Author Topic: Tinting your windscreen - VHT niteshades?  (Read 18335 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Tinting your windscreen - VHT niteshades?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
 :chugbeer:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »

:rotflmao:

Left over box from Thanksgiving, lot's of women were here...  ;D ;D ;D

As long as they were good looking women then you have a leg to stand on.  Other than that I would feel obligated to pull your man card.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »
As long as they were good looking women then you have a leg to stand on.  Other than that I would feel obligated to pull your man card.   ;)

Well, they did get better looking as the night went on... does that count for anything...  :-\

Flathead

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
Yup, definition of a 10..... a 4 + a 6 pack!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »
Yup, definition of a 10..... a 4 + a 6 pack!

I have a pretty high tolerance, I'd need a 16, 4 + a 12 pack.   ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Two 5th's of most anything and she can be a Zero!  :o
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »
Ok, got the 3rd coat of spray on yesterday.

Today I peeled of the masking tape and was not too happy, didn't look too great...  :(

I almost just tossed em in the trash but instead decided to finish the steps, thanks goodness I did, the last 2 steps are I guess the most important!

Wet sanded them under running water with 2k grit paper, this will take off all the texture and make them a nice smooth flat surface...

Then take a compound and polish them out, buff out with micro-fiber towell until glossy finish, FYI I did this twice... And walla, finally turned out to look as I had originally expected!!  :thumbs:

If anyone out there is going to use this product I strongly recommend watching these clips I found on youtube, they were very helpful in the process!  :thumbs:

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2)

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 2 OF 2)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
Installed!  8)

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
They look great, nice work.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
They look great, nice work.

Thanks bro, "work" is the right word, it was alot more work than I thought it would be, probably spent about 3 to 4 hours cumulatively on them... It's a good way to go on a budget if you have more time than $, but if I had to do over again I'd probably just buy the Motax tinted ones and be done, I'm always short on time it seems...
 :(

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
Maybe the pics just don't show it - but they don't look tinted to me.  They  look black.  Are they actually transparent?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »
Maybe the pics just don't show it - but they don't look tinted to me.  They  look black.  Are they actually transparent?

Yep they are but they are dark, I think 2 coats would have been good enough, probably the angle/glare of the pic isn't helping either JJ...

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 04:48:06 AM »

Yep they are but they are dark, I think 2 coats would have been good enough, probably the angle/glare of the pic isn't helping either JJ...

Okay, that's what I was hoping you would say.  Thanks for the great write-up.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 05:32:15 AM »
Nice work J. They look good. Do you wish you stopped at two coats then?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »
Nice work J. They look good. Do you wish you stopped at two coats then?

Thanks C, yes 2 coats would have been enough, or maybe my coats were just applied thicker than they we supposed to be??

Last week after the first coat I wasn't feeling to good about the project so I ordered up a set of the Motax dark tint ones just to have as a backup in case this didn't turn out, I figured worste case I'd just resell them on here if need be, now I'll have to decide which ones to keep when the Motax arrive...  :-\ 
I always like having options...  ;) ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
Those really do look nice.

If you didn't have that Gen1 version of the C14, I'd be asking how much you wanted for whichever one you're going to sell.

Guess I'll have to order some for myself. (Honey, have you bought my Christmas present yet???)  ;D
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

Thanks C, yes 2 coats would have been enough, or maybe my coats were just applied thicker than they we supposed to be??

Last week after the first coat I wasn't feeling to good about the project so I ordered up a set of the Motax dark tint ones just to have as a backup in case this didn't turn out, I figured worste case I'd just resell them on here if need be, now I'll have to decide which ones to keep when the Motax arrive...  :-\ 
I always like having options...  ;) ;D

They definitely look darker and less transparent than the windshield you have on the bike. Which screen is that and have you decided which of the two tinted screens you prefer?
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
They definitely look darker and less transparent than the windshield you have on the bike. Which screen is that and have you decided which of the two tinted screens you prefer?

The screen in the pic is the CB euro mini I just picked up, it's the exact same size (height and width) as the Kawi tall (otherwise know as the 10+ oem standard). I haven't ran the Cal mini I just picked up yet, it's a couple inches shorter than the CB so that would probably only be for warmer months riding...

I also need to decide what to do with the clear 08/09 oem I just picked up that I was going to tint and the clear Kawi tall that I was already running too... :-\

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »

The screen in the pic is the CB euro mini I just picked up, it's the exact same size (height and width) as the Kawi tall (otherwise know as the 10+ oem standard). I haven't ran the Cal mini I just picked up yet, it's a couple inches shorter than the CB so that would probably only be for warmer months riding...

I also need to decide what to do with the clear 08/09 oem I just picked up that I was going to tint and the clear Kawi tall that I was already running too... :-\

Since the CB Euro Mini is the same height as my '11 OEM, I'm wondering how it feels compared to your clear "taller" OEM shield.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
They look good, if you end up selling them I'll take them off your hands.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.