Author Topic: Has anyone "cut down" a windscreen? Do's and don'ts??  (Read 6778 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Has anyone "cut down" a windscreen? Do's and don'ts??
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
Brutha's,

Has anyone out there "cut-down" a windscreen? If so, how did you do it??

I want a shorter screen for warmer months of the year...  8)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: Has anyone "cut down" a windscreen? Do's and don'ts??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:08:52 AM »
I haven't but ...

-Tape both sides of the shield with masking tape to cover an area more than 2"+ to each side of where you want to cut.

-Mark where you want to cut.

(These first two can be done with the shield still on the bike .... or not. The next steps, you might want to have the shield off of the bike.)

-Using a jigsaw (or something similar that will not heat up the area too much which will cause the plastic to melt), cut along the line you marked on the tape. Take your time.

-File and sand the edge to your desired smoothness.

-Remove the remaining tape.

-Install and do a final cleaning of the shield.

-Gear up and take it for a ride! If all is good, continue to the next step. If not, go back to the 1st step to make adjustments and do any additional cutting you want.

-Put away all tools and supplies used. Dispose of trash.

Well .... that's how I'd do it.  ;)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:49 AM »
Good tips and I'll add.

Use a brand new blade on the saw and use this highest speed the saw is capable of.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »
If you don't have patience don't try it  ;)  I had a 7 Jurock that looked like a sail on a boat, huge, and I decided to cut it down "some" and add the vents at the bottom.  The vents I used one of those tools that looks like a drill bit in it.  Damn what a fubar I mad of that shield.

I went back to my MRA Vario for winter and summer and that is where I will stay.

Good luck, oh and I did the taping and jig saw with fine tooth and high speed, I am just not that steady
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:07:30 AM »
Take your time and make sure your tape is laid straight for your guide line. 

Mine has a couple small imperfections but I still love the look and it is perfect for hot days (I cut the stock screen about 2 inches above the top edge of the dash)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
I cut my Cee Bailey Euro Cut due to a rock smashing the top corner of the shield.
Cutting was super easy, I used a medium coarse blade, standard jig saw with only one speed so no idea what the speed was! Masking tape on both sides. I drew only one half of the line/ contour I was looking for on a piece of heavy paper, traced it on the masking tape and flipped over the template to get the exact line on the other side of the shield. If the top of my Cee Bailey was in one piece I could have just traced the original shape on paper and dropped it down the few inches I was cutting. 400 grit sand paper on a sanding block after the jig saw and finished the edge with some smooth scotch brite on the sanding block.
Turned out perfect, looks as smooth as factory!
Good Luck.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies bro's.  :chugbeer:

Were any of the shields you guys cut down already tinted? Any issues with that at all or ?? I'm not sure if those are dipped or whatever and having a raw edge might cause something to peel or look bad??  ???   :-\

The one that I'll be attempting to cut down is a Cal shorty that I just bought in the classifieds here, pic below.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4671.0

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »
I've successfully used a hand held variable speed jig to cut a number of shields.

I always practise on some scrap first to get the hang of it again each time.

use this highest speed the saw is capable of

I respectfully disagree.  You actually want to use a low speed.  If your speed is too high, you will cut and melt the plastic simultaneously, leaving a scraggly fused plastic line immediately behind your blade as you cut. 

You may be left with a single piece of plastic the same as you started with, but now it has a big scar down your cut line.  At best, you'll have a lot of extra dressing up to do along your cut edge to smooth it out.

Slow blade speed, light pressure, let the blade do the work.  Don't be in a hurry while cutting. 

Try it first on a piece of scrap and you'll see what I mean.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
I see your point Stasch but when I cut mine I used high speed and didn't have the melting issue that you mentioned. I didn't press hard and let the blade do the work.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
Someone did one on the old forum.  With the stock shield we may as well whack it off, it doesn't provide much protection unless there's some hidden in the constant bobble-head effect at any height
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
I've done a couple.  The advice above is all good.  I don't have the hands of a surgeon, so I don't get the best cut.  What I do after cutting is use and electric belt sander.  With a fairly coarse grit, I can even up the cut within minutes.  Then use 400 wet/dry sandpaper to put a smooth finish on it.  They turn out looking like they were made that way.

BTW, I use something round like a plate to mark the radius on the sides after putting a number of pencil marks across the top at a the level I want to cut it down to.  Just look around your house for anything round until you find the radius you like.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Hey, that sounds like sex- if you go too fast something might melt. Not the part where you try it out first on a piece of scrap.

The key is to use low pressure and not generate too much friction no matter what the blade's speed. Hey, that is also a little like.... never mind.

Brian

I've successfully used a hand held variable speed jig to cut a number of shields.

