Author Topic: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets  (Read 16902 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
So I generally rock Arai lids, but have been drooling over Nolan Modular helmets.  Any info from the community on safety comparisons?  I mean I know they are both DOT approved, but something about the modular helmets makes me think they are less structurally sound than non-modular full face helmets.  Am I just being paranoid?
Will

Son of Pappy

Re: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
I really like my 102, biggest drawbacks are weight and noise.  Never had a concern in regards to safety.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
IIRC, last time I checked, no modular helmets passed the Snell standards.  Personally, I don't stress much if the helmet passes DOT, but I understand there may be some limitations to the DOT standard (actually as to the testing more than the standard).  I'm unsure whether any modulars have passed the European standards.

IMHO, better a modular that is worn than a full-face on the shelf.  As I understand it, they are/can be less structurally sound, but whether that difference is significant to you remains your decision.  As for me, I have no plans to buy one.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
So I generally rock Arai lids, but have been drooling over Nolan Modular helmets.  Any info from the community on safety comparisons?  I mean I know they are both DOT approved, but something about the modular helmets makes me think they are less structurally sound than non-modular full face helmets.  Am I just being paranoid?

ANYTHING is DOT approved.  I wouldn't even count that as a measure of safety.  Modular helmets are generally not considered as safe as standard helmets because the chin is not integrated and could come apart or open during impact.  As far as I am aware, for example, they cannot be given SNELL or certain other certifications.

They are also usually much heavier due to the extra matter and hardware needed to make the opening mechanism work.  And they are also noisier than standard helmets due to all the extra cracks, seals, and non-smoothness.  For the same reason, they might also not be as watertight.  I am not quite sure I understand people's interest in them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »
I thought about one then changed my mind about it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
Quick answer as to why, for me at least, and as to why SNELL wont certify them.  I bought one for the summer commutes, the 5MPH times, gate entries, and training sessions, it's much easier to communicate when the lid is open.  SNELL wont endorse them for the very reason folks can ride with them open.  To the best of my knowledge both Shoei and Nolan modulars pass the physical tests, just not the operator test.  I tend to be a gear/helmet whore, I use the money from training to buy what catches my fancy and what passes my common sense test.  It also allows me to make recomendations to my students based on what I have used, not read about.  Tax deductions dont hurt either ;)

Offline koval68

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
I really like my 102, biggest drawbacks are weight and noise.  Never had a concern in regards to safety.
I really hated my 102 for the extra weight and noise......bought new Shoei Qwest and I'm happy again!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
Look at www.webbikeworld.com.  They have tons of tests,comparisons and reviews on just about every helment made.   :o

Offline Eric119

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
About 5 Years ago Motorcylist magazine did an extensive research article on helmets. It was a no holds barred article. They employed an indepent lab to conduct the research, some very interesting & suprizing results.  Anyone interested should be able to do a Google search for it.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
When BMW first came out with their modular about 20 years ago I bought one and really like it. But when it came time to get a new one I just could not get over the fact that is was not a Snell bucket -- I mean if you are going to go to the trouble of wearing one, make it the safest you can buy. Snell is an independent, non-governmental  organization that seriously test helmets. It was started by parents whose son died while wearing a helmet because the helmet did not do anything near what it should have.

At this point, the only thing I miss about a modular is the ease of putting on and taking off glasses.

Something else I have noticed is that many non-Snell buckets use chin-strap buckles -- more convenient than the double D rings on all Snell units, but they must have some chance of coming unbuckled in a crash.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »
Not to hijack the thread...and, I will provide my opinion regarding modular helmets in a moment...but, it seems to be more of a "Snell vs non-Snell" thing...so...NO MODULAR HELMET MEETS THE SNELL FRONTAL IMPACT TEST!  There...now that that's been said...it bears saying, also, that the Snell Foundation is going to have to re-evaluate their criteria...not just every five years, as they do now to determine the new Snell rating standards, but relative to the future of their very existence.

Many factors are coming to bear on the Snell approval process...it used to be that every racing organization in this country required a Snell approved helmet to be a competitor...as many of you know, several sanctioning bodies in the US are now allowing ECE certified helmets to be used in competition...

This results in a larger selection of approved helmets...and, almost all of the ECE helmets are priced lower than Snell approved models...so, over the course of time, fewer Snell approved helmets will be purchased.

Add to this the production costs of Snell approved helmets...remember, now, they do not have to be used in competition (which has been one of the major selling features of a Snell approved helmet)...and the manufacturers of ECE approved helmets can make one production run of 25,000 helmets for the entire world...while Snell approved manufacturers will be forced to contemplate how many helmets to make for the dwindling demand for their product in one country...

