Author Topic: Finally got a 17" Meanstreak rear wheel.....  (Read 6145 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Finally got a 17" Meanstreak rear wheel.....
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
Well I just did this upgrade on my Connie, this week.  I got a Meanstreak wheel that has been turned down already, and got a Nomad front rotor and bolted it all together.  The wheel came with a very lightly used BT-020 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6009/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-020-OEM-Replacement-Rear-Tire.aspx 170/60ZR17.  Now I do know that a lower profile tire better for handling, but to be honest with you all, I did not expect this type of improvment.  I'm really trying to be subjective but dang I "feel" an improvement. 
  On the way to work there is a twistie off ramp I need to use, normally I can take the road at a conservative 55-60 mph and maintain it..... any more the rear starts to get unsettled.  With this set up 72mph (gps speed) no problem. And she has a better transition too, I think.   I now need to get a 17 inch front to complete the package. 

Cheers
Ron   
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Finally got a 17" Meanstreak rear wheel.....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:28 AM »
Here is a picture of the difference.

One the left is my old set up. 16inch wheel with a AVON Venom and on the right is the Meanstreak 17inch with the BT.  The rotor is off of the front of a Nomad.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:04:50 AM »
Your not kidding that the handling is SO GREATLY improved that it is dam near a complete transformation; I can't tell you how pleased I am with how easily my bike rolls into the turns with the 170/60-17 rear and 120/70-17 front and ZZR & ZRX suspension.

If ya decide to go with a Meanstreak front wheel let me know; I've got one that I'm not going to use as I'm just too pleased with the complete ZRX front end.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
hey Tony,
If it is  not too complicated of an install to put that Meanstreak front wheel on  stock Connie  forks I am very  interested.
I assume I can keep the  stock fender and rotors

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:31:46 PM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline throb

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:34:38 PM »
  C'mon guys, seriously??  Now you tell me a Mean Streak front wheel will fit too?  I picked up a GPZ1100 front rim to fill the void in the front.  What, pray tell, is the extra parts/machining/etc. to put a MS rim up front?
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
sas,Where did you come across this perfect buy?????  I have been looking for 6 months and I am pissed.Ha    Am I haintn  YYYEEEAAAA.  Take care Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
Your not kidding that the handling is SO GREATLY improved that it is dam near a complete transformation; I can't tell you how pleased I am with how easily my bike rolls into the turns with the 170/60-17 rear and 120/70-17 front and ZZR & ZRX suspension.

If ya decide to go with a Meanstreak front wheel let me know; I've got one that I'm not going to use as I'm just too pleased with the complete ZRX front end.

T-Cro thanks for the heads up, but will a front Meanstreak wheel work on a stock '06 fork? Thats what I have and was going to go with either a
    Kawasaki ZR750 C1-C3 (1990-1993)
    Kawasaki ZR7/ ZR7S F2/ H1-H5 (2000-2005)
    Kawasaki ZX6 D1-D4 (1990-1993)
    Kawasaki GPZ1100/ZX1100E (1995-1997)

Cheers
    Ron
09 Connie

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »
Anything can be done if you are stubborn enough.  You would have to get conversion bearings, which somebody found but I don't have the number of. You would have to machine custom axle spacers, since the rim is wider at the center than stock.  You would lose the speedo drive, and need to install either a gps speedo or an electronic speedo.  The brake rotors will need to be reversed, and spacers made for the calipers to set them inboard.  When you get done, you will have a heavy wheel that doesn't do anything better than the stocker, except match the rear in style.  Most of the good modern sport touring tires you are looking at for the rear, are made in 110/80-18. 
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F