Author Topic: how many ounces of beads?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Silver Connie

how many ounces of beads?
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
for a front tire? these are kind of expensive. $20 an oz. is there a cheaper kind? i think i can get mount and balance for that?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: how many ounces of beads?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
for a front tire? these are kind of expensive. $20 an oz. is there a cheaper kind? i think i can get mount and balance for that?
  about 8 oz for the front

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart
I'm not sure where you got your pricing from? Are you buying Crarck or Dyna beads :o
I have twenty oz that I will sell your $50
Just kidding you can pick up 10oz for under $20
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »
I'll relate my recent, very personal experience. My front, stock size tire, had 2ozs of wheel weights determined by a spin balancer from the local Cycle Gear store that I personally balanced. Didn't have any balance issues, just wanted to see if I could do away with the external weights.
I tried the dyna beads, installed 2 ozs based on that chart, removed the external wheel weights. Got up to about 65 mph on the hwy I commute on twice daily, had the WORST tire bounce/shudder, whatever you want to call it. Went home, and reinstalled the wheel weights, re rode route, no problem. Took tire/rim to CG that weekend for a balance re-check, with the wheel weights removed, dyna beads in, the spin balancer showed a need for 2oz of wheel weights. I marked the spot where the weights needed to go. Added another oz of Dyna beads, no change and the balancer still highlighted the same spot needing weights.
I know others have expressed success with the weights. I watched/read all the research I could find, wanted it to work, but no way on my bike, on my tires. I also used the beads on the rear tire, same results. 
I'd offer you mine for free, but they are loaded in the tire, might be a few months before I can get them out  ;)

Of course, YMMV, some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission. No implied or expressed warranty. Your volume may need to be adjusted, don't take any wooden nickels, yada, yada,

My 0.02
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:34:08 PM »
  about 8 oz for the front

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart
I'm not sure where you got your pricing from? Are you buying Crarck or Dyna beads :o
I have twenty oz that I will sell your $50
Just kidding you can pick up 10oz for under $20

8 oz?  How did you figure that?
Maybe that was the problem I had, not enough beads?
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
8 oz?  How did you figure that?
Maybe that was the problem I had, not enough beads?
Well I figured it out in a hurry coupled with the fact that I cant read so gooder. I was looking at trucks :nuts:  Sorry about that.
I have used beads in every one of my bike tires and absolutely love them.
I dont know if you can compare solid weights to beads as far as oz.  Beads work differently (by magic)

Motorcycle applications are easy for all bikes, 2 wheel or 3 wheel
Front
80 - 120 mm tire width     
1 oz

80 - 120 mm tire width (BMW Telelever only)
2 oz

130 mm tire width 
2 oz

Rear
130 mm - 240 mm width
2 oz

250 mm - 360mm tire width
2 oz

2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »
Ah so, gotcha, so 2 ozs is correct for the front. Thought I might have had a comprehension situation, been known to happen.

I wasn't trying to compare the wheel weights to beads.
But I did a direct comparison back to back testing, on and off the bike of a wheel balanced with weights only, then, with beads only .  I thought the point is the beads are supposed to balance an out of balance tire no matter what. It didn't accomplish that on mine. The only way my tires where balanced was with external weights. With the beads only installed, it just did not work on MY tires. I just did not have the results others have expressed.  :(
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
I have done a good bit of research on the beads. As it turns out, all they are is blasting media, so I bought about 6 #'s of beads. I was gonna offer them on my site, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You cannot static balance with beads, nor can you use a low speed spin balancer. the idea is that high centrifical energy forces the beads out against the inside of the tire, and bumps re-distribute them. That's how the constant re - balancing works. Some believe in them, some don't. I ran over 140 mph on my c-10 with tires balanced with beads. smooth as silk. YMMV - steve

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
I tried the dyna beads, installed 2 ozs based on that chart, removed the external wheel weights. Got up to about 65 mph on the hwy I commute on twice daily, had the WORST tire bounce/shudder, whatever you want to call it. Went home, and reinstalled the wheel weights, re rode route, no problem.

