Author Topic: woops!! rode a C14.  (Read 6955 times)

Offline tbunder

woops!! rode a C14.
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
On the way home from the TT races at Peoria, IL lastnight, I had the opportunity to ride a 2009 C14 for 80 miles. It had an aftermarket Corbin seat on it, a shortened oem muffler and that was it for mods. First off, the thing is astonishingly fast, quick, powerful, etc. It is unbelievable how much more powerful it is. I won't make this a book so I will sum it up rather quickly. The (probably) $400 seat felt like a slab of wood, was not soft at all. I have a first gen. Concours seat on my '01 and it's like a pillow- soft enough while being firm enough not to smash. I weigh 150lbs. fwiw. Another thing, I like the analog (still) gauges on the C14 but the fuel and temp gauges being digital were harder to read than the analog C10's. The fuel-injection was instantaneous and perfectly crisp vs. my not bad carb which needs a min to warm up. The C10 mirrors I think are better placed and are not blocked by the bags. The LED taillight on the C14 is not bright. The C14 falls into corners vs. the C10, obviously because of the lower profile tires. This is something I don't care about since I use the bike to tour and not race. I felt like my rear brake was more powerful but the fronts (non abs model btw) were much more powerful. The suspension on the C14 was more taut and the bike of course was just more refined. Would I trade my rare blue '01 in mint condition that is paid for and can cruise (so far on this tank) 240 miles before needing reserve? Not hardly, but it is a tough decision. It is tempting but I just cannot justify the probably $4000 or more it would take to sell mine and buy a used '08 C14. My C10 is plush, adequate enough in power, is easy to work on, parts are easy to get, blah blah blah. Maybe in a few years I can find it rational to have two Concours in the garage. Did I mention the C14 has a killer electric windscreen?  :P

forgot to mention that the C14 put my right hand to sleep as well- even with a throttle rocker. the hydraulic fluid containers mounted on the bars were plastic on the C14 vs. the metal ones on the C10. And, finally- the bags on the C14 are smaller and painted. You can't just accidentally bump one and touch it up with a sharpie or something. their beautiful finish is just as fragile as the paint on the tank. This is how I analogize my old C10 if you call a ten year old bike old, but it is from the '80s essentially, so.......anyways, it's like a really hot 45 year old milf where the C14 is a really busy, athletic, tight bodied and overly motivated 25-year old. ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:06:27 PM by tbunder »

Offline Mettler1

Re: woops!! rode a C14.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
  340 miles before reserve??  And thanks for the comparision. I kinda feel the same way.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline tbunder

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »
  340 miles before reserve??  And thanks for the comparision. I kinda feel the same way.

doh! I meant 240 miles. lol
now that WOULD be some good mileage wouldn't it?  ;D

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »
anyways, it's like a really hot 45 year old milf where the C14 is a really busy, athletic, tight bodied and overly motivated 25-year old. ;D

That is a great analogy!  Thank you!
Tori '01

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »
 c-14's are impressive for sure. Milf's are pretty interesting too  ;D Steve

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
My feelings too.  Been looking at diff bikes and have not found anything that functions as well for me as what I have now, 1987 C10.

I haven't ruled out a new sport-tour or big v-twin but for now I'm content.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Every time I get the itch for a new bike I scratch that itch by riding my C-10. I've had it almost 8 years now and it's never let me down. It runs as good today as the day I bought it. It's never seen a day in anybody's shop but my own and it's paid for. I know it won't last forever and someday I'll have to move on but I hope that's a long time from now.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
Every time I get the itch for a new bike I scratch that itch by riding my C-10. I've had it almost 8 years now and it's never let me down. It runs as good today as the day I bought it. It's never seen a day in anybody's shop but my own and it's paid for. I know it won't last forever and someday I'll have to move on but I hope that's a long time from now.

That is how I feel about my C14, I love that fact that I don't owe a dime on it and it is a complete blast to ride.  And practical to boot.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline tbunder

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
these new bikes are all overpriced. they still have two wheels, an engine, and brakes. not many people need the power of the 14 and don't have the talent to utilize it's potential. like I said, it was an awesome bike but for $10G-$12G vs. my '01 I paid virtually nothing for, it's a no brainer. plus, I find it funner to pull up on an old bike with roots vs. a new one that looks just like the newest beemer or yamaha to roll off the factory floor. plus, challenging things like finding tires or parts for such an old bike gets me going.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of replacing my 86 with a later model (2000 or newer) but have thought about moving up to a C14. Thing is, like you mentioned, everytime I ride it I am reminded how much I like it.

