Author Topic: Rebuild Progressive Suspension Shock?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline mcman56

Rebuild Progressive Suspension Shock?
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Has anyone rebuilt their own Progressive Suspension shock?  I contacted PS and they do not sell the components.  This is a 420 shock.  I started disassembly and there is a steel cartridge unit inside.  One end looks pressed on.  Is the other threaded or pressed?  Are seals available somewhere?  Thanks 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Rebuild Progressive Suspension Shock?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
What did Progressive say they charge to repair?  I believe you have no choice but to have the shock serviced by them since that is a nitrogen charged sealed unit and you do not have the ability to properly reseal and the recharge the unit
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:40:04 PM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline mcman56

Re: Rebuild Progressive Suspension Shock?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:32:01 AM »
They quoted $60 to $240.  This one has a bad shaft and lower bearing so is probably a $240.  I would actually like to try a 1" shorter shock so would not want to spend that much on this one.

The nitrogen charged part is not what would be expected.  It has a rectangular bladder that looks like a small inflatable pillow.  The schrader valve is sealed to the bladder.   The bladder is installed from the inside of the shock and sits on the side between the cartridge and the shock body.