Author Topic: Front rotors from China.  (Read 17703 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Front rotors from China.
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »
Stock C10 brakes are very weak.
 I was comparing my 'STOCK' C14 brakes (310mm rotor, soft  squishy rubber hoses and stock non grabby pads)
with my highly modified C10 which currently has = 320 mm rotors (stock are 300mm) and hard non expanding Speigler S.S. lines(stock are soft expanding squishy rubber) with 4 piston calipers (stock is 2 pistons)

Have a look at the service manuals for C10 and C14. " Replace the rubber brake and clutch hoses every 4 years"

My C10 was 5 years old when I decided to go with a C14.  I'm glad I upgraded.  I did realize that you were talking about a highly modified brake system on your C10.  The C10 isn't in the fly weight class either.  As far as replacing the hoses, I haven't noticed any difference in the feel of the brakes on my C14.  They're still the best I've ever had.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
Stock C10 brakes are very weak.
The C14 is a big heavy bike and compared to modern light weight  race bikes the brakes just do not compare. It is all relative.

I was comparing my 'STOCK' C14 brakes (310mm rotor, soft  squishy rubber hoses and stock non grabby pads)
with my highly modified C10 which currently has = 320 mm rotors (stock are 300mm) and hard non expanding Speigler S.S. lines(stock are soft expanding squishy rubber) with 4 piston calipers (stock is 2 pistons)

Now, when I bought my C14 the first thing I noticed is my C14 does not stop as well as my C10 and did not stop good enough for me.I guess I have been spoiled.
So  I fixed that with all new H.H pads and all new S.S. lines.
You too will notice the HUGE difference and improvement  and your friends will too. Find a C14 with these simple mods and ride one. Many of us have already done it.

Have a look at the service manuals for C10 and C14. " Replace the rubber brake and clutch hoses every 4 years"

Whoa... Your original post was ambiguous and made a bad assumption... Not all of us came from a C10. For all I know they came stock with a 320mm rotor!?!?!? And your second post spelling everything out should have been your original post... I guess I better go back and memorize all the C10 specs for future updates...  ;)
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »
Mike, I have the Arashi rotors on my C14 since last summer and am about 3500 miles in.
So far no issues to report with the rotors, but the EBC HH pads I fitted at the same time as the rotors are too grabby.
At some point in the near future I will be chamfering the edges of the pads as recommended by a friend of mine who runs a small racing team.
Apparently this helps massively with slotted rotors and is why EBC do drilled rotors.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
Whoa... Your original post was ambiguous and made a bad assumption... Not all of us came from a C10. For all I know they came stock with a 320mm rotor!?!?!? And your second post spelling everything out should have been your original post... I guess I better go back and memorize all the C10 specs for future updates...  ;)
All you had to do was read what I said, no memorizing required.
My original post DID say BBK. 
'My old C10 (with a  320mm BBK) stops  better.  C14 is 310mm. '
Just in case you don't know what BBK is: It stands for Big Brake Kit. That kit means =not stock.

martin_14  You are correct . I  too could squeeze the lever to the handle and  was  not stopping like I thought it should. 
I normally do not have to brake that hard but sometimes I  need to.
Anyway, it is fixed now. I dont know why the service manual says to change rubber hoses every 4 years. Maybe for legal reasons. I just put SS lines on  and never have to worry about it again.

Boomer  those Arashi rotors look just  like the Chinese  Galfer knockoffs seen on Ebay. I wonder if the steel is softer hence the 'too grabby'.  http://www.arashimoto.com/contact%20us/contact%20us.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:45:18 PM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Spanky

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
I guess I have been extremely lucky. 45k on my stock brake rotors and no problems. They are the best set of stock brakes I have ever had on a bike. My 09 is non abs - I have no idea if abs is harder on rotors or not. I have cleaned my rotors with a hone and drill motor, and I am on my second set of EBC pads. I have not checked the thickness of my rotors. SteveWFL's post made me realize I should do that. If I need new rotors, I would not hesitate to try these so thanks for posting about them.

Offline ZRX631

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
I've had these rotors with EBC HH pads on the bike for about 2000 miles now. Rode 1500 of it last week on a trip to Suches Ga. 1000 miles chasing sportier bikes on the Cheryhola, Blood Mountain and Warwoman as well as many others. So far I'm really happy with them and would buy them again.

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
FYI Update:   I installed these rotors at 57000 kilometers and am now at 82000. Total= 25000 kilometers (about 15600 miles) and they are perfectly straight. Smooth powerful stopping.  Problem solved.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Mike, thanks a lot for the update.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
Mike, thanks a lot for the update.

+1  :finger_fing11:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline BeaverMatt

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
Any long term updates on the "Chinese" rotors?
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:37 AM »
Any long term updates on the "Chinese" rotors?

Sorry Beaver. Bike's been locked in the shed all winter. 

Offline BeaverMatt

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
Anyone else?
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black