Author Topic: Brake line replacement  (Read 7377 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Brake line replacement
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
So I got a Galfer Brake line and clutch cable set and was wondering how difficult it is to install?  Dealer says because it is an ABS model it is more difficult to bleed and it will be about $400 in labor.  Seems steep to me at first glance...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Brake line replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
It is difficult to refill and bleed when dry according to what's been reported here... 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
400 is  a lot of labor money.  I've not ran my system dry, but did complexly change the fluid.  Its not any  different than dealing with any other system.

Changing lines is easy but dirty. The brake fluid will eat the paint on your bike, so be advised.   The secret is not to tighten the lines up when they are dry.  If you do, there is so much air in the lines the mc wont push it all out.

I start by removing the lines I am going to change, being very careful with the dripping fluid.  Place the new lines, with new crush washers into position, but dont fully tighten them.  You then fill the master cylinder, pump it gently, and tighten the next fitting in the system  once fluid starts dripping out. You can also get a Mity Vac  http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp

This makes the job simple as it will allow you to suck the air and fluid out of the bottom on the caliper while the lines are tight...no mess.  I've never bothered to get one, but they rock.

ABS systems can be tough to bleed if they  have hidden reservoirs, but I dont think the c14 does. Unless I am missing something, 400 sounds leke its about twice what the cost should be.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
I installed front Goodrich lines on my non ABS and filled and bled with the Motion Pro Bleeder in 40 minutes. For me it worked much better than Mity Vac or Speed Bleeders.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143
ABS and linked brakeswill no doubt be harder to do.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:25:03 AM »
So I got a Galfer Brake line and clutch cable set and was wondering how difficult it is to install?  Dealer says because it is an ABS model it is more difficult to bleed and it will be about $400 in labor.  Seems steep to me at first glance...

Installing the Galfers was a piece of cake.  I did the rear and front with no drama, and I'm a novice, with no experience to speak of.  Probably the hardest part was bleeding, but doable.  rear was easier, maybe do that one first to build your confidence a bit.
Will

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:06:26 AM »
Did you buy the parts from the same dealer? They normally do not like to install parts that were sold by someone else. Maybe why he's charging about double what the labor should cost. Some dealers refuse outright to install other peoples parts. 

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »
I looked at the brake lines on my own 2008 abs model and there is highpoint special abotu routing or anythign else. I coudl get rich changing these for 400.00. Actually, many of the lines are braided stainless anyway so I would love to see a pic of the kit.

BUT, could his dealer be talking about a 2010 or newer c14 with linked brakes? I imagine their being  a line connecting front to rear, right? Or is this done electronically? 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
never had any luck with the mighty vac on replacement lines, it simply wont evacuate the line of air to start drawing fluid, unless you pull the bleeder and apply teflon tape to them, which I caution against as that crap migrates...not good.
 but I have done new install at the caliper,left the top fitting loose and wrapped in a rag, and back filled the lines using a large syringe filled with fluid, and pumped in thru bleeder.... that works the best of all.

all I use for bleeding is this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man-brake-bleeder-kit-37201.html

put an ounce of clean fluid in the bottle, and go to town.

or, do like the video, which is how my dad tought me to do it, and worked for 40 years till I got the plastic bottle rig.

http://youtu.be/UvyztDFHhaY

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »
Why replace something that works really well? :feedback:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

Looks is one reason, longevity I think would be another... I run braided lines on all my other bikes and they do have a better feel to them because they don't expand/flex like stock lines. I haven't done them yet for my Connie mostly because with ABS and all the connections etc it would not only be really spendy and a pain but not sure if it would help any performance?? I always run Spiegler kits for other bikes, quality product, but even they don't make a kit for the C14 yet.  :-\

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
+1
This is one farkle I won't be doing. First of all, replacement brake lines are never exactly like the original--typically you double up two banjos on the master cylinder then you have two lines running down the front forks instead of one. The extra one is rubbing on stuff when you turn. Plus the two lines are rubbing paint off your fender. Usually the installer over torques the aluminum bolts you get with the new lines, to replace the perfectly good steel bolts you removed. So you might have a over stressed aluminum bolt ready to shear off when you are giving it the hardest braking--which would be the worst time for the brakes to fail. 
2008 C-14

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »
Installing the Galfers was a piece of cake.  I did the rear and front with no drama, and I'm a novice, with no experience to speak of.  Probably the hardest part was bleeding, but doable.  rear was easier, maybe do that one first to build your confidence a bit.

Is yours a ABS model?  I spoke to tech at dealer today and he said ABS makes the job more difficult.  Said book calls for over 5 hours of labor...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
+1
This is one farkle I won't be doing. First of all, replacement brake lines are never exactly like the original--typically you double up two banjos on the master cylinder then you have two lines running down the front forks instead of one. The extra one is rubbing on stuff when you turn. Plus the two lines are rubbing paint off your fender. Usually the installer over torques the aluminum bolts you get with the new lines, to replace the perfectly good steel bolts you removed. So you might have a over stressed aluminum bolt ready to shear off when you are giving it the hardest braking--which would be the worst time for the brakes to fail.

Sounds like you've had some bad experiences BE, not sure what brand lines you've ran or who your tech that's doing the routing is but trust me in that the quality of the Spiegler line kits are A+ and I've never had any issues with fit or rubbing on bodywork on any of my other bikes bro... 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:43:20 PM by ZG »

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
Is yours a ABS model?  I spoke to tech at dealer today and he said ABS makes the job more difficult.  Said book calls for over 5 hours of labor...

yup. didn't clock it, but worked on it a bit over time, as i was doing my 15K maintenance.  5 hours seems a little high...going over it in my head, having done it once, I could imagine 2.  of course my tupperware was off already on the right side.
Will