Author Topic: Which MRA Vario spoiler?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline galaxieman

Which MRA Vario spoiler?
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
I've seen some posts where guys are running the MRA screens with the Vario spoiler, or the CeeBailey's with the Vario spoiler... Anyone have an '09 touring / 10+ stock (Kawasaki tall?) windshield with the MRA Vario spoiler, and if so, which shape?    The variable angle of the MRA makes the most sense to me, but since they won't take them back after they come out of the packaging, I was wondering if someone already knows which shape fits the stock tall shield.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline CrashGordon

Re: Which MRA Vario spoiler?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »
I bought the X-creen. It is more of a universal spoiler made by MRA and you can get it in a bolt on or a clamp on style (the clamp on comes with the hardware for either installation). It works great. I have it on a V-stream, but it will fit the Kawi tall screen with no problem. I have mine clamped on, but I'm thinking about drilling my screen and bolting it on to get rid of the larger clamps.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Crash -
How much difference did the X-Screen make? I'm currently using a V-Stream and it just isn't quite enough to get the airstream up and over my helmet. Still get a lot of wind noise even in the full up position. I'm 6' tall, but due to back problems I ride in a fairly upright position, and I have 1.75" bar risers. If I crouch down just a couple of inches - nice and quiet. I'm thinking about trying the X-Screen as well, but at $140 it's definitely not a cheap experiment if it doesn't help much.

Thanks,
Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
I have the stock '10 windshield with a MRA extension spoiler. I was undecided between the MRA VTA 6 and the MRA VTA 3. I ended
up going with the MRA VTA 6.  It does what I wanted which is to give me a little extra protection in the up position in the rain.
I'm still not sure if I purchased the correct one but it works. The only reason I doubt my selection is the very noticeable difference
in the curve (horizontal left to right) difference. The spoiler has more curve than the windshield and I wonder if it would flow better
if the two were more in parallel.  Perhaps I should have called Twisted Throttle for their advice, but I didn't thinking that they would
just try to sell me a windshield. I might not have been fair to them in my thinking. I'll edit this post later with a picture to illustrate
what I'm referring to with the curve difference.

(some slightly off topic verbiage begins here) I'm only 5'6" and I'm mostly happy with what I have, but in the full up position there
is still too much back pressure pushing my head forward and down. Plenty of weather protection and no buffeting. I've been planning to cut a Calsi type opening in my stock shield to see if it will help, but I keep hoping someone else will do it to theirs first. I think it's supposed to relieve the back pressure and actually flow upwards but it just looks to me as though my chest or my tank bag would get pounded with water when riding with the shield up in the rain.

(edit{pardon the bugs and dirt}) Spoiler lowered:

spoiler raised:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:35:59 PM by fartymarty »

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »
 :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.