Author Topic: Kosman rear wheel widening service....  (Read 8844 times)

Offline throb

Kosman rear wheel widening service....
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
Anyone have their rear wheel modified to 17" by Kosman?  If so, how much was it?  I checked their website but there are no prices I can find.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Kosman rear wheel widening service....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Steve in sunny Flordia has one. The price was listed on their work order form. But I seem to recall that it was right around 550.00 not including the repaint.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
Yeah, it's on the price form, i think it was around 505 or so - mine was done maybe 3 years ago, right around the time Dan was experimenting with installing the meanstreak wheel. The meanstreak mod will cost less, but I wanted to stay with matching rims for the "sleeper" effect - then like a dope I had 'em powdercoated black chameleon.

If you're interested, click on my site in my sig line, and then go to the photo gallery. Some really nice close up pics of the weld (after dressing, or course). Steve

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
To kind of chime in here as they say them was the good ole days. The old price was right around what Steve said about 550.00 which for everything that they do was a decent price, However when I was doing my farkling to my 06 in the off season I was pumped up had the money ready to go called them and could not believe what I was told.  They came up with some story that the new pricing was in effect about 2 days before I called and that now everything was included on the pricing and they had a little price increase. Dont quote me but I believe the total was around closer to 850. or 875.00 includng shipping which is a joke.  You are talking about close to 1000.00 by the time you do new bearings and powdercoating.  I asked him about the tough economic times and all, to no avail they stick firm in the new pricing.  I researched it and there was a guy in the New Jersey area a while back that did about the same type of work, my son had his Aprillia Mille when he was doing track days widened by this guy.  However they are out of buisness. So as far as I know there isnt anybody on the east coast.  Kossman I think knows this and now the price goes out of site.  There is no reason why this could not be done for I believe in the 400.00 to 500.00 dollar range.  If so I bet he would have more than he could handle. Just my humble opinon and we all no thats just like big ole a..  Holes everybody has one,   If they get there heart right let me know what kind of new ricing you come up with plsr.  Regards Steve
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
I recommend  the Mean Streak  upgrade. Nice bang for the buck. I got lucky and found a good rim for $150 and $50 for machining, a new rotor (from a Vucan Nomad front ) and a new tire and I was finished.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
I think Daytona Mike is correct, that would be the way to go. If not you can hold out for the potential new dual compound avons that are suppose to be coming out in the 16 inch size.
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Thank you everyone for the info.... :hail:   I would have considered it for the $500-$550 range, but $850 is insane.  You could buy a new Mean Streak rim from Mama Kaw for that and still have a good chunk of change left over.   :nuts:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline onroule

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »
Hello,

I had one made last year by Kosman. First, let say that Kosman is not the owner of this place anymore. He has sold his business to 2 brothers named Stefanno. The first time I got the wheel the place where the tire bead sit was very rough. Also the wheel was out of Kawasaki spec regarding straightness. I contacted them and had to returne the wheel at my own expense. They send it back telling me the wheel was OK. I recheck it and it was the same. I had to put a bead sealer to prevent leaking. They also wanted me to pay the shipping. I am riding with this wheel and  it is OK but if I had to start it over, I would go with the Mean Streak wheel.

Ride safe,
Michel

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:43:15 AM »
Kosman, Onroule thats what I am talking about I dont know what the heck is going on with them, but i knew something had gone wrong, they bottom line stink now its a shame with all the Haas milling machines and Kitamyura milling machines out there and so many good quality machinist out of work, You can pick up a used machine pretty decently priced.  I would think that there has to be somebody out there thinking about some competion in this arena.  I am no good at welding so I dont have the knowwithall.  Anybody anybody   BUELLER !!!!!!!!   

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
That's a lot of hassle to go through when you could have a Meanie wheel with a STOCK right angle valve and not have a weld on it. If you are going down to 17" on the front (and you will) who cares about it matching the stock rear? I just got back from the West Coast and I never had so much fun in the mountains. I checked the wear on the rear and it's far better than a new 16" tire would have been. Gas mileage went down but fun factor is way up and I was in 6th gear over all the passes. Since I'm a qualified aluminum welder let me add that making a Kossman is a lot of work. All things going smoothly I don't think I could weld one in less than 1/2 day. Plus, you'd better be sure all your jig work is 100% perfect or your customer is going to be riding a clown-cycle. Like onroule pointed out, YOU'D BETTER BE PERFECT! I'll take the Mean streak wheel eight ways to Sunday!
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"