Some questions for those who have/had both:
   How is the protection in rain or cold compare?
  Okay, that's all I got :D
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tbunder

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the review. I have been thinking of replacing my 86 with a later model (2000 or newer) but have thought about moving up to a C14. Thing is, like you mentioned, everytime I ride it I am reminded how much I like it.

Some questions for those who have/had both:
   How is the protection in rain or cold compare?
  Okay, that's all I got :D

I love the '86 model. It is somewhat special due to the lower bars and shorter screen. I just think the Concours was way ahead of its time. I just rode to Peoria with my uncle who owns an '04 BMW K1200GT, his friend who owns an '03 Ducati ST3, and my buddy who had the C14. My '01 C10 did not look too much out of place or dated unless you sit it beside the C14. I just think the C14 has a more 'gold wing' look to it vs. the other two bikes I mentioned and the C10 which look more sporty imo. the '86's silver paint is truly beautiful as well. riding the C14 and looking at it's meager windshield, I can guarantee you'd get wetter in a rainstorm riding the 14 vs the 10- which, in my one experience riding in the rain with a 21" shield, I stayed totally dry.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
That is a great analogy!  Thank you!

From now on, my sexy red 2000 that I've always thought of as Ann (as in Ann Margaret) is now and forever more known casually (to me...) as a Cougar not a Connie!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
the real question is....would you take a milf over a c - 14?

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
Thanks for the review. I was going to upgrade to the Concours14. But reading about a few things on the Concours14 forum did make me worry about trouble later on, as the Concours14 ages. I also discovered that the people on the Concours14 forum have some bullies who make nasty comments, assumptions and accusations about you if you ask question the bike about some of the systems. I determined that most of the Concours14 crowd wasn't for me. I never did try the big Concours. But that may be better. Not being a power monger, the 05 does fine. If you have trouble with it. Most of the time you can make repairs and get on your way. Plus the people on this forum do not seem to be such bullies, like on the Concours14 forum.  I've always felt comfortable here. Just like the older motorcycle. The older forum crowd also seems much more user friendly.
2005 Concours

Offline tbunder

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the review. I was going to upgrade to the Concours14. But reading about a few things on the Concours14 forum did make me worry about trouble later on, as the Concours14 ages. I also discovered that the people on the Concours14 forum have some bullies who make nasty comments, assumptions and accusations about you if you ask question the bike about some of the systems. I determined that most of the Concours14 crowd wasn't for me. I never did try the big Concours. But that may be better. Not being a power monger, the 05 does fine. If you have trouble with it. Most of the time you can make repairs and get on your way. Plus the people on this forum do not seem to be such bullies, like on the Concours14 forum.  I've always felt comfortable here. Just like the older motorcycle. The older forum crowd also seems much more user friendly.

never thought being 40 would put me in the "older" crowd.  ;D
but really, the C14 has nothing to be arrogant about, the thing is nice and has power that no one needs, but the bike still made my right hand go numb, my ass cheeks asking for my 20-year old first gen. seat back, and my bank account is very relieved I have decided not to make the "upgrade".
now if I can only get this fuel I got with water in it lastnight burned it'll be okay once again. >:(

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
I also discovered that the people on the Concours14 forum have some bullies who make nasty comments, assumptions and accusations about you if you ask question the bike about some of the systems. I determined that most of the Concours14 crowd wasn't for me.

Oh come on, seriously? There are always some bad apples on every forum, but to generalize all C14 riders.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
... people on the Concours14 forum have some bullies who make nasty comments, assumptions and accusations about you if you ask question the bike about some of the systems...
Yeah, only one person on the C10 forum like that.  I wonder how many people have made their lives better by using Profile -> Modify Profile -> Buddies / Ignore List -> Edit Ignore List
Very satisfying to see "You are ignoring this user" in the middle of a thread. ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »

I'm not a big Kawi fan, but 41,000 miles on my 2010 C14 and I haven't even had to so much as adjust the throttle cable or fuel injection idling.  Best bike I've ever owned.

Now, for the record i still think HONDA is better hahah
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
I also discovered that the people on the Concours14 forum have some bullies who make nasty comments, assumptions and accusations about you if you ask question the bike about some of the systems. I determined that most of the Concours14 crowd wasn't for me.

Hope I wasn't one of those people and if so i apologize, most know not to take me (or the Internet) too seriously yanno

And if you think C14 riders have a 'tude, check this out - the guy in this car wouldn't even share any grey poupon with me!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tbunder

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
this thread really needed no replies to begin with. moderator, if you would delete all unnecessary replies including some of mine, and then lock it, it would really be appreciated. otherwise, it's just turning into mudslinging and waste of space and time. thx :)