Author Topic: Anyone else have a haunted windshield lift mechanism?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
Anyone else have a haunted windshield lift mechanism?
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
Sorry I'm late, I just logged back on to the "new" forum, guess I'm starting back at ground zero.  Oh well, I'm sure things here haven't changed that much. 
What I've been experiencing for most of the time I've had my 2009 ABS is a mysterious issue with the windshield height adjustment.  Occasionally, the windshield will just stop responding to the switch.  So far, it has always been in the full-down position when this has happened.  Nothing I do to the switch will make the windshield move at all.  Generally, I get tired of pushing the switch up and down, and just ride for a while, then the next time I happen to touch the switch, up it goes.  From that point on, it usually works fine for the rest of the day. 
This is so random and intermittant, that so far it has never stuck around long enough for me to diagnose it.  When I park the bike and get out the trusty multi-meter, that darn windshield goes up and down with military precision.  I can almost hear it mocking me. 
Anybody experienced anything similar?
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Anyone else have a haunted windshield lift mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
Sounds like you have a electrical gremlin, as you probably already suspected (comment about grabbing the multi-meter).

Has it ever failed when trying to put the shield down?  If not, then you may be able to narrow the search to the relays (either could be at fault), the handle bar switch, and the wires between them.  Gently tugging on the wires while trying the switch could induce the failure, if it's a bad wire or connection.

Otherwise, you might want to poke around the fuse boxes under the seat, and gently tug on the wires around the windshield fuse (box 3, fuse 4).  Also take a close look at the fuse itself.

Next time it's in the fail mode, tap gently but firmly on the relays while pushing the button to test.  If it suddenly starts working, you might just have a bad relay.

If it only fails in one direction, you can pretty much rule out the motor, as it's only two wires, and the relays change the polarity to the motor.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
Could be a loose connection somewhere or just a dirty switch, I would try cleaning the switch first with some contact cleaner, cover any painted parts  under the switch first.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:01 AM »
Could be a loose connection somewhere or just a dirty switch, I would try cleaning the switch first with some contact cleaner, cover any painted parts  under the switch first.

+1

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »

I thought about that one too, but it seems that with enough attempts of pushing on the switch, it would start working.  Perhaps there is something in the switch that limits it's travel, so the rider can't put excess force against the contacts.

Either way, good suggestion.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250