Author Topic: Question for those with GPS  (Read 2858 times)

Offline bouts

Question for those with GPS
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
Today I came up with a proposed route that I wanted to follow, from one intersestion to the next, to the next, and so on.  It was when I wanted to program my GPS that I discovered it wouldn't accept that sort of programing, it would do addresses or intersections in town, but a grid, or the intersection of two highways in a county, wasn't doable.  So I got to thinking what GPS would allow that?  I have a Magellan Meastro, this is the unit that isn't allowing that.   I also have a Garmin Etrex Legend, that works with Mapsource.  So, I could make the route on Mapsource, then download to the Etrex and let it guide me along this route.  I assume, that provided I purchase the more detailed mapsets, I would be able to run the route with the Legend.  I'm considering picking up a used GPSMap 60 and use that on the bike, instead of the Legend.  Bigger screen, water resistance, and routable.  Now, those that have GPS on the bikes, what systems are you using, and are you making routes with Mapsource or other and downloading to the GPS for the ride?  Thanks in advance.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Question for those with GPS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
I have the Garmin 760. I can program it in a couple of ways. If it is fairly simple the easiest may be programming it directly. Otherwise I can also use the Harley Ride Planner to establish the route and then download it to the device.

Offline bouts

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
Thanks Tim, I'll look at the route planner and see if the Legend I have will route on roads.  Either way, I think I'll need to buy, at least, the upgraded road maps.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
I have an XL340 TomTom. I use freeware called Tyre to plan out routing. Seems to work fine for me.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline bouts

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Tyre sounds interesting, looks like it may work with Garmin too, I'll havde to look into that a little closer.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »
Tyre sounds interesting, looks like it may work with Garmin too, I'll havde to look into that a little closer.
It does work with Garmin also. At least it appears to. I have no Garmin to check it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline dbethel

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »
I use a Garmin Zumo 550, Mapsource for me was difficult to operate, the Harley Davidson ride planner works well and the route can be modified easily.
D.

Offline bouts

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:21 AM »
Thanks  for the options,  I've been playing with them and seeing how they work, I think I'm going to hae to upgrade the GPS for one with a bigger screen.  the Legend just doesn't cut it! And, the Magellan, welll.....  I think I'll look at the GPSMap series, that way I can download the route, combine that with the geocaching, and have roads and maps.  Almost the whole bundle!

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
There's a free program out there called ITNConv.exe, uses google maps and makes downloadable files.  Not fantastic but it works and what do you expect for free?  It also does conversions from one file format to another.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F