Author Topic: Flyectomy  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Sea Level

Flyectomy
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
While my 2011 is in the shop for winter storage and a few minor maintenance items, I am having them remove the secondary flies and put in a PC.

Here is my question: how excited should I be?    ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Flyectomy
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »
That depends on how much you trust your shop to not break a screw head off, drop a screw down the throttle body or not bend the shaft. ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
Depends on what full exhaust you're running, hopefully not still using the potato launcher or you'll probably not notice much difference at all...  :'(

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
Even with a stock exhaust you will notice a pretty good difference............at least I did.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
If having an extra 12ft/lb or so of torque available to you from about 2-5k and better throttle response sounds good to you, then you should be excited.  :)  It will definitely make a difference.  It's not a mind-blowing upgrade like adding a full exhaust system will be, but it's good cheap fun.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline marku8a

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
That depends on how much you trust your shop to not break a screw head off, drop a screw down the throttle body or not bend the shaft. ;)

I did it myself using the right JIS #2 screw driver. Piece of cake.

Depends on what full exhaust you're running, hopefully not still using the potato launcher or you'll probably not notice much difference at all...  :'(

Agreed. Same for me. Not a big difference but noticeable and would recommend it anyway.

Changing out the whole exhaust in a few weeks to see about the whole result.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
I installed my full Muzzy's system about 10 months after I pulled my flies and it made quite a difference.  I also added an AutoTune the same time as the exhaust so that might account for a little of the extra kick in the pants.  Next time I find a dyno operater that will accept anything beside a Harley I will get some numbers to try and quantify the gain.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
We can look forward to your impression,  I liked the increase in power don lo, I also like the new found torque down low, I was able to run on gear up at a lower rpm,  As far as farkle nechanics this is the best todate, every other powa adder builds fro here,  easch step provides just a tick more, once you have the total package it all comes together and the words I would use is wickedly smoothe..  It's all undoable, easily, and if you find things not to you liking just put em back.  I dont think those flies will occipie the TBs, they will be in a baggyhabging in the swap wall.

Just do it!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »

Party pooper!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
This is my second bike bought and serviced from the shop I use. They are very competent and trustworthy, for which they charge a premium compared to other area shops, and for which I am willing to pay. I don't really care who works on my car, but the bike and plane are totally different animals.

To answer an earlier question, I still have the stock exhaust on the Connie. I was disappointed to hear that the flyectomy won't be as exciting because of that, and I am thinking about having the shop switch me over to an Area P or other tuned exhaust while they have it. The only problem is I'm having a difficult time finding the line I have to draw between gaining performance and leaving enough money behind to go out to dinner now and then.   8)

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
Update: y'all convinced me that without the exhaust I wasn't going to be satisfied with the flyectomy and PC, so I went ahead and had a 2 Brothers slip-on installed as well. Between all that and the brand new PR3's, I am thinking that I should experience a difference....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »
What/whose map have you got in the PC?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
Update: y'all convinced me that without the exhaust I wasn't going to be satisfied with the flyectomy and PC, so I went ahead and had a 2 Brothers slip-on installed as well. Between all that and the brand new PR3's, I am thinking that I should experience a difference....

I don't think any slip on will make a difference in power compared to the stock can. The restriction is not in the muffler; it is in the header pipes. Do a search here and you can find pictures of stock vs the pipes on the area p- area p pipes are huge! Before anyone chimes and says that small pipes increase tq, keep in mind that no  one with these pipes is complaining about lost tq. Pipe size should get bigger as the motor gets bigger, with that in mind, the pipes on my GSX 1100 are bigger, hell, I think the header pipes on my old GS 550e were bigger!
I won't get a tune on my bike until I have at least an aftermarket full exhaust on it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
I don't think any slip on will make a difference in power compared to the stock can. The restriction is not in the muffler; it is in the header pipes. Do a search here and you can find pictures of stock vs the pipes on the area p- area p pipes are huge! Before anyone chimes and says that small pipes increase tq, keep in mind that no  one with these pipes is complaining about lost tq. Pipe size should get bigger as the motor gets bigger, with that in mind, the pipes on my GSX 1100 are bigger, hell, I think the header pipes on my old GS 550e were bigger!
I won't get a tune on my bike until I have at least an aftermarket full exhaust on it.

:goodpost:    +1, I agree with the Katman...

The big difference is when you go to a full system, I ran a Muzzys slip-on for awhile before I got my full system and there wasn't much difference at all if any between hp with a slip-on and stock hp...

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
My Leo Vince slip on runs about the same as the stock muffler.  It does look slightly better, but no performance difference.  However, the flies out are still amazing.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

Contrary to what others have said, a slip-on WILL make a noticeable difference vs. the stock pipe with the flies removed. Go to FuelMoto's site here: http://fuelmotousa.com/2008_kawasaki_zg1400_concours.htm to lok over the dyno results of various configurations. A nice bump and a good upgrade.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »
Contrary to what others have said, a slip-on WILL make a noticeable difference vs. the stock pipe with the flies removed. Go to FuelMoto's site here: http://fuelmotousa.com/2008_kawasaki_zg1400_concours.htm to lok over the dyno results of various configurations. A nice bump and a good upgrade.

The graphs don't prove squat- it shows that a stock bike with an aftermarket tune makes less power than a stock bike with an aftermarket tune, slipon AND FLIES REMOVED!
Unless that stock bike with aftermarket tuning also has its flies removed, you can't make a comparison.
Over at Holeshot performance, there is a graph showing a stock bike with stock can vs stock bike with Holeshot slipon and a tune. I think the gain was 6hp. How much gain was from the slipon, how much from the tune? The fact that you don't need a tune for a slipon implies that the exhaust flow is barely altered, if at all.
Putting on a slipon to get more power makes as much sense as a fat chick thinking she can improve her chances of getting laid by painting her toenails- the elephant in the kitchen is the narrow header pipes. And, if you didn't get the fat chick analogy, she needs to drop 100 lbs!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
The graphs don't prove squat- it shows that a stock bike with an aftermarket tune makes less power than a stock bike with an aftermarket tune, slipon AND FLIES REMOVED!
Unless that stock bike with aftermarket tuning also has its flies removed, you can't make a comparison.
Over at Holeshot performance, there is a graph showing a stock bike with stock can vs stock bike with Holeshot slipon and a tune. I think the gain was 6hp. How much gain was from the slipon, how much from the tune? The fact that you don't need a tune for a slipon implies that the exhaust flow is barely altered, if at all.
Putting on a slipon to get more power makes as much sense as a fat chick thinking she can improve her chances of getting laid by painting her toenails- the elephant in the kitchen is the narrow header pipes. And, if you didn't get the fat chick analogy, she needs to drop 100 lbs!

:o  What color nail pollish??  :-\

If it's red she could improve her chances with some after many beers...  ;)

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
An alternative is to keep the flies (which are a component of traction control in 2010 and later bikes) and get the ECU reflashed.  There are many postings on this site and the COG site that tout the advantages of ECU reflashing, especially for 2010+ bikes (my 2010 is very happy with its Guhl reflash).

2010 C14 ABS

Offline katata1100

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
An alternative is to keep the flies (which are a component of traction control in 2010 and later bikes) and get the ECU reflashed.  There are many postings on this site and the COG site that tout the advantages of ECU reflashing, especially for 2010+ bikes (my 2010 is very happy with its Guhl reflash).
These people have dealers that flash their software. Anyone tried them?
http://ecunleashed.com/motorcycle-com-2011-zx10r-ecu-tuning-flash/