Yep, 65 mph were a little more than the balancing machine, plenty of "bumps" too. Did not work, front or rear tire. And if the beads were not "working" with the "low speed" balancer than that extra 2 or 3 ozs of beads in the tire should have caused inconsistent readings. I'll stand in the non believer line with this physical, personal proof. I wanted to believe in them, wanted them to work, but not.........
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
Yep, 65 mph were a little more than the balancing machine, plenty of "bumps" too. Did not work, front or rear tire. And if the beads were not "working" with the "low speed" balancer than that extra 2 or 3 ozs of beads in the tire should have caused inconsistent readings. I'll stand in the non believer line with this physical, personal proof. I wanted to believe in them, wanted them to work, but not.........

I am a lead weight user, and will never consider the beads as an alternative for my needs, and as I am on a C14, it's all moot.
I do suggest that 2oz of lead weights would have me breaking the bead down again, and rotating the tire on the rim before stacking that much lead on one place. just a suggestion.....

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
I own an off-road shop and use balancing beads all the time in large tires. Not sure if this applies to motorcycle mounting but here goes. Tire must be free of any foreign substance in the tire and DRY. If ANY lubricant is used to mount the tire it must be done carefully, a couple of drops of liquid inside the tire and your screwed. The air source used to fill the tire has to be a clean and DRY source! Remember the balancing beads must be free to move around inside the tire to be able to do their job.

Almost forgot, we use 8 ounces of beads on a 33" diameter tire and 10 of 35-37". I would think 1 once would be perfect for a front tire.

My 2 cents!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
I am a lead weight user, and will never consider the beads as an alternative for my needs, and as I am on a C14, it's all moot.
I do suggest that 2oz of lead weights would have me breaking the bead down again, and rotating the tire on the rim before stacking that much lead on one place. just a suggestion.....

+1

I ain't drinkin' the kool-aid and putting beads in any tires I own on any vehicle or bike
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
You should try it! The Kool-aid is super duper cool! And it makes my tongue purple. That's my favorite part. *hic*

I use airsoft bbs on my truck tires. Lots cheaper than the dynabeads but they are too big to fit through the valve stem.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
+1

I ain't drinkin' the kool-aid and putting beads in any tires I own on any vehicle or bike
I don't see what your C-14 has to do with anything. My father has been using beads in his Goldwing going on four years now and no problems with his tps.
2002 Conc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
I don't see what your C-14 has to do with anything. My father has been using beads in his Goldwing going on four years now and no problems with his tps.

best of luck to your father in law. Do you repair his bike? ???
Not to be disrespectful chris, but I paid for MY bike, and I do my maintainance, and pay for that also. I choose not to do anything I feel may have consequences that may cost me money. ;)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
best of luck to your father in law. Do you repair his bike? ???
Not to be disrespectful chris, but I paid for MY bike, and I do my maintainance, and pay for that also. I choose not to do anything I feel may have consequences that may cost me money. ;)
No disrespect taken, and yes I actually do most of his work on his bike. 
I do understand your point of view.  I wasnt challenging you; I was just inquiring if your tps was the reason your were not using beads.
Its all good MOB, I'm lazy, the beads work for my C-10. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for everyone :grouphug:
2002 Conc

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
well the dyna bead website showed the local harley dealer as being the only one in this area having their product. probably why they are so expensive. ill try to find some blasting media at work.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
Beads are the balls ... or are the balls, beads??

Which ever way you want to look at it they work great in my tires ... Pilot GT's with 8500 miles and counting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:03:13 PM by turbojoe78 »
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
i found some shot blast media. i dont know if its the same size as the dyna beads.  what are the dyna beads made of. this is steel shot. tiny little round balls about the size of pin heads. does this sound like dyna beads?

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:31:44 AM »
best I can tell the beads are made of glass or some other ceramic substance. I would not want steel in my tires. they could rust was to easily them begin to clump up.
2002 Conc