Author Topic: What to do with your GPS when parked in public?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline marku8a

What to do with your GPS when parked in public?
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »
So I am ready to take along a GPS unit on the bike. I like the Techmount but worry about having the GPS permanently mounted. It looks like a big "Take me" temptation for thieves.

Any thoughts about a quick disconnect to stash the GPS in one of the bags while away or do you just not worry about it?

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What to do with your GPS when parked in public?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
So I am ready to take along a GPS unit on the bike. I like the Techmount but worry about having the GPS permanently mounted. It looks like a big "Take me" temptation for thieves.

Any thoughts about a quick disconnect to stash the GPS in one of the bags while away or do you just not worry about it?

Mine is older so I don't care about it as much as I used to, now.  When the bike is at home and in the Cycle Shell, I just leave it mounted and on the bike.  When I am out, if I am in what feels like a "safe" area, I will leave it on the bike, sometimes I will throw something over it.  When I am in what doesn't feel as safe an area, I pop it off and put it in the auto-locking glovebox.  It just fits.

I seem to be having some problem with the Zumo mount now, where when I remove and put the GPS back on, it often will not work (not make contact).  Despite cleaning the contacts, etc.  It is EXTREMELY frustrating, because when it loses power, it will not play music.  So I hate having to remove it when it is being reliable and risk it going wonkers again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »
Mine usually just stays on the bike, not like any of them are worth much to crooks these days.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
I use mine on three diff bikes so obviously I have a quick connect setup. Only leave it on the bike when I have a good view from my restaurant seat or my garage guarded by Killer. I use a ram ball type mount and a cigar lighter type receptacle.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »
Mine usually just stays on the bike, not like any of them are worth much to crooks these days.
The half-tame savages that live in these parts would steal your dirty socks if they could get your boots off.

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »
I have my Garmin 665 in a locking touratech mount attached to a ram ball I drilled out and bolted through.

I had to abandon the taser attachment after my wife attempted to get the GPS for a road trip in the minivan....

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
I have my Garmin 665 in a locking touratech mount attached to a ram ball I drilled out and bolted through.

I had to abandon the taser attachment after my wife attempted to get the GPS for a road trip in the minivan....
Ram does sell a locking ball mount. My concern with any locking mount is that the thieves may destroy the GPS trying to get it or just out of spite when/if they realize they can't.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
Mine pops right out of the cradle and goes into my locking Corbin smuggler along with my radar detector, what am I missing...

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
I put my Zumo 660 in the saddlebags or trunk when I leave the bike (only use GPS on trips).  Too expensive to risk some lowlife stealing it from the unlocked Garmin mount.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »
I put my Zumo 660 in the saddlebags or trunk when I leave the bike (only use GPS on trips).  Too expensive to risk some lowlife stealing it from the unlocked Garmin mount.

+1 same here.
It's not so valuable, but it's mine. I worked for it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:59 AM »
Mine pops right out of the cradle and goes into my locking Corbin smuggler along with my radar detector, what am I missing...

Exactly what I do, except that I don't put it in your Corbin Smuggler, I put it in my Sargent storage pod  ;D
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:04:18 AM »
Same here. I pop the Zumo 660 and the radar detector off and put them in the locked bags when not with the bike.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:33:33 AM »
I have my Zumo 660 in a locking tourtech mount and a lockable knob on the arm.  I leave it on the bike while in restaurants or stores but at night I take the zumo out of the mount and take it inside with me.

Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:34 AM »
Once I start using mine, I'll do what I normally do.....throw my coat over the whole dash/handlebar area and park where I can see the bike.  If I'm leaving it out of site, I'll lock it up in a case.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »
I have a Garmin 765 and leave it on the bike about 95% of the time. If I'm on  a trip and staying in a motel I snap it out of the cradle and put it in the tail bag or the saddle bag.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »

Mark

Techmount makes a "Quick Change Adapter Plate"...see this link:

http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=156

Out of sight is out of mind...

Good Luck!
'02 C-10

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
+1 on what Jim said

Offline marku8a

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
Good ideas to think about. Thanks to all. Thanks CRocker for the Techmount link.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Ram does sell a locking ball mount. My concern with any locking mount is that the thieves may destroy the GPS trying to get it or just out of spite when/if they realize they can't.
Not a good idea to **** off the criminal types.  A friend of mine got her brand new Jetta stolen, but they had found and used the Valet key, which is only good for a short distance of driving.  When the car shut down on them, they torched it.

If you are going to leave a tempting tidbit out in plain sight, I think you should make it easy to remove, or you could find your whole bike trashed.  My zumo 450 has a quick release mount, and I lock the unit in the tail box if I'm going to be away from the bike for long.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
Just give the trunk monkey the 9mm, and relax.  No problems!

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250