Author Topic: Would you buy a demo?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline patatty

Would you buy a demo?
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
Hello.  Newbie poster here, but have been lurking for a while.  Currently ride a 2000 ZRX and am looking to add to the stable.

I have been casually shopping around for a new C14 for a couple of months and was just made aware that a local dealer has a 2011 demo for sale.  I was told that it has around 150 miles on it and that its "demo" status knocks $1,000 off of the price (whatever that ends up being).

While a demo rider is not typically concerned with proper break-in, would 150 miles of demo use concern anyone here? 

Thanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Would you buy a demo?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
Not to me...as long as it comes with the std warranty.  I don't know if that's considered a 'new' or 'used' bike, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
An extra 1000 off what?  There are leftover 2010's out there as well so it would really matter on the final deal

Offline patatty

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
An extra 1000 off what?  There are leftover 2010's out there as well so it would really matter on the final deal

Understood.  We briefly spoke on the phone and I didn't push the price issue.  I'd like to see it first.  I have a couple of what I think are good quotes on a new 2010 and a 2011 from other dealers.  I'd go in there with the 2011 quote and tell them to take the $1k off of that.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
When I bought my 2010 ABS with zero miles on the clock they asked $16,200 out the door including tax and dealer price increase preperation. I said make it $15,000 and we have a deal. Without hesitation the sales guy said sold! And this was in April of 2010 and was the latest model. If it had it to do over again I would have said $14,000. For a 2011 demo bike when the dealer has 2012's on the floor I would ask for at least $2,000 off.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
I passed on a blue '10 demo, even though I liked the color a lot. It was the only blue one in the area at the time. Ended up with a faster '11 black instead for the same price (and that was in March '11).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
My initial thought is concern about the break-in but here are some things to consider -

Is the dealership located in an area where it would be easy for someone to really abuse the bike speed-wise?

Does the dealer have a specified "test route" that would allow excess speed?

If most test rides are like 5-10 miles, this could actually produce better break in results because the motor would have been thru numerous heat/cool cycles and the throttle position would have been varied.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
While a demo rider is not typically concerned with proper break-in, would 150 miles of demo use concern anyone here? 

Not necessarily. At least in my case, when I take a demo bike for a spin I'm rather careful and don't try to get the hell out of it. Like if I had enough skills to do that to a C14 anyway  ::)
However, if you have the chance, go for a low mileage one instead. I guess an owner would break in his bike properly, even if afterwards found out that the bike was not his cup of tea and decided to sell it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »
I would be concerned on how the 150 miles were spent. If many of them were near redline what affect will that have on the engine later? I don't know the answer, I would be concerned about that. You don't need to achieve light speed to go way over break in revs in first gear. Most people who would test ride a c-14 are probably older and responsible, but there are some hooligans in the connie crowd. Tuff call. It all comes down to how much will you save vs. a deal on a new left over. Personally, I would want to be financially rewarded for the additional risk.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
I know how I would test ride a C14 and I wouldn't want to buy it unless there was at least $2000 taken off the price.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »
I would never buy a demo or any bike used on demo ride tours. We get opportunities up in the Ga mountains fairly often to hook up and ride any given manufacturers bikes. Trust me when I tell you that people, including myself run the **** out of them. Its kinda like a rental car (A.K.A. rent a racer). who really babies vehicles that do not belong to yourself or a close friend etc etc. Also ask this question...If given the chance to demo a bike are you going to pussy foot around or whack the throttle wide open. That alone should put this query to rest. And for what its worth you can buy new left over 11 models for back of 13k with no junk fees. I paid 13,200 in August for a silver and passed on a new black at a different seller at 13 even. Just could not deal with the all black thing.  Get yourself a new one or a used one that only has had one owner that you might trust a little more than wondering if any number of the dozens of demo riders didn't smoke the clutch up or red line the thing a bunch while not broken in and ice cold. But if your the kind of guy that doesn't mind buying one of those program rental cars with about 20k easy miles on them then I say go for it.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I think I would avoid a C-14 demo. because I suspect it was used hard / abused for those few miles. I would absolutely avoid a demo sport bike because I know how they are tested. Probably the only motorcycles I would consider buying after they had been used as demos would be either something like a Goldwing (test riders are far less likely to abuse them IMO) or something that was inherently low in power that really could not be abused, at least not just by riding the bike.

Brian

Hello.  Newbie poster here, but have been lurking for a while.  Currently ride a 2000 ZRX and am looking to add to the stable.

