Author Topic: Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Jaz

Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
Bought 2010 used @4000 miles from a dealer ; changed oil once got home ; oil was clean though.

Now with 4500 Miles. Noticed that when in 2nd gear , it makes rattling sound as if something is loose in a can .. also if I keep the throttle constant or rpm constant I dont hear it, hear that only when accelerating or slowing in 2nd gear. I have started to skip the 2nd gear.
Also 2nd gear noise is prominent when I have ear plugs on since it stops other noises. Also noise existed before my oil change.

Any advice to what could be happening and if its a simple fix ; how to get dealer to take care of this under warranty.
Bike is fine in all other gears ; gets great Mileage ; oil used is in spec .

Update : Just tried running it on centre stand(side stand up) and changing gears 1,2,3 couple times; no weird noise whatsoever(although dash showed kipass error ) ; tried riding it around the block , hear the same noise as explained earlier in 2nd gear again . so weird noise is present when bike is moving in 2nd gear, absent when running it on 2nd gear with bike lifted on centre stand ... any thoughts , suggestions ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:59:03 PM by Jaz »

Flathead

Re: Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
You can update the warranty/ownership change info yourself here: https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerInfo/ownerSupportForm.aspx You don't need to wait for the dealer...

No clue on the noise, sorry  ;)

Offline Z71

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
You probably found the reason why the bike was traded in with 4k miles on it.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
The dealer must not want the warranty money.  They must be allergic to work or are scared to work on the transmission.  Good luck and hopefully your can get this taken care of without missing to much riding weather.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Z71

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
No doubt some dealers have tearing down transmissions.  It would be a lot easier if Kawasaki would just authorize transmission replacement, but the dealer must first show extensive damage by taking it apart.

Offline Jaz

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »
Thank you all.

- Warrant transfered.
- Time to take it to dealership , hope dealer accepts it and kawasaki covers for it and I get that back on time.
- Read the manual to get to transmission gears ; needs complete engine teardown , just increases the odds of another screwup.

Will update the post with details as things progress.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
Sounds like it could be similar damage as what mine is in the shop for right now. Mine was in 3rd gear. Somehow my shifter fork was bent and ruined my gears during a shift from 3rd to 4th. It's covered under warranty but has been almost 2 months and still in the shop. Good luck!
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Sounds like it could be similar damage as what mine is in the shop for right now. Mine was in 3rd gear. Somehow my shifter fork was bent and ruined my gears during a shift from 3rd to 4th. It's covered under warranty but has been almost 2 months and still in the shop. Good luck!

:yikes:

Wow, that really sucks man, why so long?? Waiting on some unobtanium part from Japan??  ???

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »

:yikes:

Wow, that really sucks man, why so long?? Waiting on some unobtanium part from Japan??  ???
You bet! They said at least 2 more weeks for delivery of the parts they didn't get from the first order.  >:(
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Jaz

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
Update are due:

First dealership visit and kawasaki support details.

Dealership
- Took the bike, they drove around and acknowledged the noise
- Mechanic was very helpful and said its normal that noise comes in some gears , gave me some harley examples etc etc
- Mechanic told the dealer customer rep to jot down the points to discuss with Kawasaki tech.
  : Noise in second gear
  : Noise under load only, no noise when on center stand and running in 2nd gear
  : No power loss due to noise
- dealer customer rep says he will chat with kawasaki tech and let me know the outcome
- dealer customer rep email me the case id, verifying that he talked to kawasaki tech and there is no know problem related to gear noise.
- I call the kawasaki customer support and reference the case number, rep says that dealer had mentioned that customer complained about noise in 2nd gear and there mechanic did not notice any powerloss.
- So, the dealer rep did not acknowledge that there was noise coming in 2nd gear and no noise when bike was on center stand and 2nd gear.
- Also dealer rep said that since I have logged the issue and in future if things break up due to the above issue they will fix it at no cost even if its out of warranty.
- So I kept riding ......( put on 600 miles )

Yesterday
- Never taken passenger on it, took my wife for ride yesterday. Noticed that with more load on the bike the noise in 2nd gear was almost 50% more than before ( 1 person load , just me )
- Also pulling the clutch in when in 2nd gear, the noise goes away.... engage the clutch and noise comes back ....

