk to them on issue. Miss my FJR ,55K miles and never a issue. Just wish it had a sixth gear.
Question is does all C14 run 3/4 scale with fans on even in 60 degree weather? Expect coolant problems on my 400 HP V8 bike. but not a metric bike.
thx
JD
1974 GT750 Lemans (water buffalo) 7K
 1998 Kannon V8 ZZ4
 2012 Concours 14 50 miles

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: 2012 C14 blew water pump at 3k MILES
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
I'm sorry, but I call B.S.!  I'm mad just thinking what you had to go through when you talking to the service advisor.  Talk to the service manager, owner, Kawasaki customer care.  Don't stop until you made Kawasaki pay for this repair.

To answer your question, in Washington State, my fan on the bike runs 50% of the time.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »
Hopefully Kawasaki will make it right.  You definitely shouldn't have had to pay a dime. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jsa

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
Water pump was green and raditor hose leaking at cooler. Sight glass showed condensation with a white topper and over filled. Couldn't get them to acknowledge sight glass issue.

Are you saying that you had coolant in the oil?  If so then you have a bigger problem than the water pump.

Offline santeejd

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
Exactly! Normal my ...
1974 GT750 Lemans (water buffalo) 7K
 1998 Kannon V8 ZZ4
 2012 Concours 14 50 miles

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
Are you saying that you had coolant in the oil?  If so then you have a bigger problem than the water pump.
+1 That's a much more serious issue.. blown head gasket perhaps.. something major at least. And my fans will kick on in cooler weather if I've been running a bit more spirited, and in the heat at slower speeds (08).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
>:(  Always smelled coolant from day one. Took to stealership several times and they said it was normal. Bike always ran 3/4 scale with fans running. (my FJR fans in 55K miles only kicked on one time during a 110 degree stop and go) . notice drops of coolant under bike.  Water pump was green and raditor hose leaking at cooler. Sight glass showed condensation with a white topper and over filled. Couldn't get them to acknowledge sight glass issue. So told them to do a service.  Dealer said water pump was bad. Bike never over heated. They charged me 220 for labor oil  service, seals and oil. I question why a brand new bike under warranty I would have to pay labor to change the oil. Was told warranty only covers part. all oils and gaskets not cover. Still not sure why I had to pay labor when the oil would dump with the water pump change. Think I will wait and month for paperwork to hit kawasaki and talk to them on issue.

Your dealer is scamming you.  The warranty covers all the labor and parts to repair a defect such as you mentioned.  You DO have to pay for an oil change (parts and labor), if it needed ROUTINE changing, but not if had to be replaced due to some warranty issue.  If you had something wrong in there and the oil was fouled because of it, you certainly do NOT have to pay at all.

I will add that when I first got my Concours, it was leaking coolant slightly from two places, I took it in and they said it just wasn't tight, and I have not had an issue since (almost a year).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Question is does all C14 run 3/4 scale with fans on even in 60 degree weather? Expect coolant problems on my 400 HP V8 bike. but not a metric bike.
thx
JD

Mine doesn't when moving.  If stopped for any length of time it will.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »
>:(  Always smelled coolant from day one.......
charged me 220 for labor oil  service, seals and oil. ....Think I will wait and month for paperwork to hit kawasaki and talk to them on issue. ........

DO NOT WAIT....
Contact them immediatly, and demand payment / refund of your money.
This is clearly a warranty issue, the failure caused the oil contamination, therefore all the fluids, the oil filter, and labor....and even the "harzardous disposal" fee for the drained fluids, is ALL covered by the Kawasaki factory warranty.

Do NOT allow them to get away with this, it is simply another knick in the integrety of the "dealer code of honesty".

They were completly re-imbursed from Kawasaki, for every penny that it cost to do that repair. ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline southern_rocker_19

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Seems my 10 runs with about one bar for temp on the highway and little hotter in traffic, etc. 

Seems nature of the beast on how hot it runs in certain conditions.

Classic dealer scam, I've seen the same thing for cars where I had the head gasket changed. Really gets the dealers attention when one raises a fuss in the waiting room around other customers.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
Mine doesn't when moving.  If stopped for any length of time it will.

I am not sure I would be able to hear/know if the electric fans were on while I was moving at any reasonable speed.  I assume they doesn't, because there should be no need for it.  Once the bike is moving (at more than something like 10MPH), I am sure it gets MUCH more airflow than the little fans could ever provide.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KawiG

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
Dealer's gotta top off the coolant! seems we heard this before!
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Think I smell a dirty rat??Sorry Kirby.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010