Author Topic: Where to put the extra transponder/key?!?  (Read 9216 times)

Offline cheapbastard

Where to put the extra transponder/key?!?
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
So in about 4 days, I'm westward bound, after hitting the MotoGP race at Indy of course.  ;D  At anyrate, I've always thought it was a good idea to hide an extra key on the bike for long trips. Problem is, if I hide the extra transponder on the Connie, someone could ride off into the sunset with her.  :nuts: :yikes:

So any of you trip takers got any suggestions for me?  :chugbeer:

Offline jonathan

Re: Where to put the extra transponder/key?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
Either take the battery out of it or wrap it in tin foil.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »
On long trips, I carry one fob in a pants pocket (where it always is whether I am riding or not) and the other one <usually> in my riding jacket. On a trip I would not ride without my jacket and / or pants anyway so I would end up with both fobs with me. You can hide one on the bike if you wrap it in aluminum foil or take the battery out of it but that seems unnecessarily complicated to me. If you want, you can put both fobs in the same pocket and one or both will work fine (how could you tell if it was one or both working?). I carry them in separate locations to minimize the chances of losing both fobs in some type of freak accident.... like a dead rodent playing a nasty trick on me.

Normally I carry one fob at all times in my pants pocket (I don't do much without pants on and nothing that requires a fob  (go ahead, comment on that one) ) and my wife carries the other. That way either of us can get into the saddlebags whenever we want without having to track down the other person, ask for the fob, etc.

Brian

So in about 4 days, I'm westward bound, after hitting the MotoGP race at Indy of course.  ;D  At anyrate, I've always thought it was a good idea to hide an extra key on the bike for long trips. Problem is, if I hide the extra transponder on the Connie, someone could ride off into the sunset with her.  :nuts: :yikes:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
I remember a posting from before "the crash" that mentioned wrapping the transponder in aluminum foil would effectively block communication between the transponder and the bike's electronics (I haven't tested this idea).  You could do that and hide the transponder on the bike.  I assume you have a 2008 or 2009.  With 2010+, the spare transponder only works when positioned next to the ignition key, so this spare can be hidden on the bike without the foil wrap.
2010 C14 ABS

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »
It is rumored someone hides his in his flask?

I have my spare in my tool bag, battery seperate from the fob, along with a new spare.  I keep my tool bag in the trunk, which requires a key that I keep in my tank bag (spare in my riding pants).  I wonder if my spare fob even works? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
I don't carry a spare.  The riding fob stays in my front jeans pocket.  It's never taken out.  I have spare keys to operate everything else on  a key chain attached to my belt.  If the battery dies and I'm not near a store I use the backup method of putting the fob near the ignition switch until I get a new one (very commonplace).  The spare fob stays in my house at an undisclosed location.  If I lose the riding fob, I'll buy a Honda.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
I don't carry a spare.  The riding fob stays in my front jeans pocket.  It's never taken out.  I have spare keys to operate everything else on  a key chain attached to my belt.  If the battery dies and I'm not near a store I use the backup method of putting the fob near the ignition switch until I get a new one (very commonplace).  The spare fob stays in my house at an undisclosed location. If I lose the riding fob, I'll buy a Honda.

Something disposable huh?

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »
muchas gracias BDF. How come I didn't think of that?  :loco:

One in the jacket, and one in the pants it is(insert bad genitalia joke here).  ;D

Maybe Steve would even be proud because I'd be doubling my KIPASS capacity?!?  :thumbs:

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
Last trip I gave it to one of the guys I was riding with.  Riding locally, mine sits in my home in a disclosed location.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
  The spare fob stays in my house at an undisclosed location. 

I'll disclose my location. It's in my gunsafe. If you can get past the guns and the safe, you can have the bike. :P

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
Having been on a ride with a guy who lost his fob, I learned a few things. For one your fob should be in a deep zipped pocket. The buddy who lost his fob had placed it in a non zipped side jacket pocket. The fob fell out of his pocket and was found later much laterbut on the same day at least. Lucky!!

I have my second fob in a place where my wife could grab it and over night it if needed. Yeah, I might be down for a day if I'm a long ways out. I am very mindfull of the location of the fob I have on hand. Always in a deep pocket or a zipped pocket. 
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline CitrusC14

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
How many FOBs do you all have.  When I bought my bike (brand new from dealer two months ago) I was give one FOB and one spare key.  Is that correct or is the dealer holding out on me?

Thanks,  Tim

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »
I bought my 08 in early August 07.  I received two fobs, one with a key and one without.  The second fob was sans plastic bag.  The plastic bag is important in that it has the code needed to program the KIPASS ECU.  This really isn't an issue assuming the fob stays with the original bike.  We've had people selling them without that code and they are worthless without it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 04:41:45 AM »
I thought you kept your FOB on your janitor key-chain?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:58 AM »

as a direct answer to your question, I take my "regular" FOB in my pants pocket at all times, and for the extra FOB I put a little piece of paper isolating the battery still in the FOB, which I put in my backpack (not in the hardbags, obviously) together with important documentation like my ID or the bikes manual. Works well for me.
Additionally, let me suggest you not to mention in a public internet forum where and when are you going with a motorcycle that is pretty much undrivable without the FOB, and taking suggestions as to where to "hide" the FOB in the bike...  :o
We are all nice folks here, until somebody isn't.

To some other forum member's question, I bought my '08 in March '09 and got 2 FOBs with their key, no bags  :banghead:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:28:36 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »
I thought you kept your FOB on your janitor key-chain?

:)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:39:26 AM »
How many FOBs do you all have.  When I bought my bike (brand new from dealer two months ago) I was give one FOB and one spare key.  Is that correct or is the dealer holding out on me?

The older Concours (08/09) comes with two active FOBs.
The newer Concours (10/11) comes with one active FOB and one (smaller/thinner) passive FOB.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 07:11:51 AM »
MARTIN - 14
 I bought a new 09 last year and got the same as you, 2 fobs but no plastic bag with the code on it. I called the dealer and of course they gave me the typical dealer answer "THERE WAS NO PLASTIC BAG"

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jonathan

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
The older Concours (08/09) comes with two active FOBs.
The newer Concours (10/11) comes with one active FOB and one (smaller/thinner) passive FOB.

This. All C14 should come with 2 fobs.

Note that "fobs" does not need to be capitalised because it is not an abbreviation.

fob    /fɒb/  Show Spelled[fob]  Show IPA
noun
1. a small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc. Compare watch pocket.
2. a short chain or ribbon, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, attached to a watch and worn hanging from a pocket.
3. the medallion or ornament itself.