Author Topic: Fork Mods and Lane Splitting  (Read 4002 times)

Offline mcman56

Fork Mods and Lane Splitting
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
Do fork mods, as in stiffer springs and maybe emulators, improve a Coucours's ability to "hold  a line"?  I guess I mean, is there less wandering?  I commute in traffic in CA which includes lane splitting. I have a Honda HawkGT and it really holds a line very well.  The Concours is less precise....sort of like..left to right +/- maybe 3+ inches.  This only matters when splitting lanes.  Do upgraded forks help in this situation?  In comparison, the Concours has a higher center of gravity and a less rigid frame so I don't know if suspension changes would help.  ??

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Fork Mods and Lane Splitting
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:04:37 PM »
"Do fork mods, as in stiffer springs and maybe emulators, improve a Coucours's ability...."

Yes and absolutely in that order; stock springs are too soft; and emulators are as close to a cartridge fork as your going to get with an old fashion damping rod front end think 1960's tech..... What about your tires and their pressure? What PSI and damping do you have your rear shock set too?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
steering head adjusted too tight? swing arm play? crappy Dunlop "factory fit" tires? These will all do what you are experiencing.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »
Another comment is at what speeds are you speaking of? With or without a top box or even the factory sidebags and how heavy are they loaded? Stock windscreen or aftermarket? What direction are the foot scoops installed? Try removing them and see how much difference these small hunks of worthless plastic make. All these things can make the Concours a bloody pig if your trying to dance around with the big rigs at speed. The Concours is by no means a Honda Hawk GT so that's not a good compare either.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline vinny

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
You can also change the weight of the fork oil you use - that can make a big difference.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:20:13 AM by vinny »

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
I've done about as much as you can do to the concours suspension, and mine still wants to wander at 10mph.  I had an 88 hawkgt, you'll never get another bike to do what that one will.  I recommend an F3 front end and vfr rear wheel, and send me your engine, because  Mike Velasco is the service manager at the Honda dealership here.  Then sell it to me!  ;D
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline vinny

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
How did you find changing the fork oil weight?

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
The suspension upgrades will help along the entire speed range so I suggest doing them (naturally I say read the FAQs), but upgrades alone won't solve your problem. Connie is a top heavy bi*ch and learning how to handle that is key.

I don't split lanes but low speed riding is low speed riding. Instead of sawing at the bars try giving her a touch more throttle and drag your rear brake. I use this technique at parking lot speeds and in traffic. The added revs (and I'm not saying many) will add more of the engine's reciprocating mass to the wheels' to increase gyroscopic stability. Lay off the front brake or you will go down fast.

Find a vacant portion of a parking lot. Ride the white lines. Start at a comfortable speed and go slower and slower. When you can't go slower without dabbing your foot you've gone as slow as you can go. Then practice going slower still. Upgrading the fork helps but learning to control your bike at the lowest edges of the envelope is the answer.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:18 AM »
I've done about as much as you can do to the concours suspension, and mine still wants to wander at 10mph.  I had an 88 hawkgt, you'll never get another bike to do what that one will.  I recommend an F3 front end and vfr rear wheel, and send me your engine, because  Mike Velasco is the service manager at the Honda dealership here.  Then sell it to me!  ;D

Mike Velasco Racing built the motor on the CB1000 that my friend Brad used to own.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
Notice:  thread hijack:  People used to send their Hawkgt motors from other countries to Mike Velasco.  When he still had his shop, he told me I could have 72 streetable pumpgas hp for 5 thousand dollars.  Which sounds like a lot for not that much until you realize they came with 39.  He used to build 90hp track motors for the hawk, but they cost "extra".
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline mcman56

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
Lane splitting ranges from 10 mph to 65 mph.  I have stock suspension and avon tires.  The tires actually helped quite a bit.  The windshield is cut way way down and has a few 2 1/2" holes to let air through.   That seemd to help also.  It has a passenger back rest but no box on back.  I have the small wind deflectors but can try taking them off.