I always practise on some scrap first to get the hang of it again each time.

I respectfully disagree.  You actually want to use a low speed.  If your speed is too high, you will cut and melt the plastic simultaneously, leaving a scraggly fused plastic line immediately behind your blade as you cut. 

You may be left with a single piece of plastic the same as you started with, but now it has a big scar down your cut line.  At best, you'll have a lot of extra dressing up to do along your cut edge to smooth it out.

Slow blade speed, light pressure, let the blade do the work.  Don't be in a hurry while cutting. 

Try it first on a piece of scrap and you'll see what I mean.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DaveO

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
Ive cut a few and had good results . I cracked one but I think it was cold temps Do it in a warm garage.
Lay out the line where you want to cut .  Use a pattern dont freehand  a lumpy edged  sheild will look bad .
Also dont tape the side you want to save ,the tape will discolor the sheild sometimes .
I use a small dremel cut off wheel for initial  cut Take your time it make take a few passes  and steady your hand with dreamel tool in it.  The cut will look nasty when your done because  a tiny bit of plastic has melted. Knock off the rough edges with a file . Now take a small  4.5 "grinder and very lightly smooth off with a flapper wheel... These clog up quickly so have a few on hand .  You can even round the edges  and get a factory look to it with the flapper (polishing wheel0 .
 Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:11:25 PM by DaveO »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Ive cut a few and had good results . I cracked one but I think it was cold temps Do it in a warm garage.
Lay out the line where you want to cut .  Use a pattern dont freehand  a lumpy edged  sheild will look bad .
Also dont tape the side you want to save ,the tape will discolor the sheild sometimes .
I use a small dremel cut off wheel for initial  cut Take your time it make take a few passes  and steady your hand with dreamel tool in it.  The cut will look nasty when your done because tiny bit of plastic has melted. Knok off the rough edges with a file  Now take a small  4.5 "grinder and very lightly smooth off with a flapper wheel These clog up quickly so have a few on hand .  You can even round the edges  and get a factory look to it with the flapper (polishing wheel0 .
 Good luck.

Hmmm... I do have a dremel, would that work better than a jigsaw??

Another thing I've thought of is some winscreens have the small tube type rubberish (not sure what's it's made of) wrap that goes along the top edge, I'd think that might help to cover any marks from cutting it right and give it a cleaner look??

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
If I were to do a project like this I would find a low center point and affix a string to it. Figure out how far I wanted to cut off and tie the other end of the string to a marker. Have some masking tape on the shield in the rough area of where I was planning on cutting. Then I would mark it as if I ware using a drawing compass.
Joel from Maine.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »
I'm going to assume you want to cut down the stock screen, but you don't say in your post. So, I have a question that MAY make a difference in what's been discussed above. Is the stock Kawi shield made from acrylic ("Plexiglass") or polycarbonate ("Lexan")? I thought that it is acrylic since it does not appear to be coated. (Polycarbonate will haze/craze over time if it's not coated.)

Cutting polycarbonate is much easier than acrylic. Acrylic is much, much more apt to crack while cutting. Given the compound curves on the stock shield, I would take a much different approach if it truly is acrylic.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
I'm going to assume you want to cut down the stock screen, but you don't say in your post. So, I have a question that MAY make a difference in what's been discussed above. Is the stock Kawi shield made from acrylic ("Plexiglass") or polycarbonate ("Lexan")? I thought that it is acrylic since it does not appear to be coated. (Polycarbonate will haze/craze over time if it's not coated.)

Cutting polycarbonate is much easier than acrylic. Acrylic is much, much more apt to crack while cutting. Given the compound curves on the stock shield, I would take a much different approach if it truly is acrylic.

I listed it prior in this thread WG, no it's not a stock one I want to cut down.

The one that I'll be attempting to cut down is a tinted Cal shorty that I just bought in the classifieds here, pic below.

Anyone out there know what the Cal shields are made of??

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
I didn't see the shield listed in your original post when I went back to double check. I should have browsed your posts in the thread again and I would have seen that it wasn't a stock shield.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »

I listed it prior in this thread WG, no it's not a stock one I want to cut down.

The one that I'll be attempting to cut down is a tinted Cal shorty that I just bought in the classifieds here, pic below.

Anyone out there know what the Cal shields are made of??

Hmm, per the CalSci website (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html) :

"Shorty made from 3mm thick (1/8") dark tint acrylic."

I say go slow, don't let the cutting teeth take too aggressive of a bite.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
Hmm, per the CalSci website (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html) :

"Shorty made from 3mm thick (1/8") dark tint acrylic."

I say go slow, don't let the cutting teeth take too aggressive of a bite.

Hey Rob,
Would you recommend using a jigsaw or a dremel??  :-\