I have been casually shopping around for a new C14 for a couple of months and was just made aware that a local dealer has a 2011 demo for sale.  I was told that it has around 150 miles on it and that its "demo" status knocks $1,000 off of the price (whatever that ends up being).

Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
My dealer won't let you ride alone. They always have a shop rider ride the route with you. So no one beats on the demo's. They actually get treated like babies. So if my dealer had a demo available I would buy it.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »

Welcome!  LOL!!!  I came off a 2000 ZRX!!  Was a great bike until I was endlessly haunted with extreme and apparently unfixable carburetor problems.   The Concours is much bigger and heavier.  But it is oh such much nicer- especially colder weather riding when compared to the "naked" ZRX.

I have been casually shopping around for a new C14 for a couple of months and was just made aware that a local dealer has a 2011 demo for sale.  I was told that it has around 150 miles on it and that its "demo" status knocks $1,000 off of the price (whatever that ends up being).  While a demo rider is not typically concerned with proper break-in, would 150 miles of demo use concern anyone here? 

I don't think it would bother me all that much.  You need to ask more about what "demo" means to that dealer and if it was supervised.  Many people think the "break in" is mostly not needed anymore anyway (even though I did follow it, strictly).  As others noted, the Concours will probably not attract the stereotypical young, irresponsible, abusive test rider.  And it is "only" 150 miles... not 1,000 or something crazy.

Plus, the Concours has an excellent warranty, and it is very extendible too.  Just check it very carefully for anything wrong first.  Also, make sure it really is $1,000 off what a 2011 would ordinarily sell for.  They are going to want to start to rid themselves of 2011 so they can carry the 2012 (even though there is zero difference between the two years, other than, apparently, black wheels and grips).  So you might easily find "$1,000 off" a brand new one elsewhere.

Do what you think feels right.  If you want a Concours, you will have one.... don't let a little on the price sway you too much in any direction.  It won't seem like a lot later, when you have to spend on all those accessories, gear, insurance, taxes, etc, for a bike you will likely want to keep for many years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline patatty

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Welcome!  LOL!!!  I came off a 2000 ZRX!!  Was a great bike until I was endlessly haunted with extreme and apparently unfixable carburetor problems.   The Concours is much bigger and heavier.  But it is oh such much nicer- especially colder weather riding when compared to the "naked" ZRX.

Thanks!  I am 120 miles away from 70,000 on my ZRX right now and have never had any issues. I'll hit 70,000 on my way in to work tomorrow.  Cold-weather riding is tough, though!

Also, make sure it really is $1,000 off what a 2011 would ordinarily sell for.

I have an OTD quote of $12,616 from another dealer for a new 2011 , so I'd be looking for $1k below that. 

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
No problem on a demo. The c14 comes with  a long warranty.  Plus, it is a fast bike. If someone is running oen at redline , on a test drive, good luck.  That type of person has probably lost their license already.

If you study break-in, you'll see everyone KNOWS the proper method.  But, every method is different.  That lets me know it matters very little as logn as someoen is not doing somethign totally bizarre.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
Thanks!  I am 120 miles away from 70,000 on my ZRX right now and have never had any issues. I'll hit 70,000 on my way in to work tomorrow.  Cold-weather riding is tough, though!

I don't remember my mileage, but it was over 40,000.   Even with heated "everything", it was almost impossible to ride at temps below 55F or so, and certainly not comfortable well above that.  I rode the C-14 in 37F temps just a few days ago- with heated jacket, no prob!

My carbs starting going whacky pretty shortly after they started added Ethanol to all the gas here.  I spent a lot of money trying to get it fixed, and from THREE different places, including the Kawasaki dealership.  Nobody could keep it fixed.  After being unable to start it for the many-ith time, I got pissed and said "that's it!  I love the bike, but can't stand it anymore".

The ZRX was a great bike, but there is NOTHING I miss about it now :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
I have an OTD quote of $12,616 from another dealer for a new 2011 , so I'd be looking for $1k below that. 

AWESOME!
What a decision, 11,616 or 12,616--either way, GREAT PRICE!! Buy both!

Unless it was dropped, the demo miles would not bother me. I would go for the $11,616. A demo with thousands of miles is one thing. The few miles on this bike, is nothing.
2008 C-14

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
I was thinking $11,000 and make them change the oil for free on the demo. The new price sounds great too. Good luck!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
My experience is that demo rides are supervised and nobody ever opens the throttle very far on an unfamiliar bike on a test ride, especially a large, powerful bike so it ends up being a lot of short trips with corresponding heat cycles, varying and moderate revs, in short - perfect break in conditions.

Now a small bike or a scooter that has to be revved high to get moving, well, that may be another thing.