Author Topic: Question about hauling bike  (Read 6713 times)

Offline timbo

Question about hauling bike
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
Got a question for you guys. Can someone look at their bike and see if you hooked a strap around the lower tree for tieing down the bike, how far out sideways could the tie down point be without touching the plastics on both sides? Thanks!

Offline DenverC-14

Re: Question about hauling bike
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
I did this in July. Yes, you can wrap a strap around the lower triple without issue, but it has to be almost straight down(in line with forks) to make it work. And I wrapped a towel around the strap to keep the fender/fairing from getting marred. Also used canyon dancers as simple holders, with no real pressure on em. Worked great for a cross country ride.

Offline timbo

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
Thanks!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
How many miles will you need to transport it Tim? Is a "fly, buy, ride" an option for ya before the weather sets in??

Offline timbo

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
No it's all good. Will be no problem! It is just a couple of hrs but I have no one to take me.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
No it's all good. Will be no problem! It is just a couple of hrs but I have no one to take me.

I would just take a bus/train/taxi or whatever rather than risk it if it's that close to ya...

Offline Khrome

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Where are you located maybe someone can help you out...
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline timbo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
Southern IL. Its ok, got the trailer hooked up, pulling out in the morning. Got a game plan, plenty of straps and towels.

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
3 straps is all you need.  1 from each side of the lower tripple tree nearly straight down, tighten these 2 first.
Use the third on the rear, make a triangle from the rear wheel to two points a bit behind and to each side, tighten this last it does not need to be too tight.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:11:08 PM »
Don't forget to tie off or chock the front wheel. It can turn when moving and loosen the straps. Don't ask how I know...

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:24 AM »
And D O  N O T  load the handlebars too much.  They snap off.

Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline timbo

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:34:47 AM »
Ok, just a little to stabilize. By the time I pull the front down and tie off the rear on both sides, I dont think it will take much on the handlebars to secure it from side to side. Will have the front tire tied down so cant turn.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
Don't load the front down so much that there is no room for the forks to still compress.  You will bottom them out actually damage them.  I would advise AGAINST Canyon Dancers.  These handlebars are aluminum.....enough said.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline timbo

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
I did not use the canyon dancers, didnt need to. I tied on to the lower triple tree on both sides up front and one thru the rear wheel and she rode great! No problems.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
centerstand or kickstand?  I took mine down to NC last month and had a devil of a time.  First I DID use the canyon dancers and somehow they compacted my grips upward toward the right edge of the handbar (about half an inch).  Also I was hesitant to put on centerstand so tied down with bike on kickstand.   I also put a strap on either side on swing arm.  Wish I had some pics of the best tie down methodology...I'm a lil slow and not grasping totally.

On the flip side, I had a blast of a ride back up to DC from NC!!  5 hours in the saddle from 0500-1000 on the dot.
Will

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »
I've used the canyon dancers, no kick stand or centerstand down.  No additonal straps other than the two on the canyon dancer, 1st gear as a wheel chock.

No issues to report. It had to be the mad pow-ah of KiPass delivering my bike safely with the canyon dancers.  Next time I'll get a pic  :)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »
centerstand or kickstand?  I took mine down to NC last month and had a devil of a time.  First I DID use the canyon dancers and somehow they compacted my grips upward toward the right edge of the handbar (about half an inch).  Also I was hesitant to put on centerstand so tied down with bike on kickstand.   I also put a strap on either side on swing arm.  Wish I had some pics of the best tie down methodology...I'm a lil slow and not grasping totally.

On the flip side, I had a blast of a ride back up to DC from NC!!  5 hours in the saddle from 0500-1000 on the dot.

IF you aren't careful you can load the grips with canyon dancers.  You have to be carefull that there is no lateral load relative to the bars on the grips.  Or they will walk, and if you have heated grips you can destroy them.

NEVER, NEEEEEVER use either the kickstand or centerstand to transport a bike.  You'll see it on the road, but that's a very, very bad way to transport a bike of any type.

Barry

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
Just remember, these are cast bars.........

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »
I am really surprised at the fear of the cast aluminum bar stands. Those things are plenty strong for tying the bike down. I have hauled mine three times with canyon dancers in front and a pair of straps on the "swing arm". I learned the first time to pull the dancer strap tight laterally first before cinching the bike down. It tore up the grips first trip from the dealer. Also need to be sure to keep the dancer strap off of any of the handlebar controls. My kill switch was also slightly damaged by the strap on the first trip. Last two trips behind my motorhome have been trouble free.
I would be hesitant to use the canyon dancer with heated grips though. There is a lot of pressure from the strap and it may damage the heaters.
Tying to the triple clamp doesn't have near the leverage to control the bike that the handlebars do but if you have grip heaters, that is your best shot.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
Assuming your tie down connection points are the same, the triples are FAR more secure than the bars.  Both in where you connect to the bike, and the angles  involved providing a much more appropriate geometry.

Barry