Production runs to "fill in" sizes and colors they might run out of used to be 250-500 helmets at the minimum...in the coming years "fill in" runs will be closer to 1,000 helmets...that's twice as many helmets being constructed at a higher cost per helmet...raw materials, facilities use, transportation, and labor costs will demand it.

I know...Arai...and Shoei...say they will continue to make Snell approved helmets...in fact, that is ALL that Arai makes!  But, look ahead and see what you think the market (demand) will be for their products in five years...

And, for any helmet manufacturer introducing new, higher-end helmets...which certification do you think they will pursue?

This is why I believe the Snell Memorial Foundation needs to re-evaluate who they are and what they do...their staunch stand on exclusivity is, seemingly, backing them into a corner with no way out...

As to the question of modular helmets...I do like the convenience of being able to flip the front up and walk into the gas station when the pump tells me to "See Cashier for Receipt"...I do like being able to keep the helmet on (and my ears warm) when I stop for a drink...some people like the convenience of being able to smoke with their helmet on...

Are they less rigid than a non-modular helmet, Snell or otherwise?  Yes, I think they are...my thought is they have to be, since the shell is multiple pieces.

The down-side is weight and noise...

Are they unsafe?  No, I don't think so...I have never heard of any injuries being attributed to a modular helmet...

Sorry if I wandered...moderators...feel free to nuke this post if needed.

End of rant.
'02 C-10

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »
Personally, I found it pretty messy to drink a beer with a full face helmet.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »
Silly boy, you should use a Camelbak.  Much easier that way.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:33 AM »
Beer goes flat.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:30 AM »
Silly boy, you should use a Camelbak.  Much easier that way.

+1...I do...but, sometimes it is difficult to get the olive through the hose... ;D
'02 C-10

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »
I think there was some data around about a higher incidence of skull damage around the eye sockets when using modular helmets. I think it was because of less padding in that area due to the modular's helmet needing hinges in that area. ???

I wear a modular and like it overall but it is incredibly noisy; the noise may be because it is modular or because of the specific helmet type (HJC) but it quite high whatever the reason.

Brian

<snip>

The down-side is weight and noise...

Are they unsafe?  No, I don't think so...I have never heard of any injuries being attributed to a modular helmet...

Sorry if I wandered...moderators...feel free to nuke this post if needed.

End of rant.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline yardboy

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 06:41:12 AM »
I always wore full face untill a couple of months ago. After much reading and info gathering I bought a Nolan N90. On the Sharps helmet testing site, all the Nolan modulars chinbar stayed locked 100% of the time. Some other more expensive helmets did not. Web bike world also gave it a good review. I know testing and reviews are not real world, just a piece of my decision puzzle. I'm not comfortable in an open face, I kinda like my nose and teeth ;D, but wanted more versatility than a full face. Life is a compromise. So I did my research and decided on the Nolan.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »

I wear a modular and like it overall but it is incredibly noisy; the noise may be because it is modular or because of the specific helmet type (HJC) but it quite high whatever the reason.

Brian

Even with ear plugs in?  still noisy?  Both my full face Arai's are noisy as hell without plugs as well.  I tried on some HJC modulars a couple weeks ago.  Wish I could take on the road to test.
Will

Offline Whatever

• Let's make the world MORE politically correct!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 06:53:33 AM »

Even with ear plugs in?  still noisy?  Both my full face Arai's are noisy as hell without plugs as well.  I tried on some HJC modulars a couple weeks ago.  Wish I could take on the road to test.

I've had several full face and modular helmets over the past few years.  Strangely I keep coming back to the AGV modular Miglia, which is not a really great helmet overall, but comfortable and quieter than other full faces I've used with this bike.  I have a Scorpion full face I got a few months back because everyone talked about how quiet it was, but it was MUCH louder on this bike than the Miglia, which isn't a very quiet helmet.  I think the aerodynamics of the C14 cockpit cause alot more noise, since the Scorpion on the Ducati 900ss I have actually is pretty quiet.
I hope this signature is white bread enough.  If not, I will add more vanilla.

http://talkingbikes.org

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »
About 5 Years ago Motorcylist magazine did an extensive research article on helmets. It was a no holds barred article. They employed an indepent lab to conduct the research, some very interesting & suprizing results.  Anyone interested should be able to do a Google search for it.
If I am thinking of the same test article it, was very controversial in that it concluded that DOT helmets protected BETTER than Snell helmets against the type of head injury causing impacts that motorcyclists were more likely to suffer. Something to do with blunt vs pointed impacts.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.