Question : what should be next step..
- take it back to dealer and explain new findings, hopefully they will look at it.
- If dealer refuses, take the bike down to kawasaki HQ in southern CA and have them look at it ( may not be possible )
- find out who the local regional rep is for kawasaki , see if he can help

Please advice

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
Wow.  Thinking out loud here, I wouldnt want to ride any distance with that worry hanging over my head.  I think I would try to induce a failure, maybe some hard launches in second?  If it doesn't break and/or the noise doesn't get worse I'd ride it local, if it gets worse or breaks take it back to get fixed.  BTW, not talking fraud, just a way to expedite what will eventually/probably fail in the location of your choosing.

Offline pcaddict66

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
I would tell the rep that if they don't do something now, a failure of a tranny component could cause a horrible motorcycle accident and that you will hold him personally liable, as well as Kawasaki USA and the dealer. That will certainly get the wheels turning to a repair.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
I would tell the rep that if they don't do something now, a failure of a tranny component could cause a horrible motorcycle accident and that you will hold him personally liable, as well as Kawasaki USA and the dealer. That will certainly get the wheels turning to a repair.

I like that one best... sounds like something I'd do :)

Offline Jaz

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
Update : Bike is at the dealer. Approx time to get it fixed 10 days+/-. No Questions asked this time. Service rep was very helpful. He also mentioned that someone had 3rd gear chipped and luckily the piece fell to the bottom or crankcase and did not cause any other problems.

Dealer will get back to me once problem is identified by tech. Will keep all posted of progress.

Offline Jaz

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »
Updates and Timeline:

4/21 : Bike at dealer
4/22 --> 5/9 : Few techs rode the bike and no one heard the 2nd gear noise. ( Although during my first visit the tech did acknowledge the noise )
5/9   : Another tech with lots of experience rides it and did confirm the noise and his assumption is that there might be a crack in the gear. Dealer called kawasaki and they said to check for other signs of noise, drive shaft etc etc. Dealer asks me if its ok to open up and if they find problem kawasaki will cover it and if not it would be from my pocket. I authorized them to move on and open up the bike.
5/10 : Dealer service rep call me and says they found the problem. The 2nd gear metal layer seems to be coming off (no cracks though). So they will be replacing 2nd gear and shifter gear. Kawasaki will cover it. estimate given to get back the bike is 5/19 , if there is no parts backlog.

It would be 4 weeks if I get the bike on 5/19.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
Can you get pics of the flaking gear?

Offline Jaz

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
Yes will take pictures of the gear when picking up the bike. Already asked the rep that I want to see the gear.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
thanks

Offline CitrusC14

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
Funny to hear they told you about someone else with a third gear problem.  When my 2011 had about 3400 miles on it, my third gear broke apart.  It took the dealer almost 6 weeks to get my bike back due to waiting on the gear to come in from Japan.  About the same time as mine, there was another member on  \the board with a second gear issue who also had a long wait.

Good luck with your repairs and hopefully your parts are all stateside now.

Tim

Offline Jaz

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
Update : got the bike back

- 2nd and 6th gears were changed. Gears were wearing out, causing freeplay which led to the noise.
- Attaching the pictures. Will also scan and attach the parts list that went on the bike.(later).
- Also noticed that they did not put back the fairing properly on both sides ( its not sitting in proper grooves )
- The idealing adjustment screw is off its location ( they wired that out from top of rubber insulation and its sitting right on top of my gear shifter)
- Also the coolant over flow hose seems to be in wrong place( hanging too loo - almost touching the ground and I think it should be routed in different place - not sure about this, will check other bikes and confirm)
- Also planning to remove the fairing and put it back properly. when fairing is out will inspect other things underneath it.
- Gear shifting seems to be bit tighter, require more effort ( may be its just me since havent ridden the bike for few weeks )
- Also the rubber insulation from engine heat at the right foot just came off(hanging). Again it was not put back in place properly.
- Please check the attached pictures. one of the gears you can see where metal is chipping off and its formed a kind of groove. In the longer run it would have broken.