Author Topic: Which carb/TB sync guage?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline C14PAINKILLER

Which carb/TB sync guage?
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »
For those who do their own syncs, would like to know which tool you use, ie: dial gauges, bar gauges or electronic types. The make and simplicity of use info would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:03:57 AM by VirginiaJim »
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Re: Which carb/TB sync tool
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 01:16:16 AM »
   I use the Morgan Carbtune. Well built, uses bars so there are no liquids to spill and replace. It gets shipped from Ireland, but I had mine in my hands in less than a week, and I was happy with that. When I got mine the dollar was a bit stronger, so I paid $87 total, but I see it's $98 delivered now. It's still worth it.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Re: Which carb/TB sync guage?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
I've got a Twinmax electronic balancer, and it works great.  Very accurate, easy to use, and when I got it was not to expensive. Seems the price has risen though.  I got it at California Sport Touring, but I can't tell if they still sell it. http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/prods/24002.html

Aerostitch has it http://www.aerostich.com/twinmax-synchronizer.html. Google it, and a bunch of other sell it as well.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
I bought the Morgan Carbtune for about $105 and it was def. worth it. This was after the $50 Motion Pro was a complete disaster - junk! The solid bars on the Morgan work great and make it very easy to use.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
My favorite is still the old mercury sticks. The stuff (mercury) is toxic but only if you ingest the stuff- keep it in the manometers and all is well. I like them because they work on physics alone, do not need or have any adjustments, and require no checking or calibration. I don't know if you can still get them anywhere but if so, and you feel you can be careful with them, then I would suggest a set of those.

After that, the Morgan type with the metal slugs would seem the best solution. I am sure they work well but would probably calibrate them one time just to be sure all the slugs rise to the same level given the same vacuum (connect all four to one input and they should all read exactly the same). As long as they calibrate one time, I think they would be a great tool just about forever.

Brian

For those who do their own syncs, would like to know which tool you use, ie: dial gauges, bar gauges or electronic types. The make and simplicity of use info would be appreciated.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. Like the Twinmax as well, but the Carbtune seems to be a favourite amongst the forum. Will see if my local englishman can source it for me and take it from there.

:chugbeer:
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »
With any of these type guages, how difficult is the synch process for someone that is reasonable mechanical, but not a "mechanic"?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold