Author Topic: buying OEM plastic ...  (Read 5540 times)

Offline topsy_t

buying OEM plastic ...
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
Any recommendations on where to buy a couple of OEM body panels online?  Not sure if it makes any difference with the body parts vs. buying hard parts.

Thanks
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: buying OEM plastic ...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche

Or check e-bay, there is uaually a lot on there

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
Been looking at ebay, either the parts are busted up, or guys are bidding them up to almost new price.

I wondered if ron ayers was good or not, saw a few negative posts (not here) about them, but about every company will have that.
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
I use Cycle Parts Nation.  They have always done a good job for me.

Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by is Ron Ayer's good or not but I've never had any trouble with them.  Something to remember about buying body panels is that when you order one, that's what you get.  Nothing else.  No well nuts, no shielding, no decals, no nothing.  Just the plastic body panel.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »

Here is another one you can try for price comparison.  I've had good luck with them.

http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KUS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
ronayers.com
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
+1 Ron Ayers

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »
In addition to Ron Ayers, RCR is another good choice.  I've bought from them several times.  First rate customer service every time, and pricing w/ free shipping keeps coming up less than anyone else.

http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Kawasaki
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Dan_from_WA

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
I've had good luck with Ron Ayers and also with Cheap Cycle Parts.  Sometimes one is cheaper, next time the other is.  As far as customer service goes, I would rate Ron Ayers higher, but having said that I have never gotten screwed by Cheap Cycle Parts either-always got my stuff.
Dan
2010 C14 ABS, 1999 Blackbird, 1986 C10, 1981 GS1100E
AMA #395399

Offline topsy_t

For anyone that has replaced a cowling piece with new OEM ...
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:48:09 AM »
I'm going to buy a new OEM cowling piece as shown in the picture.  As was pointed out in my other thread, the new part won't have anything other than the bare plastic piece. 

I need to know if everything will transfer from the old to the new, or if not, what does not transfer.
Thanks
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline scgoan

Re: For anyone that has replaced a cowling piece with new OEM ...
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
I can't answer your question, however I have a suggestion that could save you a lot of money. Within the first 6 months of owning my bike, I dropped it, scratching the same area you did. Instead of replacing the plastic I covered it up with custom piece of Techspec. I think I spent something like $20 to cover both sides and my bags. I designed a small 2" wide piece that went up the length of the vents. I went a head and had some pieces made up for the bags too, even though they weren't scratched. If I were to lay the bike down the techspec would protect the areas and not further scratch up the paint. I think it actually looks good that way...it matches the Techspec (snake skin) I have on my tank. If anyone is interested, I'll take a picture later on today.

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »
Good idea, but I'm getting ready to sell it, so it should be replaced.
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline Big Iron

• Sure don't want to offend anyone...
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
Yeah, scgoan, I'd like to see what you did. Post a pic. Was it done with pieces you cut from TechSpec?
C-14

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 09:03:58 AM »
Maybe start a new thread, so hopefully I can get an answer to my original question.  Thanks
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »
What answer are you looking for?  I thought that there were several posts with different vendors carrying Kawi parts for you to choose from.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »
I'm going to buy a new OEM cowling piece as shown in the picture.  As was pointed out in my other thread, the new part won't have anything other than the bare plastic piece. 

I need to know if everything will transfer from the old to the new, or if not, what does not transfer.
Thanks

I had to replace that exact cowling.  The only way you can determine what you can reuse is to try to remove all the included parts and decals.  What you can remove, you don't have to order.  All you get is the plastic shell.  If it ain't silver neutron, you don't get it with the replacement cowling.  I would think that you could not reinstall the decal but someone else may have that answer.  Some remove them and of course they don't put them back.

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »
I'll take it apart tonight and see if anything else is needed, thanks
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 06:36:43 AM »
C1xRider,

For what I wanted to buy, I found the same thing, that after shipping RCR was the best price, so I ordered from them.  Thanks
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »

Thanks

From the appearance, if you're just replacing the panel to sell the bike, I don't think you will get the return on your investment after all is said and done.  I personally would (have, actually) used the color pens from colorrite to fill in those scratches.  They don't to a perfect job but they do a pretty good job and it's pretty hard to spot the scratches.