Author Topic: Tank Bra damage?  (Read 6850 times)

Offline ZedHed

Tank Bra damage?
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
A friend of mine just bought a slightly used C14 (2009 Black) and it had a Tank Bra on it.  Well, he didn't like it, and when he took it off, you could see very clearly the marks in the paint where the edge of the bra had worn/dulled the paint.  It looked like dirt became trapped under the edge and then "ground" into the paint when the bra moved slightly during use.  He had to put it back on to cover up the damaged paint.

My question is -- why do people use these things if they don't protect the paint , and actually cause more damage than if nothing was used?  It's like purposely farkeling your bike to damage it?

He was pi$$ed off to say the least......
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Tank Bra damage?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »
Just like the paint everywhere else on a bike, the paint under the tank bra requires regular cleaning too. You must regularly remove the bra, clean the underside of the bra, and clean and wax the tank regularly. I assure you the scratches from the crotch of his pants would have pissed him off too.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
Just like the paint everywhere else on a bike, the paint under the tank bra requires regular cleaning too. You must regularly remove the bra, clean the underside of the bra, and clean and wax the tank regularly. I assure you the scratches from the crotch of his pants would have pissed him off too.

But the Tankslapper and TechSpec products DON'T move around or trap dust and truly protect the paint
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
They are nice products but I don't trust their long term sticking abilities with constant contact with my pants so I went with the tank bra and tech spec on the sides. I'm sure they've worked for other people though.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
I've run tank bra's on many bikes and love em, as long as you take them off every now and then for cleaning and waxing (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) all will be well. The magnet ones are in the same boat, if you don't take them off every now and then for cleaning under them they will also leave a mark.

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »

My question is -- why do people use these things if they don't protect the paint , and actually cause more damage than if nothing was used?  It's like purposely farkeling your bike to damage it?

He was pi$$ed off to say the least......

Because some of us like them and we don't give two sh!ts what the next owner cares about. It is our bike we paid the price for the new bike we can do what we want with it.
No one put a gun to his head and made him buy that particular bike. There are way too many C-14 for sale.

Your buddy probably got a good deal on the bike... 7,000.00? 8,000.00?

/Rant

Buddy was pissed? F him... Sorry, I had to say it. I know not politically correct for This Forum.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Just get some rubbing compound and it'll take it out.  I had some marks on the top of my bags where some other items had rubbed the paint.  I put some rubbing compound on it and you can't even tell.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
Because some of us like them and we don't give two sh!ts what the next owner cares about. It is our bike we paid the price for the new bike we can do what we want with it.
No one put a gun to his head and made him buy that particular bike. There are way too many C-14 for sale.

Your buddy probably got a good deal on the bike... 7,000.00? 8,000.00?

/Rant

Buddy was pissed? F him... Sorry, I had to say it. I know not politically correct for This Forum.

Dang Mike, rough day at work?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
Based on this conversation, I'm going bra-less for the duration.  I don't care what the consequences may be...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Based on this conversation, I'm going bra-less for the duration.  I don't care what the consequences may be...

I won't be bailing you out of jail, sir!
I feel like a new person!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »

Be free Jim!!  :chugbeer:

:yikes: 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:04:07 PM »
Is that two more reasons why we should all wear helmets and eye protection?

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
But, the tassles stay, right?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
But of course they do....

Flathead

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
But, the tassles stay, right?
But are they on the bar ends or?????

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »
Well, they are on the 'ends' so to speak. At least that is where most people wear them it seems.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »
FIFY!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:53 AM »
The top of the Targa bra has a bad angle (too viertical) and seems like it is receptive to catching stuff.  Also, the front tire likes to throw small pebbles up along the forks, and onto the tank or into the riders lap, which can get caught by the bra.  As previously stated, clean and polish regularly.

However, it is still the buyers responsibility to inspect everything before buying a used bike, so really your buddy can't. blame anyone else.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
My first and only experience with a vehicle bra was in 1983 on my Supra. Paid $120 for the bra and sold it 4 days later for $75. In those 4 days I could already see scratches and scuffing in the paint. I will NEVER use a bra again on ANY vehicle. I would much rather buff out the scratches from my jacket or pants then from a bra that I paid for and installed. Waste of money in my opinion.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200