Author Topic: Kid knows how to corner his C14?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline coastalconnie

Kid knows how to corner his C14?
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
I guess it is the only cloverleaf ramp in his area but still looks crazy.http://youtu.be/8meexuoFka4If he chooses to ride like this I'd invest in more safety gear.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:56:54 PM by coastalconnie »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: Kid knows how to corner his C14
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
that's one way to even out the normal left side tire wear....
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Excavator

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
Hey Tony, yeah the jeans won't prevent much dammage, looks like he's had a lot of practice though.

How you guys doing down there? Any snow yet?  ;D

Glynn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
I've seen his videos on Facebook Concours 14 Enthusiasts. 
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Well, he is making the number one mistake we see during our twice a year advanced street skills at Pacific Raceways.  He is counter balancing his counter balance.  Hips and knee pops out, head and shoulders stay above the bike.  All he is doing is an internal feel good move, one that requires the bike to lean far further than it needs to, which in turn makes the suspension really fail/not perform as it is designed to.  If a bike is leaning that hard and the riders weight is up top, where are the linear forces being transfered to?  Stiction is a funny word, but it is used all the time when suspension tuning is mentioned, so I'll use it here.  Did this rider increase or decrease the stiction on this rolling bike?
He has the ability to operate his bike, but I wouldnt call him a rider just yet, he needs to study his own film, read a few books, take a performance based class and then refilm the ride, he'd see a big differance, as well as be much smoother and quicker on that clover leaf ;D
Quick pointer, shoulders should stay squared with the riders hips, face should be into, or in our case above the mirror (not like your leaning forward out and over, but in line and slightly higher).  Shoulders movement is more valuable then hip movement, yet it seems that hip movement always happens first.  Keep yer seat planted, try moving your shoulders out and forward, keep you arms relaxed, keep a fairly relaxed grip as well, not much muscle is required if the technique is used properly.  The muscles that should be the most tired at the end of the session are you leg muscles.  Try it on the streets, use body weight to help with your turns, keep the knees tucked in and enjoy!

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »
+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:48:07 AM by DenverC-14 »

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:17:40 AM »
Knee down with jeans is probably not a great idea.  It is hard on your knees of a puck touches down on something uneven, let alone .020" of woven cotton.  At least he is practicing something better than burn outs, wheelies and stoppies.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:39 AM »
Well, he is making the number one mistake we see during our twice a year advanced street skills at Pacific Raceways.  He is counter balancing his counter balance.  Hips and knee pops out, head and shoulders stay above the bike.  All he is doing is an internal feel good move, one that requires the bike to lean far further than it needs to, which in turn makes the suspension really fail/not perform as it is designed to.  If a bike is leaning that hard and the riders weight is up top, where are the linear forces being transfered to?  Stiction is a funny word, but it is used all the time when suspension tuning is mentioned, so I'll use it here.  Did this rider increase or decrease the stiction on this rolling bike?
He has the ability to operate his bike, but I wouldnt call him a rider just yet, he needs to study his own film, read a few books, take a performance based class and then refilm the ride, he'd see a big differance, as well as be much smoother and quicker on that clover leaf ;D
Quick pointer, shoulders should stay squared with the riders hips, face should be into, or in our case above the mirror (not like your leaning forward out and over, but in line and slightly higher).  Shoulders movement is more valuable then hip movement, yet it seems that hip movement always happens first.  Keep yer seat planted, try moving your shoulders out and forward, keep you arms relaxed, keep a fairly relaxed grip as well, not much muscle is required if the technique is used properly.  The muscles that should be the most tired at the end of the session are you leg muscles.  Try it on the streets, use body weight to help with your turns, keep the knees tucked in and enjoy!

+1, He's working against the bike for sure!  Thats 99% of the sport-tourers we see around the mountains of TN/NC/VA/WV. They all like to hang off the side but their upper body is clinging to the wrong place entirely.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
Wow, talk about a boring video.  I had to stop about halfway.  That being said, I think practising your cornering skills on freeway ramps isn't a bad idea.  After going around them to make sure there isn't debris or bad pavement, you can push it a little bit further than normal.  Of course, if you're doing it wrong, like this guy, maybe it's not such a great idea.

Offline dgshaffer

• Don Shaffer
    • My photos
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
I've ridden with guys like that and it's actually entertaining. They seem to be trying to mock what they've seen on TV without the benefit of proper instruction or track time. I have a feeling that they are afraid to get their head close to the ground so the back it up. Bend that inside elbow!
Don Shaffer
2011 Connie, Blazing Black!, 2009 BMW K1300GT,
2007 Triumph Bonneville America
My Photos

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
I see new jeans, a trip to the ER, new Right Side plastics, a new handlebar, and some other various parts and such in his future.....maybe he has already asked Santa for this stuff and has good health insurance

You just can't fight inertia and gravity in that riding position at that speed as SOP said......
 and when he hits one of those drain grates with the front....it's a new version of Slip and Slide
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
What happens if he has to turn left some day???
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Run the clover leaf backwards.

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
Saw something similar Saturday.  I catch up to this guy and his 2 buds on sport bikes.  He was dressed similarly to the guy in the video.  They were being held up by a slower cage.  He keeps looking back at me, for what, I have no clue.  We hit a series of downhill esses, and he slows down to put some distance between him and his buds,  then accelerates to hit the curves. These curves are more what I'd call kinks, you can go from yellow line to white line to yellow line with just a couple small flicks of the bike, close to not needing to lean or steer through them at all.  He sticks out his knee and slides his arse off the seat, leaving his upper body exactly where it was and doesn't lean the bike at all.  After he completed his feat, he looked back at me again.  Maybe he was looking to see how well he smoked me, but he may have been shocked to see that I was right where I was before we hit the esses, right behind him.  I know this road well, and can run this section easily at 70+, I don't think we hit 45.  ;D

Offline coastalconnie

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
Hey Tony, yeah the jeans won't prevent much dammage, looks like he's had a lot of practice though.

How you guys doing down there? Any snow yet?  ;D

Glynn

Hey Glynn, yeah it's a bitter cold 72 degrees down here in Coastal Texas ;D See ya next June.
Tony

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
I'd deffo pass him on the outside and check out. What a newb. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I think he was lost...or maybe it was like the movie Summer Vacation where Chevy Chase is stuck in a traffic circle forever
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »
I think he was lost...or maybe it was like the movie Summer Vacation where Chevy Chase is stuck in a traffic circle forever

Now that's funny!  :rotflmao:

(it was actually "European Vacation" though)

Offline dgshaffer

• Don Shaffer
    • My photos
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:48 AM »
You have to feel bad for the guy in a way. He goes out and spends all that money and time for a camera setup and this is all he's got to record.
Don Shaffer
2011 Connie, Blazing Black!, 2009 BMW K1300GT,
2007 Triumph Bonneville America
My Photos

Offline booger

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
Run the clover leaf backwards.

No reverse on my C-14 ???